advertisement

Top 3 singles I really hate

1. Lady in Red. (The "cheek to cheek" bit makes me feel ill!)
2. Everything that Wet Wet Wet did.
3. Everything by ELO.

(Dis)honorable mention to Sir Cliff.
Also "We Are The Champignons", by Queen.

Prowla wrote:

1. Lady in Red. (The "cheek to cheek" bit makes me feel ill!)

Anything by Chris de Burgh makes me feel ill

Chistmas 1986, I'm a trendy Mancunian indie-kid teenager, spending the holiday with my aunt's family in Belfast. What did we indie kids look forward to every Xmas? The double Xmas and New Year edition of the NME of course (with the bumper quiz, albums of the year, etc). This is only recently after L**y in R*d, the smash hit by local-boy-made-good has been topping the charts for weeks. Every newsagent I go into (and I think I went in to most of them), I have the same conversation:

Have you got the NME?

The what?

The NME

Eh?

It's a pop music paper, (but it's not pop, 'cos pop is stuff like Bros and Wham and that's manufactured shite, the NME has radical, relevant stuff like err, the Pastels and Raymonde, or something)

Ah pop music! Right. No, we haven't got that,sorry.

Hang on wee minute, we have got the CHRIS DE BURGH CHRISTMAS SPECIAL COLLECTORS MAGAZINE, WITH A FREE POSTER AND EVERTHING, WOULD YOU LIKE THAT INSTEAD?

ARGHHHHHHH! Shop after bloody shop, Chris de f******g Burgh, I still hate the b*stard.

I hate him for his f*cking awful whining tremolo voice

I hate his awful sentimentality

I hate his wife for inspiring him

I hate his prog Christian rock themes (Cor! The spaceman is really talking about Jesus. Wow, that's really clever!!)

I especially hate his one, big f*cking eyebrow that stretches across his forehead like a hairy draft excluder. (cheek to cheek, urghh)

I'd rather listen to a marathon performance of Sarah Brightman singing the Frog Chorus, than be exposed to the sound of that tw*t. For goodness sake, he's worse than Phil Collins.

On the positive side, I did get a couple of New Order LPs off my sister that Xmas and my cousins took me out for lots of under-age drinking and got my ear pierced.

I dont how to pick a top three I hate - its harder to do that picking the best three but I can say for sure that anything by the Kasiers or Coldplay isnt remotely in there, you are just being stubborn cos you dont like them.

Blobby?
s club ?
And those irish bints bewitched :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

john kennedy said:

ARGHHHHHHH! Shop after bloody shop, Chris de f******g Burgh, I still hate the b*stard.

I hate him for his f*cking awful whining tremolo voice

I hate his awful sentimentality

I hate his wife for inspiring him

I hate his prog Christian rock themes (Cor! The spaceman is really talking about Jesus. Wow, that's really clever!!)

I especially hate his one, big f*cking eyebrow that stretches across his forehead like a hairy draft excluder. (cheek to cheek, urghh)

I'd rather listen to a marathon performance of Sarah Brightman singing the Frog Chorus, than be exposed to the sound of that tw*t. For goodness sake, he's worse than Phil Collins.

On the positive side, I did get a couple of New Order LPs off my sister that Xmas and my cousins took me out for lots of under-age drinking and got my ear pierced.

Top rant!!

trancera said:
And those irish bints Bewitched

Erm, I bought "C'est la vie" and stuck the song on repeat for 30 minutes when it came out. God knows what got into me, but, hey, at least it's not Tina Turner. A plus side is there's individual photos of the "band members" inside the cover of the CD single, and Sinead and Lindsey (the non-twins) - mmmm.... Sinead had an awesome nose :)

I guess their current chorus line goes something like:
"Do you want fries with that?" :)

Re that sodding monobrow De Burgh; my brother (who's much older than me) dragged me down to Asda "back in the day" as he wanted to buy some bits'n'bobs. This would have been summer holidays 1986. He'd just bought a personal stereo and he insisted on listening to that awful De Burgh on it, and this was pre-leakproof headphones. I made sure I walked a few paces behind him.

BTW - that reminds me - has Stella Artois EVER been available in blue and gold cans, or am I mis-remembering the mid 80s?

advertisement

Back