advertisement

Nah, the first one should be a GOOD one :)

yess that it what I meant. Correct that expensive doesn’t mean tasty. Aldi had a gorgeous champagne a while ago, I think it was aboot £20. Aldi cheap champagne is well drinkable.

This thread is turning into a real roffl brothell :) I expect this thread to go down hill rapidly (as more imbibing is partaken).

Just preparing my brain for a virtual pub quiz with the aid of Cheddar Ales Potholer.
Will move on to Bristol Beer Factory Fortitude.
I might not win...but will I care?

I'm sat in a bar in Sweden and about to finish my fourth Eriksberg. Just had, unusually for me, a long and fun conversation with a complete stranger (Irish local).
The Swedish (beer) curfew starts tonight at 10pm....i.e. they can't serve after 10pm.

It's much quieter than other Friday nights I've been here...

Think I might have another...

I’ve got a cupboard full of all sorts of stuff, whisky, gin, vodka, brandy ..... but only drink beer and wine. I think I had a cocktail party about 30 years ago and got this stuff in for it along with some other garish liquids. Someone will have to get rid of it all one day.

I have a suggestion:

Long ago, when I was a small child, I saved up pocket monies and birthday and holiday and chrismuss gifts until I could afford the thing I most Wanted - a Mamod TE1a traction engine. I was 7& 3/4 when Dad & I went to the shop and bought it. It cost £17, 32p from Partridges. I still have the box.

An mechanically-inclined family friend of my parents of old noted, on its arrival, how mine used solid fuel, and his (older) TE1 had a spirit burner; and as such, his preferred way of firing it was (hush) to use the bottles of spirits he got given every Christmas he had no taste for; vodka, especially.

That's just over 40yrs ago; I still have & run my Mamod - everytime it comes out I think of John Mills with a smile; - & that I've not tried the same thing myself yet...

DSCF6923_600px.jpg

Pub quiz was earlier...don't speak much (any) Swedish so didn't do well..
Joy Division playing so will get just one more...

Started with G&Ts as usual. Good choice from about 90 bottles of gin - had about 6 doubles. Now on beer with dinner, 3 cans of double punk (8%) IPA down, the night is young, might crack open a bottle of malt (30 odd to choose from)

I don't discriminate against any kinds of booze, Ilike 'em all :p

I cannae stand whiskey/whisky.

I won a huge bottle of Bells in a raffle when I was 16, but had to share it with another winner so I poured out a pint of it and necked it (I was just 17) - I had a very eventful evening after that. Since then I cannot stand the taste or smell of anything vaguely whisky.
A valuable lesson learned that evening.

I cannae stand whiskey/whisky.

I won a huge bottle of Bells in a raffle when I was 16, but had to share it with another winner so I poured out a pint of it and necked it (I was just 17) - I had a very eventful evening after that. Since then I cannot stand the taste or smell of anything vaguely whisky.
A valuable lesson learned that evening.

You were lucky - that amount in one go.

Whisky covers SO many tatstes that there will be something for everyone (except you in all probability).

Started with G&Ts as usual. Good choice from about 90 bottles of gin - had about 6 doubles. Now on beer with dinner, 3 cans of double punk (8%) IPA down, the night is young, might crack open a bottle of malt (30 odd to choose from)

I find that in a G&T I cannot taste the gin very much, so just use the house basic (Gordons)

How do you know it is a double? Do you measure it? I generally stick about an inch of gin in a glass - it does depend on the glass though ;)

I worked in a whisky bottling plant for a few months many years ago....couldn't drink the stuff for a long time afterwards..
Like it now though:)

I was 7& 3/4 when Dad & I went to the shop and bought it. It cost £17, 32p from Partridges. I still have the box.

DSCF6923_600px.jpg

My English Grandmother gave me the steam roller Mamod for Christmas 1972, and my brother the traction engine variant. For some reason mine steamed better and was quicker to boiling than my brother's. It ran on meths. Imagine letting millennials loose on this sort of thing. They'd burn the house down!

Halcyon days.

Best wishes from George

PS: It's Friday, and just cracked open a Co-op 2 litre bottle of classic dry cider.

advertisement

Back