advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

Agreed, they (Rolex) are grossly overpriced even at list for what you get. IG played a bit part hyping Rolex up. Annual price increases, obscene demand for limited production, this is the result.
It's exactly what they played for, and they got it. Rolex are now regarded as "the best" so a simple mechanism in a steel case invented about 70 years ago is now priced on a par with a cheap new car. And there's a queue!

Since the start of the first lockdown I've worn my Apple watch 95% of the time.

I cant justify an Automatic of any sort on that basis so I'm going to sell my Rolex GMT II and Explorer and settle down with these two.

Does anyone know of a secondhand dealer that buy's Rolex at a fair price? Seems that the GMT is now worth over £10,000 which makes a private sale rather scary.

Since the start of the first lockdown I've worn my Apple watch 95% of the time.

I cant justify an Automatic of any sort on that basis so I'm going to sell my Rolex GMT II and Explorer and settle down with these two.

Does anyone know of a secondhand dealer that buy's Rolex at a fair price? Seems that the GMT is now worth over £10,000 which makes a private sale rather scary.

I don't blame you. There's sentimental value to mine or I'd do the same. Take some nice pics and price it reasonably on here? @Spike might know someone .... GL.

Agreed, they (Rolex) are grossly overpriced even at list for what you get. IG played a bit part hyping Rolex up. Annual price increases, obscene demand for limited production, this is the result.

Suits me fine. I was only going to buy the one Rolex, and it turned out to be a very lucky choice: stainless Daytona, black face, about a year old, four hundred quid under list in 2013! Well over double that now.

Hopefully I’ll never need to sell the thing, and then my nephew can have it.

My GMT II cost less than £2000 in 2003, a couple of services since cost £180 and £600 and it seems that I can make a more that 200% profit on the total cost of ownership when I sell it on. Plus I got to wear a GMT II for almost 20 years. If that's overpriced I'd like to see something that isn't.

I bought my Daytona from https://www.miltonsjewellers.com/

on recommendation by one or two Fishes. No messing, highly regarded.

Thanks I'll give them a call

My GMT II cost less than £2000 in 2003, a couple of services since cost £180 and £600 and it seems that I can make a more that 200% profit on the total cost of ownership when I sell it on. Plus I got to wear a GMT II for almost 20 years. If that's overpriced I'd like to see something that isn't.

Thanks I'll give them a call

Indeed, same can be said for my kermit which cost me £3600 14 years ago. I could sell for over 10-11k tomorrow - there's sentimental value or it would have been moved on already.

I am referring to current prices, especially compared to the likes of JLC. A quick scan on Watchfinder illustrates how much "more" you can get with JLC. Depends what floats ya boat....

I am referring to current prices, especially compared to the likes of JLC. A quick scan on Watchfinder illustrates how much "more" you can get with JLC. Depends what floats ya boat....

When I was looking for a watch for my 50th, I had a good look at the JLC ranges from over the years, and I couldn’t really see anything I liked. Lots of beautiful watches, but nothing that was ‘me’. And that takes me on to an important point: few of us have enough time to try on every watch in our budget that’s ever been made.
Come up with a shortlist, try them on (important), buy what you like.

I know people who spend more time choosing iPhones, watches, televisions etc that they spend choosing a house!

When I was looking for a watch for my 50th, I had a good look at the JLC ranges from over the years, and I couldn’t really see anything I liked. Lots of beautiful watches, but nothing that was ‘me’. And that takes me on to an important point: few of us have enough time to try on every watch in our budget that’s ever been made.
Come up with a shortlist, try them on (important), buy what you like.

I know people who spend more time choosing iPhones, watches, televisions etc that they spend choosing a house!

Trying on is paramount IME. Even a few mm can be signifcant to sway things. The Pateks I've tried on weren't 'me' despite how much I liked the appearance. Same for Richard Mille.

My Dad has a Reverso that suits him well, especially dressed up.

advertisement

Back