advertisement

Today I have mainly been v3

Just had a sirloin steak from the local butcher washed down with a Montagne Saint-Emilion from Tesco.

Always had problems getting Heather to cook a steak to suit me. She always liked her steak well done (in James Martin's terminology ”ruined"). Over the years my taste has moved from medium to well done to medium to rare. Still learning to cook a steak properly but was quite happy with the result today.

Still strange eating on my own, Usually eat in the kitchen, but I used the dining room tonight as the kitchen table is too low for comfort when eating a "proper" meal. I think I'll get an island unit for the kitchen and a couple of barstools. I would get somewhere more comfortable to eat and some useful storage.

The ladies do seem to like a more well-done steak. We had a couple of nice ribeyes from M&S on the barbie just now. I have to put Signora’s on at least a couple of turns before mine

Yorkshire’s are very simple use equal weight by volume of plain flour, egg and half milk water. No salt.

200oC get oil or lard hot and pour direct into the middle of each dish

this recipe never goes wrong

going to bed shortly, got to be up in the middle of the night to pick up the old man from the airport. Flight already looks over an hour delayed so that's good. Won't be worth going back to bed when I eventually get home, another weekend down the swanee.

A bit tired after a long day yesterday. Trip to Optician this morning for new lenses in my current frames, reading only. Then haircut at home followed by cleaning of the ground floor of the house. Made Butter Chicken for dinner, which was a hit. Our visitors left with my daughter and her partner, to stay at their new house for a few days.

Cheers BB

Another step forward in dealing with Heather's affairs. Managed to sell her car today, the process with Webuyanycar was relatively easy and the price was reasonable being nearer top book price than bottom.

The last couple of days I've been a bit emotional at times as another part of her was going.However if I hadn't sold it today I would have had to tax it tonight and I don't need two cars. Though it was very useful to have an automatic car after my bike accident as it got me mobile several weeks earlier than if I had to drive my own Skoda Octavia manual.

I remember laughing when I saw the car she had just bought. Her Fiesta was in the colour Ford called Squeeze (a bright metallic green). The colour had it's advantages, easily spotted in car parks, and a useful landmark when people were coming to the house. Heather's mum found it easy to find as her eyesight failed.
Dealing with Heather's affairs must be so hard. My thoughts are with you.

A usual weekend of as much laziness as possible, punctuated by fits of activity. I like living on my own but by the gods I get tired of having to do all my household chores! Four loads of washing washed & dried this weekend; grocery shopping this afternoon; bed made (something of a gymnastic exercise in my small bedroom!); vacuuming yet to be done.

I did catch up with a couple I'm non-friends with this afternoon. I call them "non-friends" because they always tell me they don't have any actual ones. In some ways it isn't hard to see why, although generally I enjoy their company.

An amazing thing occurred on Thursday afternoon! I was reunited with my beautiful cat who'd been missing for over three years! He had, as I'd hoped, found a new home. I've had an ad up online ever since he went missing, shortly after I moved house; & the daughter of the couple who'd adopted him chanced upon it & alerted them. I think they were concerned I might take him back, but I couldn't: they've had him longer than I did, they love him to pieces & take excellent care of him, & he's entirely contented. It's exactly the scenario I've wished for him. :)

Dealing with Heather's affairs must be so hard. My thoughts are with you.

Thanks I am almost there. I am waiting on the solicitors bill and have a tax return to complete when I get the final figures from the financial advisor.

Knowing the end was coming was a help in dealing with her passing and the funeral etc as we had that all pretty well planned apart from deciding how to handle numbers due to covid and me being on the CEV list.

It hasn't helped with the longer term issues of learning to be on my own. I have often listened to "Desert Island Discs" and thought "I could do that". The simple answer is no I couldn't. I need people around me. I can now imagine how hard it has been for those on their own who have been isolating because they are vulnerable to covid. At least through the worst of it I had Heather and she had me.

preparing to make a chilli

20220703-105054.jpg

chilli paste made, veg and meat prepped - all bubbling away now.....maybe 4 hours min - got some sides to make.......

advertisement

Back