advertisement

Tone Poet Blue Notes

Ah, but someone’s coolness is about way, way more than whether you appreciate their music or not. Personal case in point - Keith Richards. Definitely cool, but I don’t remember the last Stones record I wanted to play. Or even own, come to that.

However, thinking of others that would make my cut - Abdullah Ibrahim, Ron Carter - they are all Old Folk, like me. Perhaps I’m biased.
Please can we have a Marchbanks' Cool Thread?

I nominate Roscoe Mitchell.

@Marchbanks I stumbled across this German 7" on Discogs today and have subsequently upgraded my coolness rating of Abdullah Ibrahim.

Mi02OTkwLmpwZWc.jpeg

@Marchbanks I stumbled across this German 7" on Discogs today and have subsequently upgraded my coolness rating of Abdullah Ibrahim.

Mi02OTkwLmpwZWc.jpeg

From 49 years ago…

20240201150150-7848dbfe.jpg

20240201150152-f9b09e8a.jpg

The only time I’ve waited for an autograph at the stage door after a show. When he emerged, he was accompanied by Brian Case. I rather wish I’d asked for Brian’s too.

Good shout on Roscoe Mitchell, BTW! What a band - Charles, Keef, Abdullah, Ron and Roscoe. So cool they could freeze an ocean. Who needs a drummer?

Last edited:
From 49 years ago…

20240201150150-7848dbfe.jpg

20240201150152-f9b09e8a.jpg

The only time I’ve waited for an autograph at the stage door after a show. When he emerged, he was accompanied by Brian Case. I rather wish I’d asked for Brian’s too.
That is very cool.

In fact now I think I might have to add you to the Cool List too.

A few more significant price drops for records spoken of very highly here at the time of release.

Gil Evans: Great Jazz Classics

Donald Byrd: Half Note

As I've said before, I'm increasingly waiting for records I'd "quite like" to come down in price although, of these two, I did get the Byrd when it first came out.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
A three record Sonny Rollins Live at the Village Vanguard has been announced for March.

I might not hang around with this one!

Can’t see it online in the uk yet

Last edited:
A three record Sonny Rollins Live at the Village Vanguard has been announced for March.

I might not hang around for that one!

I saw that on Joe Harley's Instagram. Does looks good!

Vol.3 was only ever issued in Japan and vol.2 only ever issued on CD outside of Japan - so very nice to have it all together in one release.

As someone notes in the Insta comments, they've kept the original track order of vol.1-3 rather than reassemble the gig chronologically.

Interesting that Joe Harley states these are from never before used 7.5 ips tapes.

One suggestion is that Van Gelder recorded to 7.5 ips on his mobile rig then later dubbed to 15 ips in his studio adding reverb to create the master.

Interesting that Joe Harley states these are from never before used 7.5 ips tapes.

One suggestion is that Van Gelder recorded to 7.5 ips on his mobile rig then later dubbed to 15 ips in his studio adding reverb to create the master.
Sounds plausible. Ampex 600 7.5 ips.

1957-11-03-Village-Vanguard-copy.jpg

Rudy with Blue Note producer Alfred Lion using two Ampex 600s to record Sonny Rollins at the Village Vanguard, November 3, 1957 (Photo credit: Francis Wolff © Mosaic Images LLC)

That's interesting Gav. I wondered if he ran at 7.5 ips to get more recording time as it was a live session but it's just the maximum tape speed of the portable units he was using. Makes perfect sense.

That's interesting Gav. I wondered if he ran at 7.5 ips to get more recording time as it was a live session but it's just the maximum tape speed of the portable units he was using. Makes perfect sense.
The machine could only do 7.5 ips and used 7inch reels so he almost certainly transferred them to store on 10.5s according to the article but whether he added anything...

Not sure I will go at £73. CD looks interesting at £12 though.

Sounds plausible. Ampex 600 7.5 ips.

1957-11-03-Village-Vanguard-copy.jpg

Rudy with Blue Note producer Alfred Lion using two Ampex 600s to record Sonny Rollins at the Village Vanguard, November 3, 1957 (Photo credit: Francis Wolff © Mosaic Images LLC)

That photo is enough to give Rudy honorary membership of the pfm Bow-Tie Wearer’s Club (non-economist branch.) Welcome to our ever-growing ranks, RVG. We now number four, I believe.

Perhaps the bow tie is simply a practical consideration. No one wants their necktie getting snagged in a tape spool just as Sonny launches into a one in a lifetime solo...

I know some folk don’t rate the Decca store too highly, but you can preorder it there at the moment with 14% off using the code VALENTINE14 - with delivery charges the total comes to £67.

It’s sitting there in my cart right now. Do I, don’t I…? (Got until midnight Tuesday to decide, the deal ends then!)

Further info: now Presto have shown their price - a rather eye-watering £82.50…

Last edited:

Amazon as I get free delivery with prime and as well as their pre order price is ridicules, but I have either missed a few there or gone too early and so not got the cheapest eventual price. I get free delivery with prime and there is no hassle about returns. In fairness have bought a few box sets from the Decca store, but they have all been fine so haven’t had to return.

This sounds essential given the tapes have been pretty much unused and so should be unchanged better than my pretty good early single LP so I won’t wait on this either, but just waiting to see what Amazons opening price is. f high I will buy elsewhere.

advertisement

Back