advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

The new Swatch Fifty Fathoms will be released tomorrow.
moon_roundshot_960x960_d.jpg

Sorry about the gigantic photo.

I like this black version far more than the pastel coloured versions already released.

I've got to see one of these in the flesh.

Not limited in production numbers apparently, so maybe not a target for flippers.
That doesn't even look remotely like an original 50F. At least teh Seiko that was credited as "inspired by" if not an homage shared a family resemblance.

Well I guess an appreciation of craftsmanship and true watchmaking beauty is best expressed by a bit of fun.
The world gets what it deserves.

..the alternative is that watches get venerated in terribly serious even sniffy ways, exclusionary to many; and ..where's the fun in that ?

It's exactly why I bought a Seiko Orange Monster when they first appeared - its actually really good, very well-finished yet also - makes me giggle whenever I wear it, all these years later. And the most I'm ever-likely to spend on a watch (currently rocking a Braun and love its Dieter Rams design, cheap quartz that it is...)

..the alternative is that watches get venerated in terribly serious even sniffy ways, exclusionary to many; and ..where's the fun in that ?
I guess the point for some (not all by a long chalk) is that expensive stuff is exclusive and exclusionary.

I quite like anything that blows a raspberry at that.

And good design isn't about unlimited budget. I'd argue the Bic Biro is a far greater piece of design than a Montblanc.

And good design isn't about unlimited budget. I'd argue the Bic Biro is a far greater piece of design than a Montblanc.
Absolutely nailed-on correct. Good design, is that which you don't necessarily see at first.

Another example - the tolerances to which Lego pieces are held. Any part from the kit I last bought, snaps-to, exact regular friction, onto pieces I was give as wee sprog 45years ago (and hammered in play since ...) How that is done, is utterly brilliant*, and the genius of Lego - a thing apart from what it is used-for.

( *material choice and wall thickness, as much as/ more-than, absolute precision in mould set-out. But to recognise that as Key Requirement from inception 60-odd yrs ago: that is true Design value.)

Last edited:
Well I guess an appreciation of craftsmanship and true watchmaking beauty is best expressed by a bit of fun.
The world gets what it deserves.
I know exactly what you mean. People buy (indeed, are encouraged to buy) names and logos instead of substance. The result is that the substance of quality becomes secondary to the value of the "brand" and the quality inevitably declines. "Maybe not today, maybe not next week......"

I guess the point for some (not all by a long chalk) is that expensive stuff is exclusive and exclusionary.

I quite like anything that blows a raspberry at that.

The Bic pen is certainly a better piece of design than a MB. It's like the line attributed to Henry Ford that "any fool can build a car for $10,000, but it takes an engineer to build one for 500."
like Martin, I've got my grail watch. It's a Seiko Alpinist. It's not very expensive, less than the Swatch 50 fathom, The intended customer is a Japanese version of me. He wants a watch he can wear on the hill and in a restaurant in town, bearing in mind that he's no longer 25 and doesn't now leave his rucksack in the foyer every time he goes out for a meal. That's me too. As for exclusive, I've never seen another out in the wild. You can't say that about a Rolex. I also have the Alpinists kid brother, a Seiko SNK805 that was under £50 and has been flawless in daily use for 10 years. That too is good design and engineering. It's not as well finished as a more expensive watch, but it's more than good enough.

Last edited:
+1 to SNK805. A simple thing, done exceptionally-well.

I wouldnt call the orange monster a 'grail' watch, except in a Monty-Python sense; I am fine with that also - Nobody Expects the Orange Monster!
Our main weapon is surprise! Surprise and being VERY orange!
that's 2
Our 2 weapons are surprise, being VERY orange, and having a robust automatic movement!
Our THREE...

My Orange Monster, bought in 2010, needs work on the movement. Its power reserve is barely a few hours. Apparently the 7s26 movement can be replaced by a current one with hand winding, but I’d like the original crown retained which could be a problem.

There was nothing like the Monsters in the 2000s & they & their descendants are still very uncommon in the wild. I’ve only seen one other original OM. Mine has had a lot of compliments over the years.

Away from work I’ve been wearing a Citizen NY0040-E nearly exclusively for a couple of years now. I love the auxiliary hand winding; it keeps good time; is easy to read; & has an appealing whimsy about it that the equivalent SKX Seikos lack (I have a couple of those & their predecessors).

I had a chuckle recently when someone asked me if the NY was a Casio! Funny because I like Casio too. I have several & wear a G-Shock at work.

My Orange Monster, bought in 2010, needs work on the movement. Its power reserve is barely a few hours. Apparently the 7s26 movement can be replaced by a current one with hand winding, but I’d like the original crown retained which could be a problem.

There was nothing like the Monsters in the 2000s & they & their descendants are still very uncommon in the wild. I’ve only seen one other original OM. Mine has had a lot of compliments over the years.

Away from work I’ve been wearing a Citizen NY0040-E nearly exclusively for a couple of years now. I love the auxiliary hand winding; it keeps good time; is easy to read; & has an appealing whimsy about it that the equivalent SKX Seikos lack (I have a couple of those & their predecessors).

I had a chuckle recently when someone asked me if the NY was a Casio! Funny because I like Casio too. I have several & wear a G-Shock at work.
The Casio Duro is a very good looking divers watch at under £60. Quartz, but if you want something that looks good, keeps time from one year to the next for nothing more than a £5 battery every 2 years and that will do so regardless of what you do to it for the price of a pub meal for 2, then there aren't many better choices. I keep having to stop myself from buying one.

The Casio Duro is a very good looking divers watch at under £60. Quartz, but if you want something that looks good, keeps time from one year to the next for nothing more than a £5 battery every 2 years and that will do so regardless of what you do to it for the price of a pub meal for 2, then there aren't many better choices. I keep having to stop myself from buying one.
My favourite dress watch is a Casio. There’s nothing better than quartz for a weekly/fortnightly/monthly grab & go.

One thing about cheap Casios though is that they have the horriblest bracelets ever! Otherwise they’re really well made watches, amazing for their affordability.

advertisement

Back