advertisement

Theresa May Andrew Neil BBC1

The amusing part for me is that when the Labour Party selected JC, the press went into overdrive and it genuinely seemed the membership had committed harakiri.

Now it's looking remarkbly like the Tories have followed suit with this awful excuse for a politician.

The truth is many in Briton will start to see her for what she is - more dangerous to them and their families than Jeremy Corbyn could ever be.

I'd say this was one of the most dishonest and cringeworthy performances I've ever seen. Absolutely incompetent.

That was disappointing. Andrew Neil's performance, I mean. She came out of that completely unscathed, unfortunately. He repeated most of the the questions (what else did you expect). She avoided answering them (what else did you expect), apart from one reasonable answer in which she said the £8bn for the health service would come from the impending improvements in the economy. He could have probed there but he just accused her of avoiding answering and repeated the question. And of course he got the same answer.

Soz, but that was a dour 0-0 draw, in which May had the slightly better game.

It was frightening - I got the sense that the Conservative Manifesto had been thrown together as an after thought with little substance and even less to back it up. The lack of detail was flabbergasting. Arrogant is not the word.

The questions around where money was to come from to fund things like the NHS were not even remotely answered.

It seems to me that the she is basing our future on a strong economy that she has no idea how to deliver.

As much as Corbyn makes my skin crawl May is even worse.

The election was a snap decision, and so the manifesto has been thrown together too. That's not totally surprising is it? Labour are looking surprisingly coordinated at the moment with no infighting making the papers (I think because the right wing press consider Corbyn a dead duck). It will be interesting to see how the Conservatives respond - they'll have had focus groups watching the PMs performance and giving feedback, and i'm sure they'll already have suitable spin in place to cover this lacklustre performance.

I'll repeat my assessment of her - a nationalistic authoritarian control freak. Now watch as the control freak loses that control.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soz, but that was a dour 0-0 draw, in which May had the slightly better game.

Really? You know the manifesto is now being presented as aspirations and not an actual plan? Do you think she looks strong and decisive after u-turning on NI contributions and social care? I know the answer is usually "I listened". No. get it right in the first place.

Immigration figures while TM was Home Secretary. Compare them to what was promised. How much confidence does that give you that he will succeed this time? She might be helped by a tanking economy post Brexit.

The NHS. It's not doing well or do you see it differently? The £8B isn't new money, she did also say it was coming from changing priorities (or something similar) and not just from a better economy. She couldn't answer what the other methods were. If the £8B is just coming from an improved economy, do we not get it if the economy doesn't grow? How do you take the "record amounts" statement? Is that generosity or the fact that things go up in price so you have to spend more, we've got a larger population etc and in real terms the money isn't going up?

It wasn't a competition for Andrew Neil to win or lose. It was about TM getting her message across and for that message to stand up to some examination. The questions were quite simple and TM gave very political answers. For example do you know if tax and NI will go up or not? It hasn't been ruled out does sound like something you can really vote on.

Don't worry, I'll be just as rude to the others this week

Really? You know the manifesto is now being presented as aspirations and not an actual plan? Do you think she looks strong and decisive after u-turning on NI contributions and social care? I know the answer is usually "I listened". No. get it right in the first place.

Immigration figures while TM was Home Secretary. Compare them to what was promised. How much confidence does that give you that he will succeed this time? She might be helped by a tanking economy post Brexit.

The NHS. It's not doing well or do you see it differently? The £8B isn't new money, she did also say it was coming from changing priorities (or something similar) and not just from a better economy. She couldn't answer what the other methods were. If the £8B is just coming from an improved economy, do we not get it if the economy doesn't grow? How do you take the "record amounts" statement? Is that generosity or the fact that things go up in price so you have to spend more, we've got a larger population etc and in real terms the money isn't going up?

It wasn't a competition for Andrew Neil to win or lose. It was about TM getting her message across and for that message to stand up to some examination. The questions were quite simple and TM gave very political answers. For example do you know if tax and NI will go up or not? It hasn't been ruled out does sound like something you can really vote on.

Don't worry, I'll be just as rude to the others this week

Yes, yes. I'm with you. Unfortunately Neil did not pick up on the £8bn coming from the improved economy. It was an open goal and he didn't even take a shot. So she cruised through talking mostly bollocks and shite without the desired TV annihilation to reduce her poll figures. The only drop likely, following her appearance, is that she is not that likeable or good looking. The rest of it was business as usual.

I just watched this now whilst waiting for more news of the awful Manchester gig bomb to come in.

May was an embarrassment. Utterly hopeless. Just dumb, miles out of her depth and unable to do more than burp-up tired Lynton Crosby slogans to every question. Slogans that sounded ridiculous coming from such a hollow, discredited and unconvincing speaker. Seriously crap. Had I been interviewing her for a job I'd actually have ended it early after the first ten minutes as she was so crap. This is the calibre of person we have to lead the country?! Seriously?!

She sounded quite convincing initially. Last year when the likes of Johnson, Gove and Leadsome were trying to become PM, she seemed like the lesser evil. Now, taken away from the safety of PMQs / party conference, where she could bluster and slander Corbyn with no come back, she comes across as just brittle and hollow. Same applies to her bent script writers.

I've now got the t shirt

34706768941_1b37cbd369_m.jpg

At least no one will be talking about her for a week at least.

That's got to be good? Considering the Tories really don't have anyone else and she appears to have been found out by a critical mass of the electorate. How anyone can possibly vote for her is genuinely beyond me.

I would vote for Jim Davidson in preference were I looking for someone with brains and less likely to offend our EU neighbours.

Yes she'll enjoy the little break the Manchester tragedy has created for her, as IMO the woman is on the verge of losing her nerve.

She got through unscathed. Only fishy haters will hate even more. For the rest of the population it was a glaze-over interview. She will be happy with it. It was bland and no major clangers were dropped and subsequently reported on, no embarrassment. Nothing to see here, unfortunately.

Tony, it IS feasible that a parliamentary majority can be won by pandering to the same vegetable minority that have given us the X Factor, Big Brother, Britain's Got Talent and other such non challenging forms of entertainment.

If May does indeed come through this with a majority then it will simply demonstrate that the thinking ability of the British public has been diminished to the point that democracy is now a weapon rather than a safeguard.

advertisement

Back