advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

My favourite dress watch is a Casio. There’s nothing better than quartz for a weekly/fortnightly/monthly grab & go.

One thing about cheap Casios though is that they have the horriblest bracelets ever! Otherwise they’re really well made watches, amazing for their affordability.
Worse than a Seiko 5 stainless bracelet? Ewwww. That's nasty. NATO all the way then, or take a chance on an eBay special.

If I was going on a round the world adventure I'd want to take my Casio Duro, equipped with a velcro strap for comfort, ease of putting on and taking off and sheer reliability. And even though the velcro strap I use is 20mm and the lug width is 22mm, it looks great as well.

Like Martin, I've got my grail watch. It's a Seiko Alpinist. It's not very expensive, less than the Swatch 50 fathom, The intended customer is a Japanese version of me. He wants a watch he can wear on the hill and in a restaurant in town, bearing in mind that he's no longer 25 and doesn't now leave his rucksack in the foyer every time he goes out for a meal. That's me too. As for exclusive, I've never seen another out in the wild. You can't say that about a Rolex.
The Alpinist is also one of my favourite watches - it's durable, good looking and not too expensive. It's one of only a few of my watches that I've had been comment on and ask me what it was.

My Alpinist gets worn everyday. It loses a bit more time than I would like, but I still think it is great watch.

I get the odd comment about it - recently from a radiographer at a CT scan asking if I was watch 'connoisseur' as he spotted it.

A £400 isn't a 'fun' thing in my world. Maybe at £30-40 it would be, like Swatches used to cost.

Apart from the fact it has really dull design and doesn't look a £400 watch.
You can still get a Swatch for less than £50 which isn’t bad given inflation etc. The Blancpain collaboration uses Swatches own Sistem51 mechanical movement. Starting price for a bog standard Sistem51 watch is £150. This cheap mechanical movement is a nice idea but it can’t be serviced or repaired.

For £400 I’d much rather have (and do have) a Seiko even if the clasp is a bit jangly…

I picked up the Mission to Mars Moon Swatch while on holiday last year. I like it a lot! At £240 it’s priced just about right for what it is.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
One for the Watches and Hi-Fi Venn diagram: watchmaker is asked to restore a gold Rolex presented to a Mullard employee in 1953... and polish out the presentation inscription.

Spoiler: he decides to leave it : )

Thank you for posting that. I found it fascinating and enjoyable in equal measure. He comes across as an amazingly skilled and nice guy, and the way he also includes his child in the process is wonderful.
It also made me decide never to take the back off a mechanical watch!

To me it's no different to high-end fashion labels doing high street collaborations with H&M or Uniqlo.
It's fun, creates a bit of a buzz and people are still happy to pay £2k for a Commes Des Garcon coat or whatever.
Uniqlo collabs with Jill Sander are great value!

My latest

0819cdc4e2b1390b6e63d4842c7d9c1dadd53a2e.jpeg

Anyone have any thoughts/opinions no those hyper accurate quartz watches? (Within 5-10 seconds a year). Would anyone pay the money for one?

Dunno if it qualifies, but I bought one of the Bulova Lunar watches recently with the high-frequency quartz innards.

I bought it (used) on the grounds btw that all-up it cost me about 1/3 of the price of a decent service on a real Omega Professional Speedmaster.

Nd9o5ozm.jpg

A bit of debate online whether or not they meet the promised accuracy standards, but given as I usually pull the winder out to preserve the battery on quartzes / maximise the time between battery replacements when I'm going through my random watch rotations, it is kind of a moot point for me :)

Last edited:
Anyone have any thoughts/opinions no those hyper accurate quartz watches? (Within 5-10 seconds a year). Would anyone pay the money for one?
I’m cheap so they’re not for me but I do think the tech is pretty cool - very Japanese. Pushing the boundaries, sort of thing.

I got a regular Citizen ana-digi for my 20th birthday. For some years it was accurate to within 10 seconds a year. It was my first quartz watch & I thought all were as accurate! Wearing it all the time might have helped because it was kept at constant body temperature.

I have a seiko kinetic, it's quartz, I'd buy a spring drive if I had 10k burning a hole in my wallet.

advertisement

Back