advertisement

Thinking of selling it all, or massive downgrade at least......

Going to try and listen to some actives - be good to see Keith - so the Kii and D&D as suggested.

Ensure you also listen to 'traditional' actives, say some ATCs, otherwise you might associated things with the clever DSP that are really to do with an active crossover. I think it's pretty easy to build a killer 5 box system (turntable, streamer, preamp, and 2 speakers). If you ensure you have a one in, one out policy, then things can be kept under control :)

I have a 1200GR and agree its not pretty but accepted here. Sound really much better than it looks.
But honestly taste are different, apples or oranges.
Would love to replace my P7 with/or add a P8, - looks and lid issue are dealbreaker for now.
If I was looking at a new TT then I would definitely look at Technics G but the appearance does put me off, a bit too DJ.

If I was looking at a new TT then I would definitely look at Technics G but the appearance does put me off, a bit too DJ.

On the plus side, if you have young kids or teenagers, something that stands up to a DJ is probably a bonus:

PFM keeps stripping the timestamp from my link. Skip to 1:45 if you like some scratchin'! Probably most here won't, but that's ok.

Steve, I bought into the never ending upgrade conveyor as i genuinely enjoyed the extra you get from better. I think it becomes this never ending thing though - the law of diminishing returns gets lost and the futile hope to reach "the end" never quite happens either. You just add more and more and more.
It's only really when big events happen that you stop and think, hang on a sec. The lack of live music, global pandemic, death/loss, and many more factors, you realise that the hifi journey isn't quite as important as you think....

The simple pleasures of music have become more important, as have going to walks, valuing friendships. The need to get out of the house, not stay in it listening to the hifi. More road trips. More anything, than staying in the house ! I suspect if i get it right and downgrade to a system that still is involving enough to make me go "wow" and keep listening is the goal, a sensible compromise/downgrade. This is me and my journey, I know plenty of people who have used the pandemic to upgrade and they get lots of pleasure from this - and good for them - it's just sent me the other way!

Many hobbies can become incredibly obsessive, and in my experience, perhaps none more than the Audiophile one. It's supposedly about the music, but rapidly can become about the sound of the HiFi itself, and how much 'more' detail one can get by spending ever increasing amounts of money. And once the new bit of 'amazing' kit is in situ and becomes the new 'normal' after the honeymoon period, the search begins again.

I dreamed for years of owning really 'high end' gear, and used to buy ½ dozen HiFi mags a month back in the day, fuelling the 'dream' until there was enough of them to become an embarrassing nuisance around the house and out they went when most available information on HiFi went online.

I learnt a few hard lessons after finally owning a Naim system bought new which I really enjoyed for some ten years. I expanded it to include AV, and came to realise that a more expensive or more highly touted piece of kit doesn't necessarily mean better sound - mainly just different - and I finally ended up selling the Naim in favour of Sony 9000ES kit, which both sounded better overall in terms of authentic music reproduction, and played better as regards an integrated AV/music system.

With my interest in music re-kindled, as against interest in the HiFi hobby, within a few years I decided to be rid of most of the boxes, racks and paraphernalia associated with HiFi separates/passive systems, and went fully active with a B&O system.

That's now 9 years ago, and I've never had a moment where I've sat wondering if I could improve the sound by changing this, or swapping that, or feeling that something is not quite right, or 'missing'. Yes, I know there's better out there, but for the level of satisfaction and enjoyment I get out of the system (TV + 4 speakers) with no HiFi angst or desire to upgrade, I'd say my HiFi Eagle has landed. And I have my music and my lounge room back - no more looking like a mad inventors lair/man cave.

Over on Beoworld, it's quite surprising the number of members - ex audiophiles if you will - who have had seriously expensive separates systems, and sold them off to get rid of the clutter, get their music and their rooms back, and seemingly live happily ever after.

The best part for me was 1) getting my music back and 2) getting rid of a lot of unhealthy audiophile obsessions about HiFi kit. Certainly If I was doing it again, I'd be looking at the likes of Kit 3's, Dutch & Dutch or Beolabs - 20's or 50's or the 90's re an fully matched and engineered active system, with minimal clutter, over and above a mix and match, trial and error passive separates system - on both performance and aesthetic grounds.

Good luck with it and wishing you the best

Cheers, John

On the plus side, if you have young kids or teenagers, something that stands up to a DJ is probably a bonus:

PFM keeps stripping the timestamp from my link. Skip to 1:45 if you like some scratchin'! Probably most here won't, but that's ok.
I found the first 1:43 more creative and interesting.

Many hobbies can become incredibly obsessive, and in my experience, perhaps none more than the Audiophile one. It's supposedly about the music, but rapidly can become about the sound of the HiFi itself, and how much 'more' detail one can get by spending ever increasing amounts of money. And once the new bit of 'amazing' kit is in situ and becomes the new 'normal' after the honeymoon period, the search begins again.

I dreamed for years of owning really 'high end' gear, and used to buy ½ dozen HiFi mags a month back in the day, fuelling the 'dream' until there was enough of them to become an embarrassing nuisance around the house and out they went when most available information on HiFi went online.

I learnt a few hard lessons after finally owning a Naim system bought new which I really enjoyed for some ten years. I expanded it to include AV, and came to realise that a more expensive or more highly touted piece of kit doesn't necessarily mean better sound - mainly just different - and I finally ended up selling the Naim in favour of Sony 9000ES kit, which both sounded better overall in terms of authentic music reproduction, and played better as regards an integrated AV/music system.

With my interest in music re-kindled, as against interest in the HiFi hobby, within a few years I decided to be rid of most of the boxes, racks and paraphernalia associated with HiFi separates/passive systems, and went fully active with a B&O system.

That's now 9 years ago, and I've never had a moment where I've sat wondering if I could improve the sound by changing this, or swapping that, or feeling that something is not quite right, or 'missing'. Yes, I know there's better out there, but for the level of satisfaction and enjoyment I get out of the system (TV + 4 speakers) with no HiFi angst or desire to upgrade, I'd say my HiFi Eagle has landed. And I have my music and my lounge room back - no more looking like a mad inventors lair/man cave.

Over on Beoworld, it's quite surprising the number of members - ex audiophiles if you will - who have had seriously expensive separates systems, and sold them off to get rid of the clutter, get their music and their rooms back, and seemingly live happily ever after.

The best part for me was 1) getting my music back and 2) getting rid of a lot of unhealthy audiophile obsessions about HiFi kit. Certainly If I was doing it again, I'd be looking at the likes of Kit 3's, Dutch & Dutch or Beolabs - 20's or 50's or the 90's re an fully matched and engineered active system, with minimal clutter, over and above a mix and match, trial and error passive separates system - on both performance and aesthetic grounds.

Cheers, John

Hi John
Thank you so much for that incredibly insightful and interesting post. You’ve made absolute sense of my situation and what I’m trying to achieve here.
It’s a good point to wrap up for the time being.

I am going to take some time to get out and do some listening and move this process forward.

I will revisit this thread at an undetermined future date with a full update! And photos.

This.

Hi John
Thank you so much for that incredibly insightful and interesting post. You’ve made absolute sense of my situation and what I’m trying to achieve here.
It’s a good point to wrap up for the time being.

I am going to take some time to get out and do some listening and move this process forward.

I will revisit this thread at an undetermined future date with a full update! And photos.

Probably a good idea by now and looking forward to your choice/s.

I know an audiophile that is now 72 years old and had many and various expensive hi-fi gears :

Classe Audio DR..., Mark Levinson, Naim NAP 250, pure class A vacuum tube amplifiers, extra large JBL with 15 inch woofers and wooden horns, Magnepan just to name a few......

He got rid of everything and he listens to his jazz music with a Linn LP 12/Nait 1/Spendor BC1 now and has no regrets.

Cheers, John
I quite like the man cave/steam punk look.

Update in various parts.

Items sold

Acoustic Plan CD Transport
Analysis Plus speaker and interconnect cables
Crystal Cables speaker cable
Devore O/96 speakers
Grand Prix Audio rack
Hi-Diamond power cable
Isoclean power cables
Ortofon A90 MC cartridge
Takatsuki valves
Tron Atlantic 300B power amp.
Tron Seven linestage
Western Electric valves
Zyx Ultimate MC cart.

Thank you to all buyers of this wonderful stuff. I hope it brings you many years of pleasure. I met some truly lovely people on this journey and i hope we keep in touch to see where our respective journeys take us. To those who dithered and generally wasted my time and who didn't buy anything (you know who you are!) a big fat raspberry and may your camel spit only dates.

Still for sale or potentially keeping?
Thales Simplicity turntable, arm, plinth and Zyx Universe & Ortofon Anna D cartridges
Tron Seven GT phono. amp.
Cables by Acrolink (BNC digital) Siltech (RCA) Isoclean (power) & Analysis Plus (power)

New additions then
Rega Planar 10 with Apheta 3 on the Rega wall shelf
YBA IA350 Integrated amp. (used)
Q Acoustics Concept 300 speakers (used)
ISO acoustics Orea isolation

I retained my dCS Bartok, Roon Nucleus, Solidsteel rack, shed load of high quality cables, power mgmt and RCM.
Something else coming this week and two more items end August.

So how does it sound? Way better than I expected.
A fuller report and pictures to follow.

Would love to be in the position to drop a Hundred K on hi-fi, only thing is had I that disposable it would go on something rather more sane like a Maserati. Spent 50 years trying to achieve what I have now. 5 sets of speakers, active M2's for about 20 years so not an inveterate box swapper.Reckon at current models my system would cost in excess of 75k but when that was way less than my salary, no way would I spend that on hi-fi. Had idiot dealers telling me I was more into foo than music when I was watching Mayall's Blues Breakers live before they were born. It's now a luxury goods pile of crap that I have no interest in. Heard 200K systems I would not swap for mine which probably cost me a third of retail and I'd still be struggling to get my money back if I ever wanted to sell it. Probably go in the skip when I pop my clogs as the wife thinks nothing cost more than 800 pounds.. hi-fi pounds being worth about 20 cents to the dollar:) Sorry but I now think it's reached the stage of fools and their money are easily parted.

advertisement

Back