advertisement

Tone Poet Blue Notes

Stick Up landed earlier, it is very good (I’d never heard it before). I still rate Components as Hutcherson’s best of the 60s, but definitely worth having. IIRC one of the better ‘70s albums is slated for the BN Classics range soon. I’ll be watching that one with interest as I have nothing of that period from him.

I’ll be having that for sure. Not sure whether to pre-order or not, the Amazon price seems very high at present for a Classic. I know it drops, but I may hang fire a bit. Definitely want it though.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I’ll be having that for sure. Not sure whether to pre-order or not, the Amazon price seems very high at present for a Classic. I know it drops, but I may hang fire a bit. Definitely want it though.
Calling Mr Bezos! Presto are currently undercutting your price by more than £4, and my finger is hovering over their ‘order now’ button. They are nice people, they have a physical shop and I enjoy going there*, none of which can I say about you. What are you going to do about it?

*Involves five miles walk to and from the bus stop at this end (good for me), four chances to use my bus pass (hooray) and staring at all the lovely instruments that they sell.

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The BN store has some exclusives now and again (ltd colour vinyl etc), but their packing was so poor when I used them (both on the order and its replacement) I’ll not be returning.

I’ll stick with Amazon as their returns are the best of anywhere and they also help make pfm possible at all with link-affiliation.

Just enjoying Picture Of Heath. Excellent small combo sesh. Cut very hot! But no playback issues as some report. I’d never heard of pianist Carl Perkins before.

Scolohofo Oh! turned up today, Amazon honoured the £34 price and it isn’t much more now. I’ve played it a couple of times and it isn’t bad, though hasn’t made that much of an impression. Initial reaction is the Scofield Metheny I Can See Your House From Here is much better. I really like that one, it may even be one of my favourite Tone Poets, though maybe this is a grower too.

I’d never heard of pianist Carl Perkins before.

He played on a lot of sessions but only recorded one date as leader before dying of a drug overdose in 1958 aged 29.

I have this 1960 reissue. It's a nice record and vintage copies can sometimes be bought fairly cheaply.

OS0xMDA5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Scolohofo Oh! turned up today, Amazon honoured the £34 price and it isn’t much more now. I’ve played it a couple of times and it isn’t bad, though hasn’t made that much of an impression. Initial reaction is the Scofield Metheny I Can See Your House From Here is much better. I really like that one, it may even be one of my favourite Tone Poets, though maybe this is a grower too.
Playing this now. Sounds really good on first impression. I dunno why but it’s as if someone has tweaked my system recently to make all jazz sound top notch!

Playing this now. Sounds really good on first impression. I dunno why but it’s as if someone has tweaked my system recently to make all jazz sound top notch!

It certainly sounds great, a lovely recording and great pressing. Initial impressions are that I much prefer side 3/4 to side 1/2 for some reason. I think they play it a bit to safe/normal at the start and then wake up a bit. I’ve just stuck side 3 on again now and I’m really liking it!

PS From a mastering perspective this, the Metheny, and the Charles Lloyd all have the top-end exactly where I’d put it myself, it is just the RVG stuff they cut too bright to my taste, and certainly brighter than RVG cut it.

I’m having to get some vinyl storage put in a spare bedroom so I can shift out some of my lesser played rock and pop, and make more room for jazz. You lot are all to blame.

I realised the other day that the only TP I don’t have that I want is Stanley Turrentine‘s That’s Where It’s At. Can’t seem to find it at a non daft price. Weren’t they supposed to be repressing the early ones?

I realised the other day that the only TP I don’t have that I want is Stanley Turrentine‘s That’s Where It’s At. Can’t seem to find it at a non daft price. Weren’t they supposed to be repressing the early ones?

Wow, you certainly have way more than me! I do have that one and it is rather good as I recall, I think it was my favourite of the various Turrentines. I’ve got 30 of the Tone Poets according to Discogs.

Wow, you certainly have way more than me! I do have that one and it is rather good as I recall, I think it was my favourite of the various Turrentines. I’ve got 30 of the Tone Poets according to Discogs.
I’ve passed on a few…not a big fan of the vocal stuff and also any that I’ve got on nice Japanese issues I’ve not bothered with as the difference isn’t worth considering in my opinion.

As Joe Harley has confirmed more than once everything will get a repress but with the pressing plant backed up they of course are focusing on the new releases patience friend

I’m still waiting for the Chet Baker Sings repress

The Lee Konitz Plays with the Gerry Mulligan Quintet TP currently selling for £18.51 on Amazon

Lee Konitz Plays With The Gerry Mulligan Quartet [VINYL]: Amazon.co.uk: CDs & Vinyl

It's not one I'm particularly tempted by ( I've part of this on my Dad's old Pacific Arts 7" EP) but others may be interested at this price.

Details here:

Lee Konitz Plays With The Gerry Mulligan Quartet – Lee Konitz Plays With The Gerry Mulligan Quartet (2021, 180 g, Vinyl) - Discogs

Amazon seem to think it's a BN Classic judging by the price info.

advertisement

Back