advertisement

Top 3 singles I really hate

"Je t'aime - moi non plus" by Serge Gainsbourg, definitely with Brigitte Bardot.

Don't you mean Jane Birkin?

St Winifred's School Choir -- Grandma we love you
winifreds173.jpg

(pure unrestrained evil)

Keith Harris and Orville: Orville's Song (I wish I could fly)
orvillessonglp.jpg

The blast radius was limited to 400,000 copies, parts of northern Europe are still rendered uninhabitable by its release.

And Finally:

Father Abraham And the Smurfs Father Abraham in Smurfland
Smurfs_8Tracks_Father_Abraham_Smurfland.jpg

Vaguely paedophilic, dodgy beard, even dodgier hat -- and a marketing empire that operates to this very day. The embodiment of viral capitalism. Contains the second cartoon chatacter i'd ever wanted to **** -- (the first being the Cadbury's Caramel bunny -- whose voice was Miriam Margolyes -- to my great great shame)

99% of the stuff that gets in the charts and the albums that they are on , nuff said.
But mostly I hate Paul Mc , cos hes such a knob , did you know he used to let his dogs shit on the carpets in his house , had to replace the carpets every couple of months , alledgegdly (I hate that word). I knew his carpet fitter.

fox said:
St Winifred's School Choir -- Grandma we love you
Keith Harris and Orville: Orville's Song (I wish I could fly)
Father Abraham And the Smurfs Father Abraham in Smurfland
hate is too gentle a word here;)
What is "the Charts" anyway??:mad: Joe Public has so much to answer for! (Mental picture of some bloke going into all the record shops up and down the country buying singles by the hundreds of thousands, sending them shooting up the charts.) I am sure we have enough here to form a lynch mob if ever we find him. :D

"Je t'aime - moi non plus" by Serge Gainsbourg, definitely with Brigitte Bardot.

At a class party when I was twelve this song was played and one of the girls actually KISSED the boys she was dancing with!

JohanR

Vuk

..they don't mean bitchy, neurotic american women, but bits of pop albums. hope this helps.

Much as it looses impact with the explaining, but in the context of the thread "this means nothing to me" is a lyric from Ultravox/Vienna. My attempt at a sort of zen koan like way to say - yeah, Shaddupayaface is bad, it kept Ultravox from no.1 but the charts are a popularity contest involving the plebians and perhaps we patricians should not get too upset at what they buy or by default occasionally make popular enough to impinge on our delicate sensibilities.

I will now retire from public life and focus on what I am good at - which involves looking like Buddha, not trying to sound like him.

Jonathan

Jonathan Ribee said:
Much as it looses impact with the explaining, but in the context of the thread "this means nothing to me" is a lyric from Ultravox/Vienna. My attempt at a sort of zen koan like way to say - yeah, Shaddupayaface is bad, it kept Ultravox from no.1 ..

... thus demonstrating that even crap songs are there for a purpose. What's worse; a one-off novelty song which doesn't take itself seriously, or a pompous, overblown, furrowed-brow, big production number by a short-arsed Jock with a dodgy 'tash and a huge chip on his shoulder about LiveAid*?

*Unless Vienna was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, in which case kudos to Mr Ure.

vuk said:
"radio gaga" - queen

I was thinking in the light of Sideshow's choices that 'Bohemian Rhapsody' wasn't that bad (though it's certainly over-played), when I remembered this clunky number. Is it as bad as, or worse than, 'We Are the Champions'?

Joe Hutch said:
I was thinking in the light of Sideshow's choices that 'Bohemian Rhapsody' wasn't that bad (though it's certainly over-played), when I remembered this clunky number. Is it as bad as, or worse than, 'We Are the Champions'?

In my mind, "Bohemian Rhapsody" stands for the whole of Queen's recorded output, but I was only given three choices...

They are, very probably, the worst of all the stadium rawk groups.

-- Ian

sideshowbob said:
They are, very probably, the worst of all the stadium rawk groups.

Heh! Reminds me of the time in AN Other forum when someone was offering a spare ticket to see Rush in Milton Keynes. Talk about an offer you can't not refuse.

Joe

What's worse; a one-off novelty song which doesn't take itself seriously, or a pompous, overblown, furrowed-brow, big production number by a short-arsed Jock with a dodgy 'tash and a huge chip on his shoulder about LiveAid*?

It's a tough choice, certainly. I think Ultravox should be lauded for their pioneering use of shoulder pads and smoke machines in videos. I'm sure the music was just an incidental side issue.

Jonathan

****ing 'Lovely Day' don't even know who them ****ing little twats are but if I get hold of them then I will kill them.

So you can say Day for a really long time you ****ing crunt.

There I feel better, and I know I am shallow.

Don Maclean - American Pie
Not exactly completely bad - just played far, far too much.

Van Halen - Jump
Not only horrible, but for me it sort of marks the point where rock lost the last shreds of credibility and discovered perms, conditioner and spandex.

The Birdie Song
The quinticential "we went to Torremalenos (sp? - and another song there I think) and heard this a lot so bought it when we got back, ouch my sunburn is peeling" ditty of no worth whatsoever. There is a whole genre. Gark.

Jonathan Ribee said:
It's a tough choice, certainly. I think Ultravox should be lauded for their pioneering use of shoulder pads and smoke machines in videos. I'm sure the music was just an incidental side issue.

I must leap to the defence of Ultravox! Agreed that Ultravox should best be buried under a pile of rotting shoulder pads. Ultravox! (the excalamtion mark refers mostly to a prior incarnation) made three stunning, awesome and blistering albums without any Midge Ure's ****. My second cousin (twice removed) John Foxx** headed them up in the 77-79 when Gary Numan was Tubeway Army and Spandau Ballet were still getting their hair right.

uvox_retro_sc.jpg

I saw Ultravox! play at the Marquee in 77/78 I lied about my age to get in. The Live RETRO EP was out, they'd teamed up with Steve Lillywhite and Brian Eno and released "ROckwrok" on Island storming the alternative charts (before the "indie" charts) with "Young Savage" getting zero airplay -- it was harsh, raucous, short and nasty -- they sounded like they meant it!

uvox_savage_sc.jpg

Their Second LP Ha! Ha! Ha! is Industrial-meets-Punk with great grinding slabs of distorted machinery, feedback and ground up processed violin: with spat-out lyrics like: "Someone told me Jesus was the devil's lover/while we masturbated over magazine covers" plus two versions of Hiroshima Mon Amour... (a synth-pop version with a Roland 808 drum break that Genesis blatantly ****ed over while thieving for Duke) the real deal was a grinding punk version which formed the protoype for some of Nine Inch Nails' earlier werk... no one knew it at the time but it was "the future" -- art-school-grindcore-electro-goth-collides-with-J.G.Ballard. Sort-of early Roxy Music meets punk... and this still gets regular iPod earplay down at the gym. Its that good an LP!

Systems of Romance, the third LP (dropped exclamation, still with Foxx) is altogether calmer. I'd discovered Tangerine Dream by now and liked their change in emphasis Quiet Men and Slow Motion marked the first of the productions at Conny Plank's studio in Köln... cleaning them up, pointing the way ahead. Robin Simon left Neo to join and his guitar playing on this is unique and controlled (he went on to join Howard DeVoto's Magazine). While Andy Summers (technically the better guitarist) struggled with the early GR-synth on Zenyatta Mondatta (it never tracked all that great and crashed if you over-did it), Ultravox took it and pushed it way beyond its capabilities. Some great Foxx songs about loss of memory, loss of identity, shifting consciousness and yes... songs about architecture (whom OMD were influenced by).

If we're singing about buildings then its certainly time for New Romatics I guess...

For me this was where it went horribly wrong. John Foxx went solo to make a hit single that everyone thought was about "Underpants", he made two inspired LPs that predated Click-Pop minimalism (Metamatic and The Garden) then Foxx "did a Fergal Sharkey" in his case he tried to write non-electronic songs with acoustic guitars and IMV went belly-up for 15 years... He's doing good stuff again now though... I think he and Bill Nelson (Be Bop Deluxe, Red Noise etc) are doing much the same stuff now.

Ultravox made a load of money and slow-dived towards being a Christmas band...

So a precis:

Ultravox! = John Foxx. Hard core pre industrial bleak rock from the same camp as Cabaret Voltaire. Nasty, noisy, brutish evolved into art-school songs about dislocation and loss-of-identity. They wanted to be Eno/Manzanera Roxy music.

Ultravox = Midge Ure. Poncy **** from a floppy cuff era of white-face makeup, pouting and serious-twat-faced performances. They became Bryan Ferry's Roxy Music.

--
**we're not really related, he went to art school and got an extra x in his name. I went to polytechnic and used all lower case letters.

Jonathan Ribee said:
I will now retire from public life and focus on what I am good at - which involves looking like Buddha, not trying to sound like him.
Which is a shame, as the the sound of one-handed clapping is much more elegant than the look of a fat man squatting.

Jonathan Ribee said:
I think Ultravox should be lauded for their pioneering use of shoulder pads and smoke machines in videos. I'm sure the music was just an incidental side issue.

Nah - NOTHING but NOTHING compares to this video I caught on a Beavis and Butthead episode - think the band were called Grim Reaper; DODGEY poodle rock haircuts, smoke machines, but they DID have cool blue lights in their twin bass drums - ALL bands should have those, and mirror balls as well. Can't have enough of those!

As for "Mickey" - hands off - it's tacky and cheap, but I love it!

As for Sealion Dying and Shania Twang, well, no comment. That said, I saw her "in the flesh" at Party in the Park 1999; we were in the disabled bit (yeah, really good having that so far from the stage that blind people can't actually see the band - oh, yeah, forgot, you're only "disabled" if you're in a wheelchair (sorry, big gripe, that one!)) and the VIP bit was just behind. So we got a good gawp of Prince Charles (yes, his ears really ARE that big) and a little later, Shania and Andrea from The Phwoars turned up and sat either side of him. Lucky get.

fox said:
**we're not really related, he went to art school and got an extra X in his name.
Ah, so that is why people go to art school. This time next year, I'll be able to change my user name here to Markusx Sauerx.

Also, which art school did Malcolm X go to?

Markus Sauer said:
Ah, so that is why people go to art school. This time next year, I'll be able to change my user name here to Markusx Sauerx.

Also, which art school did Malcolm X go to?

St Martin's, which is in Charing X Road.

advertisement

Back