advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

WTF is an unboxing video about? If you want something just buy it. Not behave like a 3 year old showing off his Christmas presents. Pathetic consumerist nonsense.

'Unboxing' is a 'thing' on the internet. Pure voyeurism for people who cannot afford the article in question but want a good drool....

There is a similar thing where people (usually girls it has to be said) make a video of themselves trying on their latest 'haul' (they call it) of clothes before they take it all back to the retailer. They call them 'influencers', with sometimes hundreds of thousands of viewers. And world has officially gone stark raving bonkers. Sad, pathetic lives that some people lead.

Maybe. Perhaps the last bit was bit strong. It always was the preserve the us oldies to shake our heads at what the youngsters get up to..... on the other hand it is their world and life, and we have mostly had ours back in the day.

Mind, those very same people might think of us hifi 'geeks' sad because we like to ogle other peoples hifi rooms, rugs, or wristwatches. Or arguing the abstruse details of digital conversion on MQA threads.

Takes a diverse bunch of people to make a world.

Also I have seen people mostly men showing of their music systems , They even take the lids of and show you what's inside , Unbelievable

:rolleyes::D

I'm sure it divides opinion but I quite like that!

I still hanker after a Smiths W10 but out of my price range. Ken Kessler had one for sale at Audio Jumble a couple of years ago.

Its a real marmite watch and looks like it could of been in Blake 7 :) were as the W10 has that cool vintage look to it

That's a strange looking watch even to me, and I am someone who does like some strange watches (Seiko Tunas, Seiko Bullheads and the SHOM Omega Seamaster). The proportions just don't seem to work well.

Eddie usually models his watches on classic military watches. Do you know the inspiration behind this watch?

To me, it seems to be inspired by the shape of the Omega SHOM I posted above and the Triton Spirotechnique dive watch below. The Spirotechnique is very cool with an articulated hinged upper part where the crown sits. An acquired taste for sure, but very cool nevertheless. You can tell I want one! But it must be an original vintage one of course.

How do you like the PRS 40?

TRITONWATCHES-13.jpg

Speaking of Time Factors, my favorite 'homage' watch is the Explorer. It's modeled after the original Rolex Explorer, smaller and before it became more 'bling'. IIRC I paid only about $200 for it. I loved it but unfortunately it got stolen.

SMITHS_EVEREST_PRS25_NATO.jpg

SMITHS_EVEREST_PRS25_WRIST1.jpg

Until not too long ago, the Smiths W10 was a relatively common military watch (bear in mind that real military watches are by their nature, quite rare). You could pick one up for maybe less than $500 and they were usually in nice condition. Unfortunately, most vintage military watches have gone crazy in price...

They are cool and one of the few British military watches that are actually 'Made in England' rather than Switzerland.

I still hanker after a Smiths W10 but out of my price range. Ken Kessler had one for sale at Audio Jumble a couple of years ago.

Not so nowadays with cost cutting etc. But there's a long history of watches specially made for military personnel and designed to specs set by MoD for example. These watches were not available to the general public and they eventually found their way into the collector's market when decommissioned. Many countries had watches issued to their forces and the British ones are some of the most collectable. The Smiths W10 is one of the less coveted models.

Who in the military wears a ‘military watch’?

A cheap Casio seems to be common among Apache pilots!

That's a strange looking watch even to me, and I am someone who does like some strange watches (Seiko Tunas, Seiko Bullheads and the SHOM Omega Seamaster). The proportions just don't seem to work well.

Eddie usually models his watches on classic military watches. Do you know the inspiration behind this watch?

To me, it seems to be inspired by the shape of the Omega SHOM I posted above and the Triton Spirotechnique dive watch below. The Spirotechnique is very cool with an articulated hinged upper part where the crown sits. An acquired taste for sure, but very cool nevertheless. You can tell I want one! But it must be an original vintage one of course.

How do you like the PRS 40?

TRITONWATCHES-13.jpg

They both look great I to own a Tuna and have just sold my Bullhead
I've only had the PRS-40 a few days now but so far I'm enjoying it, the case design isn't for everyone thats true
Its built like a tank and has the weight to match , The G10 strap it came with feels stiff and so this morning I
washed it in some soften and now its much better but I have ordered some new straps for it .
The lume works well and can be seen though the night
Give it a few weeks and I'll do a fill video review for my channel but at the min its a keeper :)

Not so nowadays with cost cutting etc. But there's a long history of watches specially made for military personnel and designed to specs set by MoD for example. These watches were not available to the general public and they eventually found their way into the collector's market when decommissioned. Many countries had watches issued to their forces and the British ones are some of the most collectable. The Smiths W10 is one of the less coveted models.
Must have been a very long time ago, before wristwatches were available at giveaway prices with great accuracy. I joined the RAF in 1981 and as far as I know there was no such thing.

Must have been a very long time ago, before wristwatches were available at giveaway prices with great accuracy. I joined the RAF in 1981 and as far as I know there was no such thing.

I've seen these Gen 1 & Gen 2 Seiko RAF pilots watches from around that time. I'd always assumed they were standard issue but maybe not.

https://mrjoneswatches.com/products/seiko-raf-issued-chronograph
https://corrvintagewatches.com/product/1994-seiko-gen-2-raf-issued-military-pilots-chronograph/

advertisement

Back