advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

I use one of these wraparound velcro straps with my Casio Duro and it's just the bees knees. It's extremely comfortable and it holds the mighty behemoth in place no sweat, even though the appendage is only 20mm across. I'd be delighted to find a 22mm velcro strap that comes with a 22mm appendage but I just can't find one. But even though my velcro strap is meant for 20mm watches, it's just so good in every other regard I don't mind it showing a bit of metal at the ends of the springs bars. Brilliant combo!

71mxtNkfnLL._AC_UL320_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I very much like the Citizen Eco-drive watches; I've worn the same one for c.17 years, and I love the wholly-unfussy design - clarity, simplicity (and at 38mm case) it is very comfy on a plain black nato strap. Does all I want, of a thing worn daily.

eta: hang on a mo, I'll take it off and take a pic..

IMG_1228%20citizen%20eco-solar_600px.jpg

I've got some cerium oxide powder - must polish the minor scratches out of the glass, last done a couple of yrs ago; comes up like new!

I very much like the Citizen Eco-drive watches; I've worn the same one for c.17 years, and I love the wholly-unfussy design - clarity, simplicity (and at 38mm case) it is very comfy on a plain black nato strap. Does all I want, of a thing worn daily.

eta: hang on a mo, I'll take it off and take a pic..

IMG_1228%20citizen%20eco-solar_600px.jpg

I've got some cerium oxide powder - must polish the minor scratches out of the glass, last done a couple of yrs ago; comes up like new!

I had a Pulsar Kinetic quite similar to that for a ages - it was great. Sadly I managed to somehow smash it between two flightcases :-(

Which reminds me - Christopher Ward bought the Trident brand name a few years back, but I have one of the originals from around 1973. It was a lower-tier British brand IIRC, somewhere above Timex and Accurist, but not what you'd call posh. I can't find much about it at all but it was my first 'proper' watch, 25 jewel automatic, Incabloc, all that stuff. I found it in the loft at my parents' house last summer, while helping to clear out prior to moving them out. It still runs, but the crown has broken so it can't be adjusted or wound and it needs a good fettling. I'm sure it's not worth much, but I'd like to get it usable again, so a service and a new strap at some point. I approached a couple of the watch wranglers recommended on this thread, who turned their noses up, or wouldn't talk to me until I told them what the movement was and I don't have the tool to remove the back so I have no idea.

Please post a pic when you get a chance. I’d love to see an original Trident!

I don't own any Citizen myself but they make great affordable watches. In fact, these days I'd rate them over Seiko which seems to be all over the place, pushing their overall price levels up and making lots of absurd limited edition reissues of their old models.

@hockman

61T8TM9NmrL._AC_UY780_.jpg

I'm not normally keen on black faced watches but those are both rather nice.

Having said that....

a2ce5bb3d250d0d5e5e0218b29336783

Hmmmm...

Oh hang on, they have blue too!

5f08516bN46d6d9e2.jpg!q70.jpg

My first contribution to this thread.
Long time collector, buyer/seller, wearer of all manner of watches, from £50 > a lot more...
Prefer watches like Zenith over Rolex.

Ended up dramatically reducing my collection to just a few now.
Daily wear - and probably favourite watch is this.

Grand Seiko GMT SBGN005G. 39mm, 12mm thick.
Uses the Cal. 9F86 quartz. Accurate to +/- 10 seconds per year.
Owned for many years now - prefer the 'watch gecko' NATO to the bracelet it came on.

My first contribution to this thread.
Long time collector, buyer/seller, wearer of all manner of watches, from £50 > a lot more...
Prefer watches like Zenith over Rolex.

Ended up dramatically reducing my collection to just a few now.
Daily wear - and probably favourite watch is this.

Grand Seiko GMT SBGN005G. 39mm, 12mm thick.
Uses the Cal. 9F86 quartz. Accurate to +/- 10 seconds per year.
Owned for many years now - prefer the 'watch gecko' NATO to the bracelet it came on.

Just got one myself and it's one of my favorites. Straight off the bracelet when it arrived too.

You're not supposed to take it off Martin, we're supposed to see a real close up of your hairy wrist :)
Lol! The classic 'powerfully-built Director' (ahem) shot beloved of pistonheads watch threads.

haha, and - not likely.

though that's not to say I haven't done it myself here previously- deliberately, to take the piss, with an ancient, owes-me-nothing Casio I've had 27+ yrs.

Of course I had to browse the Christopher Ward website…

One of these on the way…

https://www.christopherward.com/dive-watches/c60-elite-1000/C60-42ADD3-T0BB0-HO.html

Obviously with a welcome discount for signing up to their newsletter.

A very appropriate choice!

Hmm. Their website is such a treasure trove of delights and temptation…

… and it’s great to see how their designs have evolved over the years. I like the look of their Rolex Explorer 2 ‘homage’:

https://www.christopherward.com/sports-watches/c63-sealander-gmt/C63-39AGM3-S00W1-VK.html

Though the best homage is the Tudor Black Bay Pro. Just a shame it’s so thick:

https://www.tudorwatch.com/en/watches/black-bay-pro

Last edited:

advertisement

Back