advertisement

Today I am a small blue thing..

I think as users we need to go easy on @Mike P. Let’s treat this as work in progress. I’m pretty sure looking at the comments from Simon and others that there is something very good here.

Absolutely, I was merely asking without criticism. I'm all for this sort of thing, happy to let it settle in for a while.

I think as users we need to go easy on @Mike P. Let’s treat this as work in progress. I’m pretty sure looking at the comments from Simon and others that there is something very good here.

My suspicion based on what happens with the TD-124 is it is just a break in thing, and I suspect the 124 breaks belts in way faster than a Linn type deck, so it may just take longer until it gets in the zone. By saying that I have adjustable pitch so I’ve absolutely no idea if it is running a rpm or so slower here.

I have a new motor on my LP12 and an excellent condition black liner pre Cirkus bearing

The 167.5mm belt I purchased from Mike is know almost silent and running at 33.23rpm with 0.07 wow RMS. Also, I've reset the motor position to standard just as it was running with the Linn belt. I had issues with noise and low speed when initially fitted and this persisted despite having run the belt in excess of 36 hours.

How did I achieve this? Well, I talced the belt and then I removed excess talc with half a dozen or so paper tissues - no longer a sticky clammy texture to the belt now. Talc is a lubricant yes, as evidenced if too much is left on the belt - it won't drive! But it also prevents stickiness in the right amount, if hardly any is present on the belt.

It's now also behaving more like a Linn belt on start up. Not saying the start up is important as I usually give the platter a spin up anyhow. But my God the blue belt certainly has an effect on music. Transients are almost explosive, electric bass notes start and end on a sixpence, piano notes decay beautifully with no hint of waver and stand up bass is gloriously woody. I've also noticed a huge improvement in subtle detail, backing singers appear to be playing a bigger part in the mix than ever before. Jazz drum brush work is now very detailed much more than just a "tisshh, tisshh" as I heard before. Now I'm not just hearing the initial strike (tisshh) but also the draw across the drum head too - awesome!

These blue belts are something really special, great work Mike!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we've now got to the bottom of cause for the erratic behaviour that a small number of users have experienced with the bluebelt.

I've just put a longer post on the LP12 belt thread over in the trade discussion area which explains it all.

So, after boiling last night and a second boil this morning (double-fried chips are better, right?) I actually gave it a listen. I almost never listen to music seriously in the morning as I don’t generally enjoy it, maybe I’m not in a relaxed enough state. I’m going to have to give it some more extended listening and comparison with the Linn belt but, on first listen I’ll say this belt certainly does nothing wrong!

I put on Carole Kidd’s first LP (1984 pressing, bought with my first LP12!) and I was almost in a trance at times with the beauty of it. Whether it was due to something extra from the blue belt I can’t say yet but it was a rare moment where I was just swept away totally by the music. It sounds bloody daft but I felt I was being caressed and soothed at times by Carole’s voice. Marvellous stuff.

Boil it chaps, and do it twice.

So, after boiling last night and a second boil this morning (double-fried chips are better, right?) I actually gave it a listen. I almost never listen to music seriously in the morning as I don’t generally enjoy it, maybe I’m not in a relaxed enough state. I’m going to have to give it some more extended listening and comparison with the Linn belt but, on first listen I’ll say this belt certainly does nothing wrong!

I put on Carole Kidd’s first LP (1984 pressing, bought with my first LP12!) and I was almost in a trance at times with the beauty of it. Whether it was due to something extra from the blue belt I can’t say yet but it was a rare moment where I was just swept away totally by the music. It sounds bloody daft but I felt I was being caressed and soothed at times by Carole’s voice. Marvellous stuff.

I went for a brief par boil myself, but glad it has worked for you. Mober now completely happy with the blue belt. Listening tests to come.

Last edited:
Mike, I was looking through the classifieds last night and noticed you’d put a blue belt on your AAA5 CD player. Was that the drawer belt? I’m asking as my own AAA5 needs a new drawer belt.

Mike, I was looking through the classifieds last night and noticed you’d put a blue belt on your AAA5 CD player. Was that the drawer belt? I’m asking as my own AAA5 needs a new drawer belt.

Yes, we do a whole raft of CD player belts too. I have them in stock. Send me a PM if you want one. The ones you get free with the cogs are crap.

I remember, many years ago, wandering, very drunk, 1980's, into the basement venue of a Glasgow pub, paying at the door without looking to see who was playing. I'd got separated from my pals on a big night out (very easy to do, pre-mobile phones with trips to the chippy, peeing in alleyways and talking to random strangers all to be fitted in between pubs). I wasn't ready to go home even though I'd had far too much beer.

Anyway, an "old" (to me) blonde lady was standing singing, surrounded by a very unimpressive looking band of "old" geysers. The lady sand a song as I stood at the back (standing room only). I was transported, caressed by the sound. When the song ended I shambled my way to the front to give her a kiss on the cheek, so grateful was I for the music she and her band had just made. Totally out of character for me to do that. Carol Kidd's music and voice had transfixed me.

I had another go with my 167.5mm belt, together with a 165mm belt that Mike has sent me to try.
The 167.5 has been anointed with some of Chanel's finest talc. The 165 was unadorned!

So today's results, (a) is 33 1/3 rpm, (b) is 45rpm

Linn belt on Friday:
a) 33.37 rpm +0.10% w/f 0.05%
b) 45.06 rpm +0.14% w/f 0.05%

167.5 on Friday
a) 32.75 rpm -1.76% w/f 0.24%
b) would not spin up to more than 26 rpm

Linn belt today:
a) 33.37 rpm +0.10% w/f 0.04%
b) 45.05 rpm +0.12% w/f 0.05%

167.5 today (talc applied)
a) 32.83 rpm -1.52% w/f 0.11%
b) 44.32 rpm -1.52% w/f 0.06%

165 today (no talc - and doesn't smell as good :D)
a) 32.83 rpm -1.50% w/f 0.07%
b) 44.21 rpm -1.75% w/f 0.14%

Still running slow at both speeds, but a major leap forward in that the deck will now spin up to something approaching 45rpm, unlike Friday.

So there may be something in this "curing" thing. So a couple of questions:

1. What should be the suggested "cure time" at room temperature?
2. If I go down the boiling route, for how long should I boil?

I had another go with my 167.5mm belt, together with a 165mm belt that Mike has sent me to try.
The 167.5 has been anointed with some of Chanel's finest talc. The 165 was unadorned!

So today's results:

Linn belt on Friday:
a) 33.37 rpm +0.10% w/f 0.05%
b) 45.06 rpm +0.14% w/f 0.05%

167.5 on Friday
a) 32.75 rpm -1.76% w/f 0.24%
b) would not spin up to more than 26 rpm

Linn belt today:
a) 33.37 rpm +0.10% w/f 0.04%
b) 45.05 rpm +0.12% w/f 0.05%

167.5 today (talc applied)
a) 32.83 rpm -1.52% w/f 0.11%
b) 44.32 rpm -1.52% w/f 0.06%

165 today (no talc - and doesn't smell as good :D)
a) 32.83 rpm -1.50% w/f 0.07%
b) 44.21 rpm -1.75% w/f 0.14%

Still running slow at both speeds, but a major leap forward in that the deck will now spin up to something approaching 45rpm, unlike Friday.

So there may be something in this "curing" thing. So a couple of questions:

1. What should be the suggested "cure time" at room temperature?
2. If I go down the boiling route, for how long should I boil?
Hi, when I did it, think par boiling for roasties rather than the Mother in laws Christmas sprouts! Seriously, I gave it 3-4 mins at a slow boil, my theory was that if it’s not enough, I could always do it again, whereas you can’t undo the process if you do to much. Fortunately, it worked for me first time. Good luck.

I forgot mine and left it in the pan for 20 mins. Still must be a bit tacky as I can hear it, don't have any talc will cornflour suffice?

Corn starch absorbs moisture.
Talc is used to stop the belt sticking slightly which can cause vibration / flutter. My XA can gyrate a bit at turn on / off if there is no talc on the belt.
Oh, and use a lint free cloth to wipe the excess talc off the belt.

advertisement

Back