advertisement

Today I have mainly been v3

What did you do with the old asbestos sheet roof? Just put the new roof on top? ( I've been advised this can be the best way to deal with the stuff)

That certainly is a recommended method as if it's not disturbed it's safe to leave it as long as it's encased properly, but I wanted vaulted ceilings and beams inside (see pics below) and with the existing asbestos roof being held up by steels I decided to remove it. It was disposed of by putting each sheet in a double asbestos disposal bag and having an asbestos disposal company collect it and issue the certificate for building control so they know it's been disposed of properly.

Original roof:

barn-018.jpg

barn-032.jpg

New roof:

barn-048.jpg

barn-058.jpg

Our current place isn’t big, a 3 bedroom town house, all open plan downstairs. It could get quite busy when all 3 kids were teenagers but 95% of the time now it’s more than adequate. I’m not willing to get a bigger place for the 5% of the time it would be handy.

Cheers BB

Of course it’s not just a matter of buying it, it’s running and maintaining a bigger house which often takes people by surprise.

16 hour day yesterday, doing my usual stuff and then starting off a new office cleaning contract last night.

In Walton On Thames this morning to do a quote, then on to my external redec in East London and then home to do some much needed paperwork.

Cheers BB

delivering and running a Learning and Teaching refresher training event for my department

Should be 'working' at home. In practice some time being spend in extended coffee breaks logging or breaking in to various travel sites to cancel and get refunds on travel that has been kyboshed by rail strikes next week. All tedious. A few 'forgotten' passwords to deal with (such is life these days when you so many devices around the place). Or creating new accounts to try to match tickets I bought and logged out as a guest. So far two sites have done an impressive job of matching existing bookings to a new account too!

My ears popped when sneezing and everything sounds weird now. Keep trying to blow my nose while gripping it to unblock it but upto now its not working.

Looks like all of it!

Is the interior of the windmill going to be part of the living space?

Yes, ground floor is the kitchen, first floor is the office (with bridge access from the bit I am about to rebuild to be two storey and look like the mill rather than a 70s bungalow... which is what it is... or rather was :D), second and third floors will be bedrooms.

all day at the conference centre - partly facilitating a learning and teaching session. Nice day and nice lunch.....

Did you mean to? :)

(If you make as good a job of your other refurb then it’ll be spot on no doubt).

Thanks and yes it needs to come down. We have a Grade 2 listed windmill with a 70s bungalow on the side... weird. So the original idea was to re-skin the bungalow in the same brick as the mill with lime mortar etc.and redo the roof in slate. Then we decided a second storey would be a good idea. Then we looked at altering some of the window apertures on the lower floor and then investigated the build quality of the bungalow and decided it was just easier to demolish it and start again :D It is/was so poorly built I couldn't rescue any of it really.

Thanks and yes it needs to come down. We have a Grade 2 listed windmill with a 70s bungalow on the side... weird. So the original idea was to re-skin the bungalow in the same brick as the mill with lime mortar etc.and redo the roof in slate. Then we decided a second storey would be a good idea. Then we looked at altering some of the window apertures on the lower floor and then investigated the build quality of the bungalow and decided it was just easier to demolish it and start again :D It is/was so poorly built I couldn't rescue any of it really.
Ta for the explanation, oh well, you gave it a go.

Be really good to see its progress.

Watching Holborn come to life whilst having a coffee. Just unblocked a client’s toilet. It wasn’t too bad, the tenants were civilized and used an alternative toilet, which doesn’t always happen, sometimes it’s a recreation of the toilet scene in Trainspotting!

Cheers BB

advertisement

Back