advertisement

Tomlinson cop not guilty

If you push someone, do you assume he will fall over? If he does, do you assume that he will suffer some harm?
If he had both his hands in his pockets and didn't see me approaching then yes I'd assume he would probably fall over. As he couldn't easily break his fall I'd assume he'd suffer some harm. If I'd also hit him with a batton first, well even moreso. Would I expect him to die? No. Is that relevant to manslaughter? No.

Irrespective of the legal 'niceties' (Seems a rather redundant term in this case) I am stunned that people still do not seem familiar with what was filmed.

The man was walking away from police officers with his hands in his pockets. One of the officers, and not even the one closest to him, approached him from behind and whacked his left leg with a stick. The man carried on walking and the officer then pushed him, resulting in him falling to the ground. At no time did the victim present as threatening or physically aggressive and only one officer seemed to think it necessary to fell the victim.

It is totally obvious to everybody other than a few who seem to think that the police should be above the law, that the police officer in question assaulted the victim without good, or any cause.

In many ways, whether that technically constitutes manslaughter is neither here nor there. It was clearly a vicious and unwarranted assault.

Mull

No, I didn't.

I suggested that if a close relative of yours had been found innocent by a jury, but you considered that relative to be guilty, you would move heavan and earth to have that relative incarcerated. Obviously you would, was my preliminary conclusion.

Cheers

Don

C

I struggled to understand the convoluted scenario and put it down to you being a bit pissed. Either way it's a silly example and has **** all to do with justice for Ian Tomlinson.

i have no idea how they came to acquit. He struck with a truncheon then pushed over from behind a man who was walking from him and had both his hands in his pocket. Wtf did he expect would happen to the guy, was he expecting him to suddenly fly like magic carpet?

A disgrace. When this sort of thing happens it only makes it harder for the public to have any respect for the police force. This bloke is a thug pure and simple and if you or I had a record like his we would doubtless have been locked up long ago.

The cop was found not guilty so i presume that they will have to give him his job back or the legal aid system will support him to take the employer to court for unfair dismissal. They will probably give him a payoff and a few years of pension contributions to keep him quiet.

No, I didn't.

I suggested that if a close relative of yours had been found innocent by a jury, but you considered that relative to be guilty, you would move heavan and earth to have that relative incarcerated. Obviously you would, was my preliminary conclusion.

Cheers

Don

C

Not a meaningful theoretical situation imo.
What would happen to a member of the public, if the roles of Ian Tomlinson & PC Harwood were reversed?

The attempts by the The Met' to cover up events & smear IT in the days after he died, along with the recent verdict, imply there are two sets of rules in play.

Obviously, in that he was cleared of manslaughter. The point I was trying, not too successfully, to make, was that irrespective of the verdict he is clearly guilty of a vicious and unwarranted assault.

I keep making that point, because there are still those who seem to think that his acquittal absolves him of all blame. It most certainly does not.

Mull

Irrespective of the legal 'niceties' (Seems a rather redundant term in this case) I am stunned that people still do not seem familiar with what was filmed.

The man was walking away from police officers with his hands in his pockets. One of the officers, and not even the one closest to him, approached him from behind and whacked his left leg with a stick. The man carried on walking and the officer then pushed him, resulting in him falling to the ground. At no time did the victim present as threatening or physically aggressive and only one officer seemed to think it necessary to fell the victim.

It is totally obvious to everybody other than a few who seem to think that the police should be above the law, that the police officer in question assaulted the victim without good, or any cause.
In many ways, whether that technically constitutes manslaughter is neither here nor there. It was clearly a vicious and unwarranted assault.

Mull

Well, this is just it, assault without good or any cause, doesn't constitute manslaughter.

I think many of us consider Harwood to be a disgrace to the police service, but that doesn't constitute manslaughter either.

Cheers

Don

I struggled to understand the convoluted scenario and put it down to you being a bit pissed. Either way it's a silly example and has **** all to do with justice for Ian Tomlinson.

Well, its about as sensible a senario as the pointless one you and others were pushing Mick to respond to re if Tomlinson was Mick's father or brother.

Justice for Tomlinson, will come. But not in the form of an unjust verdict of manslaughter for Harwood.

Cheers

Don

advertisement

Back