advertisement

Tone Poet Blue Notes

Just played the latest Elvin Jones - really very good.

I already have it, but not in a super copy - this easily betters it, and by a margin that sounds bigger than other Tone-Poets beat my other copies (or in cases where i have an original US pressing, give an alternative, but not necessarily better, sound)

If you were thinking of getting this one, I don't imagine you would regret it

p.s. as an extra bonus, the end of side noise i am getting, reported in an earlier thread, is MIA on this one :)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Common Touch also currently £12.99

...and yes, I realise this is the Tone Poet thread : )
Gerald Wilson - Moment of Truth currently £20.41

Oops - thought I was posting in the BN Classic thread :rolleyes:

I've pasted it to the right place

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I've just been streaming Tex Book Tenor by Booker Ervin, due fr release in March ( No Amazon link as yet)

This might be the first TP I pre order or buy on release for quite a while - Even pre TP remaster it sounds superb.

I’ve ordered the re-press of Jackie McLean’s It’s Time and Elvin’s Poly-currents from an eBay seller based in the US. There was a 27% discount on the already decent price for buying the pair, and no mention of postage or duty charges to be added. The total was £58. Possibly a really, really bad mistake - I’ll find out sooner or later. I won’t name the seller - if you are interested you should find him easily enough. If you can’t, pm me.

Give it a few days, their blue note pricing goes up and down almost daily.
I've had the Levono on CD since release.

tbh It's not one I play that often and I'd not shell out £50+ for it but YMMV

I play the the Village Vanguard Quartet Vol 2 record I've got way more often - it'd be good if they repress / resissue those as I'd like Volume 1

EDIT:

I need to correct myself here. I took this off the shelf for a play and its rather good.

It was recorded in the 1997 but, according the the BN TP website, on tape not digitally and was remastered from analogue tapes.

If the price tumbles like the Scofield Lovano etc double TP record did I might be tempted to upgrade.

Last edited:
I’ve ordered the re-press of Jackie McLean’s It’s Time and Elvin’s Poly-currents from an eBay seller based in the US. There was a 27% discount on the already decent price for buying the pair, and no mention of postage or duty charges to be added. The total was £58. Possibly a really, really bad mistake - I’ll find out sooner or later. I won’t name the seller - if you are interested you should find him easily enough. If you can’t, pm me.
Well, that turned out OK. My package arrived from Sheperdsville USA after eight days - all intact, despite someone’s best efforts to bash the sleeve corners for me. Two more to add to the sub-£30 collection, and considering Jeff Bezos wants £51 to import just It’s Time I’m rather pleased with that.

20240125121357-70e1daea.jpg

I couldn’t resist - I’ve gone back in, to the same seller. Extensions for £28 and Charles Lloyd’s Tone Poem double for £40. I thought I’d ride my packaging luck while it is in.

As an aside, is there a cooler musician on the planet than Charles Lloyd? I suspect not. I thought about starting a thread on the subject, then went off the idea when I remembered comprehensive lists of 40 cool musicians would be provided by the bottom of the first page and posts blaming the neo-liberals for everything uncool by the bottom of the second.

I couldn’t resist - I’ve gone back in, to the same seller. Extensions for £28 and Charles Lloyd’s Tone Poem double for £40. I thought I’d ride my packaging luck while it is in.

As an aside, is there a cooler musician on the planet than Charles Lloyd? I suspect not. I thought about starting a thread on the subject, then went off the idea when I remembered comprehensive lists of 40 cool musicians would be provided by the bottom of the first page and posts blaming the neo-liberals for everything uncool by the bottom of the second.
I tried with the Charles Lloyd stuff, I really did. But it’s a hard no from me. I like my jazz smoother and cooler than that ;)

Amazon has loads of tone poets reduced at the moment, Grant greens for about £30

I tried with the Charles Lloyd stuff, I really did. But it’s a hard no from me. I like my jazz smoother and cooler than that .
I only have Love-In which I never really fell in love with. You can kind of tell from the sleeve it was released in 1967.

Mi0yNDg3LmpwZWc.jpeg

I've seen some his recent Blue Note LPs on discount so perhaps I should investigate what he's been doing for the last 56 years.

I only have Love-In which I never really fell in love with. You can kind of tell from the sleeve it was released in 1967.

Mi0yNDg3LmpwZWc.jpeg

I've seen some his recent Blue Note LPs on discount so perhaps I should investigate what he's been doing for the last 56 years.
I listened to the trios (ocean, sacred, chapel) and they were waaaaay too fruity for me

I listened to the trios (ocean, sacred, chapel) and they were waaaaay too fruity for me
I play his Tone Poet record more than many of the more vintage issues - I think its a quite lovely record.

Funny, I like his Trio records well enough ( I have the box set) but wish they were a little more edgy and "fruity".

Different strokes I guess.

I tried with the Charles Lloyd stuff, I really did. But it’s a hard no from me. I like my jazz smoother and cooler than that ;)
Ah, but someone’s coolness is about way, way more than whether you appreciate their music or not. Personal case in point - Keith Richards. Definitely cool, but I don’t remember the last Stones record I wanted to play. Or even own, come to that.

However, thinking of others that would make my cut - Abdullah Ibrahim, Ron Carter - they are all Old Folk, like me. Perhaps I’m biased.

Do you have a link to the seller please. Cheers.

advertisement

Back