advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

If watches were Hi-Fi what would be what?

I've always thought of Rolex as the Linn of watches. Nicely made, overpriced, based largely on the reputation of one model and ultimately a bit 'meh'.

Seiko would have to be something like Rotel or maybe Marantz. Not too flashy, sensibly priced but capable of great results.

Further ideas?

The Hondas of watches surely ?

I like watches as they hide the fact that some of my shirts don't quite reach my wrist, my left arm seems a tad longer than my right.

A common enough problem amongst those with a long history of wearing outsize/overweight watches Mike :p

Put your handbag away sweetie. Would you like to tell me why Seiko engineering doesn't match your idea of quality?

Im too big for handbags, they just don't suit me, try as I may.

It was this comment
' I'd love an IWC watch but at $750 *more* than a Grand Seiko, itself not bargain basement, I'd want it to be a visibly different animal to a standard-issue £50 Seiko'

that suggested to me that you favoured watches with eye catching design. I own an IWC, and have just swapped out a Seiko, and knowing what is inside each the Grand Seiko is better than or at least on a par with the modified ETA movement in the cheaper IWC's, but not quite in the class of the more expensive IWC's with in house movements. If I misinterpreted your post, sorry.

If I misinterpreted your post, sorry.
That's why I said "the IWC wears its beauty on the inside." The thing that strikes me though is how very close the IWC is in appearance to the Seiko military watches. I have an SNK 805, a green one also available in blue or black, all for loose change. Same case size (37 or 38 iirc) and other than a face marked in minutes rather than hours it's all but identical. The IWC *has* to wear its beauty on the inside, because otherwise you can barely tell them apart. This isn't to say I want anything flashy, but if I'm buying Rolls Royce quality I don't want it to look just like a Toyota Corolla.

I've been watching watches on TV recently and having read that wiki on how to wear a watch, particularly the note about how a watch should barely if at all be visible while wearing a long-sleeved shirt unless the arm is bent, well it looks like someone forgot to tell the style department of Bosch as his partner's watch tends to be worn above the cuff, or at least the cuff slips beneath the watch's face in several scenes, and Marco Fu's watch is simply too large to fit beneath his cuff.

I've no idea what watch Bosch's partner wears, but it looks like Marco Fu wears this Memorigin.

4894379720241.png

This is April 1st is it? Someone somewhere is seriously telling us how to wear a watch.....????
ahahahahahahahahha...oh sorry, shouldn't laugh but for goodness sake, whoever it is, please, go find something useful to do. Help the aged, walk for cancer, climb a mountain, go help kids with Malaria, become a Scientist even (if you must) but
leave
us
alone.
:)))

My Seiko SARB033 arrived and it's looking very nice indeed! I'll need to take out a link for a better fit, but first I need to find out how to remove it lol

Cheers Alan, when I saw that tool I thought I've got something like that myself already and sure enough, I've got something like it - although by something like it, I mean cheap plastic tat that held together just long enough to do the job! It might manage a few more ins and outs, but I'll probably get the one linked above for long-term durability.

And as you say, there's nothing wrong with the stock bracelet whatsoever :)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Gave into temptation and ordered a Casio F-91W from Amazon for £7.83 here.

Had one when it first came out. It will be strange not using an iPhone as a clock.

Jack

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

Had one when it first came out. It will be strange not using an iPhone as a clock.

Jack

£7.83 for a Casio? That's crazy cheap!

Oof, steady on. My most recent watch came to me in a puddle with a broken strap. A buckle from the bits box saw it fixed. It's a Swatch and a rather nice classical design, so more than good enough for sports and being lugged about in a rucsac or gym bag.

Really enjoying mine. Being so lightweight it's super comfortable. And I can't help but be tickled that it cost under a tenner.

Really enjoying mine. Being so lightweight it's super comfortable. And I can't help but be tickled that it cost under a tenner.

Completely forgotten how small there are compared to the G-Shocks. Manged to set it without using the instruction book. Can't be bad. Bit strange to be wearing a watch again though.

The batteries on these things last almost forever. The chances are the watch will still be going when I am not.

Jack

congrats to living a predicted 'just short of forever'...mind, you'll need to invest in some serious supplies of man nappies:)

Jack thanks for heads up, what is the difference between yours and this one?

advertisement

Back