advertisement

Top comedy sketches / pieces

A couple of sketches with a theme:

Jerry Lewis ambulance sketch​

I remember having to hold on to something while watching it otherwise I would have been rolling on the floor.

Frank Spencer on roller skates​

One of my favourites is the monty python "bicycle repair man" sketch in which everyone in (possibly Milton Keynes) is dressed as superman and is either walking or riding bikes.

The lead cyclist falls off his bike when the chain becomes detached and everyone stands around helplessly saying "this is a case for "bicycle repairman".
Bicycle Repair Man (Michael Palin) hears this and sets off with his toolbag and proceeds to fix the bike.

This sticks in my mind because
a: it's funny and
b: it forsees by several decades how most people these days can't do basic diy jobs themselves but have to call in "super plumbing engineers" etc. to do what we used to be able to do for ourselves!

As the Lumberjack was posted above, here's the Holzfällerlied from the Python's German TV special, for curiosity value. Actually, the choir on this version is way better arranged than the original, and Herr Palin makes a decent stab at the German too...

(The sign he passes reads "To the song", btw)

Police Squad is something else, too many bits to mention but here's one that cracked me up:

Neilsen is searching someone's house for something, pulling open drawers when he suddenly says "Bingo!" and pulls out a bingo card :D

I love the starts of the episodes, how quickly the seemingly normal squad room can turn to chaos so fast...

advertisement

Back