advertisement

You were lucky - that amount in one go.

Whisky covers SO many tatstes that there will be something for everyone (except you in all probability).

I understand that I was lucky to not kill myself. As it was, I fell asleep on a bench in a park, fell over and cut my face to ribbons, and a few other things.
In the morning the pillow on my bed was stuck to my face as the blood has dried and glued the pillow to my face. Happy days.

I poured out a pint of it and necked it (I was just 17) - I had a very eventful evening after that. Since then I cannot stand the taste or smell of anything vaguely whisky.
A valuable lesson learned that evening.

I did similar at about 15 with a bottle of Gordon’s Gin. I woke up in a field and had no idea how I got there at all, or where I was.

I’m so surprised that I now enjoy a G&T, for years it was the devils work.

My English Grandmother gave me the steam roller Mamod for Christmas 1972, and my brother the traction engine variant. For some reason mine steamed better and was quicker to boilings than my brother's. It ran on meths.
The steam roller variant boiler was shorter by about a 1/3rd, owing to the different front box casting to accomodate the roller - so yes - it would fire faster.

We used to fill the thing with boiling water from the kettle, before firing, to not waste valuable steaming time ... Right - going to bring the thing out and run it up tomorrow, just because I can!

ETA:

IMG_5536_mamod%20box_600px.jpg

(Drat, I spot a flaw in that idea - needs a responsible Adult... )

Ok, what was everyone's introduction to ethanol?

My parents almsot never drank - just a very little around Christmas - dad was Guiness and mum liked advocaat. Us kids got small glasses of Harp lager and lime from the age of not much - single figures - odd now, looking back, given how very little my parents drank themselves. I would be on safe ground to say that I have drunk more in several weeks than my dad did in a lifetime.

I was always interested in any sherry that was around at Christmas too - still like them all today.

My dad was a great player of most card games and back when he was a kid (1920's - 30's) he played for beer at the clubs that his father frequented and he said that his father seldom paid for beer. I never met my grandfather (either side).

My English Grandmother gave me the steam roller Mamod for Christmas 1972, and my brother the traction engine variant. For some reason mine steamed better and was quicker to boilings than my brother's. It ran on meths. Imagine letting millennials loose on this sort of thing. They'd burn the house down!

Halcyon days.

Best wishes from George

PS: It's Friday, and just cracked open a Co-op 2 litre bottle of classic dry cider.

I had the one that was fixed on a plate that you could spin a wheel with. I loved it.

I think I blew it up. Up till that point it was one of my favourite toys.

> cider ! I used to drink that all the time, nowadays I would drink Normandy cider if it was very cold on a very hot day.
It would still give me guts ache though. :(

Started with G&Ts as usual. Good choice from about 90 bottles of gin - had about 6 doubles. Now on beer with dinner, 3 cans of double punk (8%) IPA down, the night is young, might crack open a bottle of malt (30 odd to choose from)
Are you serious! I’m getting quite p!ssed just reading this!! ;-)

I find that in a G&T I cannot taste the gin very much, so just use the house basic (Gordons)

How do you know it is a double? Do you measure it? I generally stick about an inch of gin in a glass - it does depend on the glass though

have to measure, or at least understand the proportions 1:1.5 or maybe 1 gin to 2 tonic at most. Garnish is important to bring out the aromatics

I used to run gin tastings and a juniper society as a weekend/evening sideline...and advised a few London cocktail bars on their menus.

I remember cider was thought of as an acceptable drink by my mother when I was 14 but beer was right out:p Two litres of that and I would have been moon bound.

Hahahhaha spot on.

I was allowed a sweet sherry at Christmas when I was a young un.

But then Woodpecker cider arrived, probably when I was about 12 ? or Pomagne if it was a party! Got to love the Seventies.

have to measure, or at least understand the proportions 1:1.5 or maybe 1 gin to 2 tonic at most. Garnish is important to bring out the aromatics

I used to run gin tastings and a juniper society as a weekend/evening sideline...and advised a few London cocktail bars on their menus.

Wow, I am a weak link then. 1 to 2, that sounds more like it.
(I probably do 1 to 3 as a rule, trying to eek out the gin)

Are you serious! I’m getting quite p!ssed just reading this!! ;-)

totally and that is a light evening on the gin.

Try a deliciously dry Gibson made with Strane uncut

2020-11-20_08-56-10 by uh_simon, on Flickr

3 measures of gin
1 tsp vermouth - kiss the ice and pour off
add gin, and a pipette of onion juice
stir over ice
pour into frozen martini glass, garnish with Campari soaked silver skin onions

totally and that is a light evening on the gin.

Try a deliciously dry Gibson made with Strane uncut

2020-11-20_08-56-10 by uh_simon, on Flickr

3 measures of gin
1 tsp vermouth - kiss the ice and pour off
add gin, and a pipette of onion juice
stir over ice
pour into frozen martini glass, garnish with Campari soaked silver skin onions

yeah. I want one of those. I am going to make my bastardized version now as I have finished the cherry brandy pop drink. Time for something to drink through my teeth.

Wifey liked what you suggested until it got to the onion juice bit...

Whilst I won’t pretend to be an expert when it comes to gin, I rather like Papillon gin in my gin & tonic. Simples, large glass, loads of ice, add a slice of lemon and a slice of cucumber, pour in gin up to half way, add slimline tonic. Enjoy.

advertisement

Back