advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

True. Lifted from a watch forum I came across while googling the brand further..

"Sicura was a fashion brand, their watches are often large and impressive looking but of no notable quality bar a few models. Most have plated cases and simple pin pallet movements."

I guess I'm just jarred off Im not going to be able to sort my unfinished business/nostagia trip thing for anything less than about 10 times the cost I'd rather naively hoped :)

It's absurd. Over the last 10 years, vintage sports watches with colorful dials have really taken off. Undoubtedly fueled by social media. millennials, hipsters and newcomers have been driven into a frenzy looking for these type of watches. As the good, previously more affordable sports watches have become more ridiculously-priced, these fans have sought out 2nd and even 3rd rate watches as long as they have a certain sporty look.

More than a decade or so ago, you could easily have picked up Omega divers, Omega/Heuer/Lemania/etc chronos (e.g various Speedmaster variations), other divers for less than $1000. Nowadays these watches are easily 2-4X in prices.

If I were you, I'd look for a vintage watche from a good marque (Omega, IWC, Longines, etc). These watches so far have not gone up so much.

The watch I am currently wearing is a 1972 Omega Constellation Chronometer day date. Hammersnipe recently started listing all bids it had made on my behalf. I was interested to see I bought this watch in 2015 for the princely sum of £211. It cost £180 to have it serviced and a new crystal fitted.
That's a lot of watch for under £400
So I would agree with Hockman, look for a vintage watch from a good marque

It's absurd. Over the last 10 years, vintage sports watches with colorful dials have really taken off. Undoubtedly fueled by social media. millennials, hipsters and newcomers have been driven into a frenzy looking for these type of watches. As the good, previously more affordable sports watches have become more ridiculously-priced, these fans have sought out 2nd and even 3rd rate watches as long as they have a certain sporty look.

That's a very good analysis. I couldn't figure why relative low grade stuff such as the Sicura watches with their horrible worn plated finishes are being advertised at such high prices - but I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Just been sent a link to an article about this:

28806987-D2-A4-4-AB8-B477-AE2-C6-CD77-EAF.png

I think I’m in love…

More than a decade or so ago, you could easily have picked up Omega divers, Omega/Heuer/Lemania/etc chronos (e.g various Speedmaster variations), other divers for less than $1000. Nowadays these watches are easily 2-4X in prices.

If I were you, I'd look for a vintage watche from a good marque (Omega, IWC, Longines, etc). These watches so far have not gone up so much.

On a broader note - are there any other good quality / well built and interesting watches that you gentlemen of the Fish watch threads would similarly recommend as being much under appreciated/undervalued out there at the moment ?

Omega-HS8-W0206-scaled.jpg

I have recently been clearing out my late Mother's house and came across my Father's old wrist watch, identical to the one in the picture above apart from the strap.

It's a government issue Omega HS8, Case No. 4868 Movement No 9917936. My Father was in the Parachute Regiment and I remember him telling me years ago that the watch was issued to him in 1944 (I think) when he got his "wings" and just before he was dropped over Nijmegen as part of Operation Market Garden. He also wore it on active service in Palestine, so it has seen some action!

There is a small card with the watch bearing the Omega logo saying it was checked and reconditioned by the Omega Watch Co in 9/47. I don't think it was ever serviced again, and has lain untouched in a box for the last twenty years or more.

The watch goes a bit but keeps stopping. What would be the best way of getting it fixed: send it back to Omega again, or take it to a local watch repairers? They aren't rare and seem to sell on eBay for anything between around £1,500 and £2,500, so worth fixing, but not spending silly money on. I won't be selling it but I'd like to get it going again and wear it.

Great story and (bar the hideous strap) lovely watch. I know DOM from HiFiWigwam used to do this stuff. But yes I agree. Find a good watch restorer, ignore Omega and specify the job you want doing. I wouldn't wear it every day if it were me. Special occasions or just to keep it ticking over (sry:) ).

I wouldn't sweat it. There's loads out there if you cast the net a little wider. Look to Russia (Vostok etc), India (HMT) and vintage pieces from Avia, Rotary, etc. Seiko. Citizen. Be imaginative. It's just a watch. I bet I can get you more interest out of £100 than you can with £1000 or even £2000 and the obvious premium brands.

On a broader note - are there any other good quality / well built and interesting watches that you gentlemen of the Fish watch threads would similarly recommend as being much under appreciated/undervalued out there at the moment ?
it depends on the price range and personally I like COSC items that don’t charge O or R money. My SH21 movement Chris Ward as an example where the same movement in a Meistersinger is £4K upwards. Or my Mido Ocean Diver 600m with both COSC and silicon hairspring and helium escape valve. I love Lange & Sohne but don’t expect to ever own one, I fancy a Tissot Chronometer and a Tissot T-Touch Connect too but funds are needed for other things, like forthcoming wedding and stuff to do in the house. Ah well…

^ I like that Mido. Good to see something interesting that's not coming from the major league manufacturers (for want of a better term).

I wouldn't sweat it. There's loads out there if you cast the net a little wider. Look to Russia (Vostok etc), India (HMT) and vintage pieces from Avia, Rotary, etc. Seiko. Citizen. Be imaginative. It's just a watch. I bet I can get you more interest out of £100 than you can with £1000 or even £2000 and the obvious premium brands.

Have to say that's spot on. The best value for money stuff I've bought over the last lot of years would include an Amphibia, a fully working Seiko Bellmatic, and a couple of Seiko kinetic self-charging quartz watches with the amusing sleep/auto wakeup and time reset - which all cost buttons, (less than £300 in total at a rough tally).

Hello Fish people , I have this watch, It belonged to my Dad
SEIKO SQ 100 , Water resistant to 10 bar , Made in Japan
I realy like the style / face / hands , Problem is it has a SS strap that is to short and would stop the circulation into my hand , Also from previous watches the SS straps grab the hairs on my arm " OUCH " I much prefur leather straps
I assume it has a internal battery that is now flat . Is this a Diy job or best take to a jewlers , It does not have the push in pin type strap fixing , It has some sort of rear inner fixing
Any advice welcome
Thanks
8BE8E4CF-35C1-4D4E-8873-1BAF8124F811 by , on Flickr

I take it that's a no then :D

@AudioAl - I didn't answer because (a) I was sure someone with a lot more knowledge than I would have come back to you before now - and (b) because when I looked into the Flickr account to see if I could get a look at the back of the watch, the next pic that came up was this.. :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150639903@N08/51359934707/in/photostream/

Anyhoo - if yours is the same as this SQ 100 variant in the link below, then unless you have a case-back remover tool yes it's a quick trip to the local jewellers to get him/her to fit a new battery. From the pics on the link, the stainless strap also looks to be held on by a conventional telescopic pin. Easy enough to get out with a pin and lots of patience, or similarly, ask the local jeweller to do the needful when you are getting the battery changed.

https://www.birthyearwatches.com/product/1998-seiko-sq100-watch-7n43-8001/

I like the Visodate. There are Hamilton watches that are similarly tasteful and classic. Now I have to avoid buying either.
I have Tissot and Hamilton watches, I also have five Elliot Brown watches, an English brand with Swiss and Japanese movements, tested beyond belief, they are bomb proof, and reasonably priced, take a look at their website their testing is something else. Just google elliot brown watches (all one word) they are a dot com and based in Poole.

I have Tissot and Hamilton watches, I also have five Elliot Brown watches, an English brand with Swiss and Japanese movements, tested beyond belief, they are bomb proof, and reasonably priced, take a look at their website their testing is something else. Just google elliot brown watches (all one word) they are a dot com and based in Poole.
I like that. Sensibly priced too.

I have a black Elliot Brown Tyneham, and it's pretty bulletproof. In fact, I'll get it out of the cupboard now and give it a spin

advertisement

Back