advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

and as a cat lover, I do like this one..

rolex-cosmograph-daytona-special-edition-safari-leopard-diamond-baguette-bezel-116598-watch-chest-2.jpg

I just coughed up a few lumps :(

no denying tho, that inside that HIDEOUS case ticks a very very sound heart, Rolex being amongst a select handful of swiss watch makers who still use their own movements, unlike most, who 'modify' ETA movements. OK, ETAs are fine movements, but still, by defentition a tad mass market. I own one in my IWC, so I'm aware of what they are like. Whatever ones opinion on Rolex design inc, Rolex engineering is top class still in the world.

I'd say strictly - the tech spec tells you that: the daft looking hand simply tells the rest of the world you're a chap who likes that kind of stuff :)
Indeed. It's the geek Rolex. And my younger son (who is 7, and its eventual keeper) loves the second hand. As, ahem, do I. It's a far nicer watch than the sub to look at, even compared to a non-date Sub (the best looking ones), and feels a bit less predictable.

To complete the set, I am still seriously contemplating the JLC ultra-thin as a 'grown-up Dad' watch. Or, perhaps, a vintage Seamaster (from the 60s). Much as I would love a PP, the only Calatravas I like are seriously expensive and just taking exuberant purchases to a new level (for me). All of the more (cough) 'sensibly' priced Calatravas don't particularly appeal to me. I guess I'm a platinum kinda guy :p

The lightning second hand on the Rolex Milgauss is cool. Some of the customized and limited edition Titan Blacks look excellent. You certainly wouldn't mistake them for a trad GMT or Sub.

Jack

I just ordered this square dial Fossil watch for wearing on bog-standard, casual clothing Sundays. Fwiw, I ordered via Watches2u as they're offering a 12% discount on their watches until midnight tonight with the code: BUNNY12

FS5329_main

I still plan on going into town tomorrow to see if I can see an Alpinist in the flesh and if it looks good, I might just plump for one ahead of an SARB033 or SARB065 - although I won't be buying in-store as the High Street price is double that of eBay and still more than if importing directly from Japan.

Anyone tried the Apple watches? I think they look amazing - from photos anyway, but apparently you need an i phone to run one.

I'm on my 3rd smart watch and despite always using an iPhone, I have never been tempted to buy an Apple Watch. In the flesh the aluminium ones are horrid and feel like cheap tat. The stainless steel ones feel better but they are fairly thick and damn expensive for what they do.

Simon

I popped into town this morning and saw the Seiko SARB017 'Alpinist' through the square window of Jamer Porter & Son (link) in The Argyll Arcade... and a few watches to its left, I saw the Seiko SARB035, another JDM Seiko (link).

The Alpinist was indeed £599 as already noted by Alan, but even if it was £300, I still wouldn't have bought it as it didn't speak to me as it were when I came face to face with it. The SARB035 - the white dial sister of the SARB033 - was priced at £499 and although I never bought it either, both Seikos looked like they were quality watches, and well proportioned too as there were some massive looking watches, by comparison, farther along the display shelf that looked, well, uncouthly if not uncomfortably massive.

I nearly bought a Seiko SARB033 and SARB065 'Cocktail Time' on Amazon JP this morning as their prices were quite keen, but alas Amazon wouldn't ship to my address here in the UK, so what I did instead was order a Seiko SARB033 from an eBay vendor in Ireland for £246 delivered, which I hope to have within a week or so; their delivery speeds seem to be slower than advertised according to the feedback received from their customers.

Although the default stainless steel bracelet might be more than adequate by any fashionable measure, having watched a few video reviews, which showed how well the watch works with alternatives, I'm inclined to think it's not necessarily the one for me and I may well swap it for a fabric or leather strap at some point in the future.

I've tried a leather strap on my SARB033 but soon swapped it back to the bracelet. Its easy to do and nice to have the choice. I think black face watches work best with a bracelet, while light coloured face watches (like that SARB035) better with leather.

I've tried a leather strap on my SARB033 but soon swapped it back to the bracelet. Its easy to do and nice to have the choice. I think black face watches work best with a bracelet, while light coloured face watches (like that SARB035) better with leather.

I'll certainly give the bracelet a try before even thinking about swapping it for something else; either way though, I think I'll be a happy chappy :)

Anyone tried the Apple watches? I think they look amazing - from photos anyway, but apparently you need an i phone to run one.
yea, Ive got a space grey 42mm sport my wife got me for Christmas a couple of years back. I wasn't really that interested in smart watches before but I have to say its been a permanent fixture on my wrist since.
Navigation on it is fantastic as is the music control. i chuck my phone in my bag, stick bluetooth cans on and control everything from my wrist. Really convenient. not hifidelity, but convenient.
Activity tracker and running apps seem to work fine for when I go for my inelegant stumble around town too.
build quality is great, not a scratch or dent anywhere despite daily use.
Downsides, like you said, mine is the 1st gen so is dependent on the phone being nearby, and the battery is down to single digit percentage at the end of the day. not for everyone then but having had a play around with other smart watches, it works for me.

Windhoek, also maybe consider a pre-loved omega for a classic timepiece. For the pennies your thinking about spending there are some very nice old timers out there.

yI wasn't really that interested in smart watches before but I have to say its been a permanent fixture on my wrist since.

I've been finding a smartwatch pretty useful - mine is a Garmin Vivoactive HR which is not pretty but is otherwise excellent. Suspect it'll only be a matter of time until I treat myself to a Fenix which has all the same functionality but is a lot better looking.

I wear an Omeda Seamaster everyday, have my deceased fathers Omega Speadmaster mk 2 being unworn. The Seamaster needs to be worn and used otherwise it stops !k

yea, Ive got a space grey 42mm sport my wife got me for Christmas a couple of years back. I wasn't really that interested in smart watches before but I have to say its been a permanent fixture on my wrist since.
Navigation on it is fantastic as is the music control. i chuck my phone in my bag, stick bluetooth cans on and control everything from my wrist. Really convenient. not hifidelity, but convenient.
Activity tracker and running apps seem to work fine for when I go for my inelegant stumble around town too.
build quality is great, not a scratch or dent anywhere despite daily use.
Downsides, like you said, mine is the 1st gen so is dependent on the phone being nearby, and the battery is down to single digit percentage at the end of the day. not for everyone then but having had a play around with other smart watches, it works for me.

I was interested purely because of the looks! But seems you need an I phone just to set it up.

Windhoek, also maybe consider a pre-loved omega for a classic timepiece. For the pennies your thinking about spending there are some very nice old timers out there.

A quick search on Ebay suggests you're right! I somehow imagined an Omega would cost close to £1k or more at the very least. I do like the look of the simple Seamaster however but buying used - and vintage at that - is a minefield - or sea of sea mines to be apter - as the few I looked at on Ebay price around a few hundred pounds were either sold as spares/ repairs or sold as seen, which didn't inspire confidence; at least, not in my ability to pick the dynamite from the dud :)

How unlucky am I ? A guy stopped me and asked the way to the airport, he had been at a conference and was going back to Switzerland. He had been given a few watches by his company but did not want to pay the tax upon landing back home. John Lewis were selling the man's watch he had for £500 and the ladies for £800, well it had real diamonds on it! He also had a wonderful large ceramic job worth £1500. He would have let me have all three for the £145 he owed Avis for the rental of his 4 year old Merc. A class. As I only had £20 on me he would let me have the first two watches for just that exact amount.
I told him that I would feel very bad about taking advantage of him in this way and he should try his luck at the airport as that's were all the people with money would be.

advertisement

Back