advertisement

Tone Poet Blue Notes

Amazon as I get free delivery with prime and as well as their pre order price is ridicules, but I have either missed a few there or gone too early and so not got the cheapest eventual price. I get free delivery with prime and there is no hassle about returns. In fairness have bought a few box sets from the Decca store, but they have all been fine so haven’t had to return.
Amazon seem to have been adding a delivery charge to the price recently to make up for Prime!

I first heard this on the double RVG remaster cd. Elvin Jones sounded like was playing a drum kit made of biscuit tins. The BN75 of Vol 1 was an improvement. I’m hoping this takes it to another level - the music certainly deserves it

Schizophrenia and Demon’s Dance are both below the magic £30 mark at Bezos World today.

I’m now a little annoyed that I didn’t pre-order the Sonny Rollins triple from Decca for £67 when I could, especially as the Amazon price is currently even higher than Presto’s at £82.99. My current thinking is to do the right thing and support my local indie, who has quoted me £72. Still a month to go, though!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Schizophrenia and Demon’s Dance are both below the magic £30 mark at Bezos World today.

I’m now a little annoyed that I didn’t pre-order the Sonny Rollins triple from Decca for £67 when I could, especially as the Amazon price is currently even higher than Presto’s at £82.99. My current thinking is to do the right thing and support my local indie, who has quoted me £72. Still a month to go, though!
Support your local indie - you know it makes sense :)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Support your local indie - you know it makes sense :)
I do, and it does! I was there only yesterday to collect my copy of the Waldron/Hino Reminiscent Suite and place an order for the Sun Ra US RSD Disney album, which the shop owner’s enquiries had shown was definitely gettable. I was also offered the post of Shop’s Official Elderly Jazz Fan as the previous holder has been ominously absent since Covid and is now marked as missing in action. My preferred title is ‘Senior Beret’ though… (I admit I stole that from Brian Case.)

Last edited:
There was a post on Instagram yesterday saying the Sonny Rollins Village Vanguard set has been moved back to late April as they found an printing error in the booklet and decided to get the whole lot reprinted.

Must have been a big error and not just a typo. Maybe Sunny Rollins throughout?

There was a post on Instagram yesterday saying the Sonny Rollins Village Vanguard set has been moved back to late April as they found an printing error in the booklet and decided to get the whole lot reprinted.

The BN Store (USA) has April 26th now.

Yes I saw this on the SH forum. I had mine on pre order as the price was good and I didn’t want to miss this one so a bit of a disappointmen, but I have plent to listen to.

Well as the triple Sonny Rollins is delayed I thought I’d post a few comments about a couple of ones I have had a chance to play through a few time. Jackie McLean’s ‘Action’ and the Charles Lloyd ‘ The Sky Will still be there tomorrow’. While the latter is not actually a ‘Tone Poet’ probably as it’s DDA it is the same Harley & Gray team and so good musically and sonically it might as well as been.

I’m really liking ‘Action’. It takes a few listens to really get into it, but it is growing on me more and more although don’t think it will replace ‘One Step Beyond‘ and ‘Destination Out and Perhaps ‘Time‘ as my favourite later period “freer” McLean’s, not that I’m lesser a fan of all Jackie’s output. Pretty much the usual team with superb playing from Jackie, Bobby, and some great contributions both composition and on Trumpet by Charles Tolliver on this one. I particularly like his ‘Wrong Handle‘ track. Some controversy about the sound quality on the SH forum on this with some complaints about buzzing in one channel or overload distortions. Well my copy is clean, flat with a silent background and I am not really any annoying overload either although Jackie is pushing the limits a few times. I think perhaps some of these listeners don’t like the ‘acerbic’ quality of Jacki’s Alto playing that comes over very clearly on this.

As to the Charles Lloyd this despite being DDA this may end up as by best album of 2024. If not it will be well up there. It didn‘t take me long listening to the streamed version, that was good’ to want the Vinyl and it many ways it is better still getting the best from both. Larry Grenadier’s bass benefits from the digital recording and really tight and deep, but still has a rich woody tonality. I thin I would go as far as to say that is must be a fairly old bass given the quality. The extreme top end I think really benefit's from Gray’s mastering with the quiet yet clear cymbal taps and brush swirls. This I think is the best drumming I have heard from Brian Blade, perhaps proving less ends up being more? My copy is superbly flat and quite one of the very best pressings from Optimal or even RTI. It needs to be as much of the music is delicate and subtle. Charle Lloyd is superb thoughout as is Jason Moran and the understanding between them is almost telepathic at times. I had not heard a lot of Larry Grenadier’s bass playing before, but he excellent and very inventive here. Charles Lloyd play’ quite a bit of flute on this album and I am not the greatest fan of the flute in jazz, but I have always made an exception for him and Dolphy. Good to see this one of the few raining elderly statesmen of jazz finally getting the full recognition he deservers. One slight caveat for some only, I notice many listeners on SH forum prefer Monk’s dance as their favourite track. Perhaps because this is the most bop like. some think it is slightly boring???. This is a quiet, subtle, mature jazz album. Spiritual in the true sense. My favourite track is Late Bloom, but it is all great.

If you think he has always had it? Sorry a slightly more off topic aside. I was at a concert at Hammersmith Odeon where he Charles was opening for Sonny Rollins. I like most had gone to see Rollins (and name dropping) happened to be sitting next to John Paul Jones in the circle. This was around 1970? A little after the release of Lloyd’s ‘Dream Weaver‘ album. When Lloyd started playing especially on flute there was an out burst of booing from most of the audience. Jones and I were among the very few members of the audience applauding his outstanding playing.

Edit: this went well before I had completed it first. Arthritic fingers.

So top recommendations for both these albums from me especially the Charles Lloyd.

Last edited:
I've ordered the CD, I hope they've done a decent job...
Gavin,
I haven heard the CD copy, but the download to headphones was very good. I just seem to think that Kevin’s vinyl mastering improves the top end a bit. Plus of course I love having a physical copy. Here is Joe Harley’s reason for using digital for recording now.
"I haven't used analog for multi-track for a fair number of years now. I had one too many times where the tape stock would have a wrinkle that would cause a "ba-bump" sound as it passed the head...and it varibly happened during a great take! And there's nothing you can do to fix that. 1/4" and 1/2" tape stock is fine...never had any problems with that thankfully! Perfect for the live-to-two track stuff we do at Kevin's, like Anthony's new one."

I used to visit both Honest Jon’ quite a bit for Jazz buys. Mostly the Ladbroke Grove one as most of them there knew me and would give me a bit of discount.

Sadly my mobility problems make this too arduous now.

Both great shops. I went to the Blue Note pop-up store in Granary Square a little while back and spent far longer browsing in Honest Jons opposite..

Both great shops. I went to the Blue Note pop-up store in Granary Square a little while back and spent far longer browsing in Honest Jons opposite..
I always try and pop into the Granary Square shop on my (now) relatively infrequent trips to London. Convenient as the trains come into St Pancras.

Charle Lloyd is superb thoughout as is Jason Moran and the understanding between them is almost telepathic at times.
This is probably as good a place as any to announce Jason’s recent induction into the pfm bow-tie wearers club.

IMDB+Artist+_0019_Jason+Moran.jpg

As my piano-playing inabilities will obviously no longer be required in the club band I intend to step forward and occupy a more Bez-style role in future. Maybe an occasional Minimoog solo (ie one key pressed down and many knobs rotated in turn in a fraudulent attempt to show how inventive I am.) We’ll get away with it - I have a feeling @Big Tabs is a monster drummer and @martin clark is basically the Somerset LaFaro. Howard has no problem scat singing and in any case Rudy will be on hand to smooth off the rough edges.

Last edited:
I am still waiting for the price to drop on Amazon. If not soon I buy a copy from Honest Jon’s with some others to get free postage. But here is a review of Booker Ervin’s - ‘Textbook Tenor‘ on LJC. He forgot he had this under a different title and is promising an actual comparison, but still describes the relative merits of themTone Poets to originals.

advertisement

Back