advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

Jack thanks for heads up, what is the difference between yours and this one?

It hasn't got a back light, which might have come in handy for an extra £2.16. Damn.

Jack

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I may be misunderstanding, but F91 does have a light. Top left. It says light on the picture on the amazon link.

Oof, steady on. My most recent watch came to me in a puddle with a broken strap. A buckle from the bits box saw it fixed. It's a Swatch and a rather nice classical design, so more than good enough for sports and being lugged about in a rucsac or gym bag.

Reminds of the time I lost my black plastic Swatch while swimming off Winchelsea Beach at high tide in about twenty feet of water opposite the old lifeboat house. Three days later we were walking over the shingle at low tide with our granddaughter when she said "I can see your watch on the stones" and sure enough there it was. The buckle pin had broken but otherwise it was fine and still working, having survived around six successive immersions. That was about ten years ago and it's still working and is still my gym and swimming watch!

I just bought this Zacro bracelet-link removal tool as it just dropped from £5.99 to £3.99 delivered @ Amazon. The plastic one I already own is on its last legs - even though I've only used it once - so this should see me through for the rest of my watch-wearing life :)

61qL7hfRJML._UX522_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I wear an apple watch s2 99.9% of the time it's just too useful to not wear it.
I also have a Seiko orange monster, a bulova precisionist, an emporio armani the wife bought me and chinese 'homages' to the tag monaco and IWC portuguese that are better than they have any right to be for the money I paid.
I'll usually wear the precisionist when i need a 'dress watch' although changing the strap on the apple is almost as good.
The others hardly get any wrist time but I keep them for sentimental reasons.

I keep promising myself a Grand Seiko of some sort some day but the funds always seem to get diverted elsewhere.

I just bought this Zacro bracelet-link removal tool as it just dropped from £5.99 to £3.99 delivered @ Amazon. The plastic one I already own is on its last legs - even though I've only used it once - so this should see me through for the rest of my watch-wearing life :)

61qL7hfRJML._UX522_.jpg

I've been meaning to get one, instead of running back and forth to Martin's in Glasgow. Is it straight forward? I've always been afraid I'd reinsert a link pin incorrectly and lose a watch.

Perfect 'daily banger'. :)
Absolutely, I think I destroyed a couple by wearing them for rock climbing in the 90s. Velcro straps were in vogue at the time, remember them? At the price it wasn't worth taking them off.

These days I have slightly more expensive tastes and even the daily watch is removed and dropped in a rucsac.

I've been meaning to get one, instead of running back and forth to Martin's in Glasgow. Is it straight forward? I've always been afraid I'd reinsert a link pin incorrectly and lose a watch.

I've found it can be a bit fiddly on some cheaper watches but was very straight forward to do on my Tag.

Popping pins out and in is a pure doddle with one of these little devices: simply rest links on the bit next to the screwing pun, line up, and screw ahead till the pin pops by 4 or 5mm, then pull it out the rest of the way with small plyers - making sure you don't lose the inner collar/sleeve. Use a small hammer (preferably a watch hammer) to reinsert pin into the same side it came out and use screw device to make sure it's nice and snug back inside the link. There's a good guide on the web, I'll see if I can find it when I'm home from work.

Anyone a fan of the German Glasshutte watches? I read such nice things about their movements.

I quite like the Mühle Glashütte watches. These are a bit more entry level than Glashütte Original, or A Lange which I guess you are thinking of.

Mühle use, or did use ETA movements on their entry level watches, but must now use their own movements or modified movements to qualify for the Glashütte designation.

A.Lange are pretty much top of the tree, but a tiny bit outside my price range.

My personal preference for german watches are the Frankfurt based firm Sinn. Supplier of iconic watches to various german security agencies, and again, movements are mostly ETA.

I went back to James Porter & Son this afternoon to look at the Grand Seiko Snowflake - sorry, that's the (five and a half) Grand Seiko Snowflake - and as suggested in some reviews online, the texture on the dial has to be seen in the flesh to be fully appreciated as the silky soft, snow-like texture is very nice indeed.

But like the Seiko SARB017 Alpinist that I previously saw through their window, it didn't speak to me either; which makes me think simply looking at a watch through a window without even the briefest of contact, whether a moment or two on the wrist or a couple of seconds in your hands, isn't anywhere near enough to get a feel for whether that watch is the one for you - or one of the ones for you.

55-19-009.jpg

I also like the look of the (four and a half) Grand Seiko SBGA003, but again, it didn't look as great through a shop window (this window shopping malarkey is proving to be a bit of a let down as few of the watches if any looked especially decent let alone desirable).

55-19-004.jpg

I simply don't have the pennies to buy a Grand Seiko anyway, so I didn't think there was any point asking for one to be retrieved for my perusing pleasure, but one day I might... and one day I might just buy one... maybe.

Trouble is, I'm a tiny bit of a snob, so if I had 5 big ones in the pocket, and knew I could buy an IWC, or a Tudor, or an Omega
or a Seiko

I MIGHT just say, sod the engineering, and go for the name.

Trouble is, I'm a tiny bit of a snob, so if I had 5 big ones in the pocket, and knew I could buy an IWC, or a Tudor, or an Omega
or a Seiko

I MIGHT just say, sod the engineering, and go for the name.

I used to have the same sort of thinking with hifi boxes - once upon a time I had to have a Naim amp with my Linn Kans - but I now know the grass isn't just green on the other side, it's red and yellow and pink and green, purple and orange and blue... and so it is with almost everything we desire in life; we can choose to decide for ourselves the aspirational and intrinsic value of this, that or whatever - including expensive watches - no matter what other people say about it... including it's economic, aspirational or intrinsic value.

In saying that, I'm all for people making informed choices and spending their pennies on this, that or whatever whether I like it or not :)

Personally speaking, I rather like the idea of owning a Grand Seiko because most people won't have a clue what it is. Plenty of people know that IWC, Omega, and Rolex etc are expensive, which for me is a bit of a turn off. Ok, I'm an inverted snob with an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Chronometer hidden in my sock drawer upstairs - but you know what I mean.

advertisement

Back