advertisement

Today I have mainly been v3

Too hot in the garden or to do anything really. Chilling in the shade. Put some washing out. BBQ later me thinks. Dog flat out.

Checked the tyres pressures. Filled up the screen wash. Just got to add some more purchased music to one of the many memory cards I keep in the car to play on long journeys.

The Wife is looking at a holiday for later in the year. So far it was Barbados, (been several times) Jamaica, St.Lucia… but now Mauritius. It will probably change several more times before Wife decides. I don’t really like hot weather, so it is all her thing.

Just been for a walk around The Field. Took my shirt off to get free vitamin D. Didn’t see anyone. Got nettled once.
The reportable moment was a raven (? some corvid) attacking a buzzard high in the sky. The corvid was having a proper battle, whereas the buzzard ignored it despite the corvid bashing into it several times. Went on for a couple of minutes. The raven gave up after a bit and the buzzard kept gliding.
I have seen similar before, but that time there was loads of crows/ravens whatever’s.

Arrived back home from my walk - The Daughter was just coming out of her house. Daughter laughed her head off at the sight of Dad topless. I said something very rude. Daughter laughed some more. Lovely.

Now back in the hi-fi room, very cold Irish Orchard cider (Aldi) poured and Lee Perry spinning. Ace.

The reportable moment was a raven (? some corvid) attacking a buzzard high in the sky. The corvid was having a proper battle, whereas the buzzard ignored it despite the corvid bashing into it several times. Went on for a couple of minutes. The raven gave up after a bit and the buzzard kept gliding.

we regularly get Red kite vs corvid overhead

IMG_4004crop2 by uh_simon, on Flickr

had a boiler service
repaired a floor in one of these modern houses that use plywood for floor boards !!! absolute pitb really . much prefer proper floorboards

ordered some tarmac and fence panels , tarmac for big pothole that i doubt anyone will fix !!

Had to work from home this morning to do an urgent quote and some solicitor stuff for the house. Set off for London at 10.30 and parked in Victoria at 11.50, pretty good going. Checked my Marylebone Decorating job and met up with a colleague from my previous company for a chat, I’m so glad I left the old company when it was sold.

Cheers BB

Been putting up part of a fence. Panels, concrete posts and gravel boards. Easy enough when you're young and fit, but as I'm neither, it's hard work. The heat isn't helping much either. Still, no rush, there's all summer to get it done.

My first attempt at arc-welding today, made a frame out of 1" box steel, fitted cover boards and work top. Made good and all dry enough for first coat of paint.
Between times also stripped down two large, veneered work surfaces, repaired and first coat of varnish.

An odd kind of day.

I took my car in for a service and decided to use the three-hour wait time on a circular walk connecting nature reserve, river, canal and town centre record shops. After picking up my copy of Gabor Szabo’s The Sorcerer I found myself walking past a factory making furniture designed by Dieter Rams. ‘We have a showroom in town’ the sign continued. I decided I needed to visit. I swung onto the canal towpath and headed that way.

Two girl-child street urchins were shading themselves under a bridge and smoking a dubious substance. As I approached, walked past them and continued on my way a brief conversation took place.
‘Are you Santa?’ the surly one of the pair asked.
‘Yes, I am,’ I replied.
‘I like your beard, it’s cool!’ said the smiley one.
‘Well, thank you…’
‘Are you really Santa?’ asked no.1 again.
‘Certainly!’
‘Can you get me something, then?’
‘Of course.’
‘I want a Red Bull!’
‘OK’ I said, continuing along the canal and not up the path to the shops.
‘Aren’t you going to get me a Red Bull?’ she called.
‘You have to wait until Christmas!’ I called back. I heard smiley one laugh.
Surly one dropped her voice. ‘Why do I have to wait until Christmas?’ she asked her mate.

At the next bridge I stepped back to let a hiker-y looking chap go past. He asked me if I was local, as he needed help. I said I knew the area fairly well. He said it wasn’t really help with directions that he needed because he was local too, but…

A long and complex story began, involving losing first and only job since graduation, losing house, applying for job, passing interviews, needing an address, having another interview tomorrow, staying at a youth hostel tonight in [he gave me the name of a local village where I happen to know there is a youth hostel] and loads more besides. ‘I’m sorry, I’m talking quickly as I am nervous and embarrassed. Thank you so much for listening and treating me like a human being’ he said. I began to drift off as I could see there was a punchline on the way. When it arrived, it was £24. I looked at him. He was well-spoken, articulate, totally unaggressive and wore a smile. I couldn’t say with any certainty whether or not he was having me on, but for the first time in my life in this kind of situation I said OK.

We walked, chatting, along the sunny streets towards the ATM at a local Sainsbury’s. I couldn’t help thinking that this sort of thing was supposed to happen at knifepoint. He saw I had been buying vinyl, and asked me what sort of music I liked. Jazz, I said. Do I play? A little, but I don’t have time to practice enough. I told him about the street urchins. ‘You handled that perfectly!’ he laughed.

We arrived at the ATM. I gave him £30. ‘I promise I will pay you back’ he said. I told him to treat it as a gift from Santa. We compromised on a donation to Cancer Research. I would like to think they will see it one day.

I decided I needed a rest after all that. I finished my interrupted journey back into town and sat for a couple of minutes on a rather lovely Dieter Rams-designed £8000 sofa before trudging back to my car and so completing my seven-mile walk.

20230613165428-33ac9b09-me.jpg

Last edited:
An odd kind of day.

I took my car in for a service and decided to use the three-hour wait time on a circular walk connecting nature reserve, river, canal and town centre record shops. After picking up my copy of Gabor Szabo’s The Sorcerer I found myself walking past a factory making furniture designed by Dieter Rams. ‘We have a showroom in town’ the sign continued. I decided I needed to visit. I swung onto the canal towpath and headed that way.

Two girl-child street urchins were shading themselves under a bridge and smoking a dubious substance. As I approached, walked past them and continued on my way a brief conversation took place.
‘Are you Santa?’ the surly one of the pair asked.
‘Yes, I am,’ I replied.
‘I like your beard, it’s cool!’ said the smiley one.
‘Well, thank you…’
‘Are you really Santa?’ asked no.1 again.
‘Certainly!’
‘Can you get me something, then?’
‘Of course.’
‘I want a Red Bull!’
‘OK’ I said, continuing along the canal and not up the path to the shops.
‘Aren’t you going to get me a Red Bull?’ she called.
‘You have to wait until Christmas!’ I called back. I heard smiley one laugh.
Surly one dropped her voice. ‘Why do I have to wait until Christmas?’ she asked her mate.

At the next bridge I stepped back to let a hiker-y looking chap go past. He asked me if I was local, as he needed help. I said I knew the area fairly well. He said it wasn’t really help with directions that he needed because he was local too, but…

A long and complex story began, involving losing first and only job since graduation, losing house, applying for job, passing interviews, needing a address, staying at a youth hostel tonight in [he gave me the name of a local village where I happen to know there is a youth hostel] and loads more besides. ‘I’m sorry, I’m talking quickly as I am nervous and embarrassed. Thank you so much for listening and treating me like a human being’ he said. I began to drift off as I could see there was a punchline on the way. When it arrived, it was £24. I looked at him. He was well-spoken, articulate, totally unaggressive and wore a smile. I couldn’t say with any certainty whether or not he was having me on, but for the first time in my life in this kind of situation I said OK.

We walked, chatting, along the sunny streets towards the ATM at a local Sainsbury’s. I couldn’t help thinking that this sort of thing was supposed to happen at knifepoint. He saw I had been buying vinyl, and asked me what sort of music I liked. Jazz, I said. Do I play? A little, but I don’t have time to practice enough. I told him about the street urchins. ‘You handled that perfectly!’ he laughed.

We arrived at the ATM. I gave him £30. ‘I promise I will pay you back’ he said. I told him to treat it as a gift from Santa. We compromised on a donation to Cancer Research. I would like to think they will see it one day.

I decided I needed a rest after all that. I finished my interrupted journey back into town and sat for a couple of minutes on a rather lovely Dieter Rams-designed £8000 sofa before trudging back to my car and so completing my seven-mile walk.

20230613165428-33ac9b09-me.jpg

I regularly do a detour so I can walk passed the Vitsoe showroom in the West End, I’d love to have some at home but Mrs BB isn’t a fan.

Well done on your donation, hopefully it’s helped the guy out of a hole. I don’t believe in much but I like to think karma exists.

Cheers BB

Got home to compare notes with daughter, OM-2 girl; who as a member has spent her day colouring-in, at the Natural History Museum.

31degC in Bristol vs. <65M BCE in London...envious-calvin frown ensues.

...Now I need a Vitamin D(d for dinosaur) top-up...

Fun evening in Brighton listening to Marina Hyde and Gary Younge at the Theatre Royal. Franco Manca pizza and then a warm walk along the seafront. Am I a monster for wishing the IRA had got their woman, every time I walk past the Grand?
Think what a different world we would be living in now.

Yesterday for my Mrs was the 6 monthly visit to the opthalmology dept for her glaucoma monitoring. Noting they no longer issue an appointment - they tell her it needs to be twice a year but the patient needs to phone for the appointment.

My Mrs has three tests, each needs a separate appointment followed by an appointment with the consultant.

Yesterday, the first test was 1110, second 1120, and third 1130 and consultant at 1145. She arrived at 1100, to find total chaos, only one opthalmic nurse. First test started at 1215, remaining proceded as planned. She got to see a consultant at 1500.....she expected to be home by lunchtime.

At least the Glaucoma is stable and controlled....

advertisement

Back