advertisement

Tomlinson cop not guilty

Obviously, in that he was cleared of manslaughter. The point I was trying, not too successfully, to make, was that irrespective of the verdict he is clearly guilty of a vicious and unwarranted assault.

I keep making that point, because there are still those who seem to think that his acquittal absolves him of all blame. It most certainly does not.

Mull

Well again, many of us have a similar opinion, but it will need a formal conviction or appropriate outcome in a civil case, to vindicate these views.

Cheers

Don

Well, its about as sensible a senario as the pointless one you and others were pushing Mick to respond to re if Tomlinson was Mick's father or brother.

Justice for Tomlinson, will come. But not in the form of an unjust verdict of manslaughter for Harwood.

Cheers

Don

I didn't push Mick he fell.

I went to Swinley Forest today, on that Go Ape experience is it, but there were no suspicious mounds of earth there, glad to report.

DS

From: http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/h_to_k/homicide_murder_and_manslaughter/#manslaughter

'Unlawful Act Manslaughter

This is where the killing is the result of:

the defendant's unlawful act (not omission);
where the unlawful act is one which all sober and reasonable people would realise would subject the victim to the risk of some physical harm resulting there from, albeit not serious harm R v Williams and Davis (1992) 2 All ER 183;
whether or not the defendant realised this.

The act need not be directed against a person (e.g. arson) - see R v Willoughby (2005) 1 WLR 1880.

The knowledge attributed to the sober and reasonable person is that which such a person would acquire as an observer of the whole course of the defendant's conduct throughout the unlawful act: R v Watson (1989) 2 All ER 865, R v Dawson (1985) 81 Cr App R 150, R v Carey and others (2006) EWCA Crim 17.

In manslaughter arising from an unlawful and dangerous act, the accused's state of mind is relevant only to establish that the act was committed intentionally and that it was an unlawful act.

Once these points are established the question whether the act was dangerous is to be judged not by the appellant's appreciation but that of the sober and reasonable man and it is impossible to impute the mistaken belief of the defendant that what he was doing was not dangerous: R v Ball 1989 CLR 730.'

Mull

If it hadn't been for the first autopsy saying that he died from a heart attack the copper would have gone down for sure. That was the reasonable doubt on which he escaped justice, IMO. I can see no better example of the text book definition of manslaughter.

So Freddy Patel is going to be struck off, but too late the copper has already been cleared.

Now there's a fortuitous piece of timing for a bent copper if ever there was. Surely a retrial is in order with Freddy Patel's evidence removed completely.

So Freddy Patel is going to be struck off, but too late the copper has already been cleared.

Now there's a fortuitous piece of timing for a bent copper if ever there was. Surely a retrial is in order with Freddy Patel's evidence removed completely.

Not the whole answer I know but I wouldn't think it's been a lot of fun for the nice man.

He might just think twice another time about shoving people around.

Not the whole answer I know but I wouldn't think it's been a lot of fun for the nice man.

He might just think twice another time about shoving people around.

He'd think a lot harder about it if he was banged up for manslaughter which is where he deserves to be.

Mr.Tomlinson's killer is fired for gross misconduct, "inconceivable that he could hold a position in the police again."
The Met are now offering damages.

Mr.Tomlinson's killer is fired for gross misconduct, "inconceivable that he could hold a position in the police again."
The Met are now offering damages.

If his conduct was grossly misconducted maybe charges should/have been pressed[and successfully]?

That's what happens when we "grossly misconduct" selves.......sorry...

If his conduct was grossly misconducted maybe charges should/have been pressed[and successfully]?

That's what happens when we "grossly misconduct" selves.......sorry...

Charges were pressed and he was acquitted.

I was not on the jury at the trial; I did not hear any of the evidence; nor did anyone here so far as I know.

What I do believe in is the system of trial by jury. The jury heard the evidence and reached its verdict. What I think of that is of no consequence.

Imagine if you were accused of some crime - who would you rather determine your culpability - a jury who hears all the evidence or people on pfm who know only what is reported in the media?

advertisement

Back