advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

I've been watching reviews of a few SARBs and as one commentator suggests, the SARB033 is a slow burner that takes time to ignite the embers of desire, but once it does, an eternal flame follows forever more... once you change the strap.

s_sarb033j_1024x1024.jpeg

That is a fine looking timepiece as well.

I should avoid these watch threads. I wandered off around the web for half an hour there this morning looking at Seikos old and new, and came across this 60's vintage Seiko Champion on 'tBay:

s-l1600.jpg

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=272622520890

Polished to within an inch of its life, and being flogged at what seems an extortionate price - over 900USD - esp with no guarantee it's not a Frankenwatch with non-standard internals..but it is rather stunning.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I do like the look of those Seikos. I have never bought into the ridiculous trend for walking about with something akin to a dinner plate strapped to your wrist.. especially if it has multiple dials and a high degree of pointless bezellation.

That is a fine looking timepiece as well.

I should avoid these watch threads. I wandered off around the web for half an hour there this morning looking at Seikos old and new, and came across this 60's vintage Seiko Champion on 'tBay:

s-l1600.jpg

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=272622520890

Polished to within an inch of its life, and being flogged at what seems an extortionate price - over 900USD - esp with no guarantee it's not a Frankenwatch with non-standard internals..but it is rather stunning.

That's a very nice watch indeed!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have never bought into the ridiculous trend for walking about with something akin to a dinner plate strapped to your wrist.. especially if it has multiple dials and a high degree of pointless bezellation.

Agreed. We need to start a bezellation backlash Mull.

I was going to post a picture of to my mind one of the worst - the ubiquitous Rolex fluted bezel..but decided I couldn't justify sullying the thread to such a degree.

So here's a link for the stronger of stomach:

http://www.sdwatches.com/product/ro...-bezel-rolex-datejust-2tone-mop-factory-dial/

(even worser in that dreadful 'bimetallic' two-tone)

Mine too. I think they are horrible ostentatious things but they divide opinion and expressing any negative view can ignite some impressive flame wars. One man's horrible ostentatious is anothers understated elegance. However anyone who can consider that vile Datejust attractive is on another planet imo.

There is one Rolex, the Perpetua iirc, that is elegant and not in your face. Destined to sell in low numbers I suspect.

This is the watch I use for outdoors stuff as it was cheap and pretty rugged - it's even been worn when diving down to about 20m or so. I originally got one for my wife (who's an army cadet force officer) in green but got myself one as well. Being ex-Navy I decided against the green one though:
large.jpg

Wow that Seiko Champion is a beaut.

Indeed. Seiko really do make some lovely watches

The thing is, for every expensive Rolex/Omega/Whatever there is a Seiko look alike which is arguably at least as good, or better, at about a quarter of the price. It grieves me to say it, but my Omega Seamaster Coaxial Chronometer (a retirement present) is really no better than my Seiko SARX 017.

23113422106001-20.png

S-SARX017_a_1024x1024.jpg

I love those Seikos. Would you believe it, but they even make Seiko clones - here's my diver on a NATO:

diver.jpg

It's a quartz copy of a rather nice Seiko, and one of these days I might seek out the original. Certainly don't mind this one getting a few knocks, and it's got far better luminosity of the dial than a modern Sub....

What are the likely financial obligations of owning an automatic watch such as a Seiko SARBxxx with regard to repair/ servicing costs? I've got a cheap quartz that cost £10 and as fond of it as I am, if a new battery doesn't get it going when it stops working, then it's destined for the bin. I might well take my Fossil quartz to a repair shop, but even then I don't imagine the repair bill being too exorbitant. An automatic import from Japan, however, is a different kettle of fish, I'm sure. Would one be looking to send to Japan for repair/ servicing, and even if not, what servicing will it likely require, and at what cost?

What are the likely financial obligations of owning an automatic watch such as a Seiko SARBxxx with regard to repair/ servicing costs? I've got a cheap quartz that cost £10 and as fond of it as I am, if a new battery doesn't get it going when it stops working, then it's destined for the bin. I might well take my Fossil quartz to a repair shop, but even then I don't imagine the repair bill being too exorbitant. An automatic import from Japan, however, is a different kettle of fish, I'm sure. Would one be looking to send to Japan for repair/ servicing, and even if not, what servicing will it likely require, and at what cost?

You'll have to get it serviced approximately every 10 years. I am not sure what a seiko service costs, but it is a time consuming manual job so it wont be cheap. If you look at mechanical watches from a purely practical standpoint, they don't make sense.

advertisement

Back