advertisement

The taste of table salt

All 'table salts' should taste the same as they should be pure sodium chloride with, usually, some sort of anti caking agent. Rock salts and sea salts will taste different as they contain impurities in varying quantities.
If you use sea salt from off the coast of the UK, I don’t want to think about what those ‘impurities’ might include. :eek:

I love a quick grind of that pink Himalayan salt on everything. Love the taste and like it ground coarse..
We get it from Costco.

F41-A1-A2-A-25-B2-434-A-A531-DB4565-C195-C8.jpg

Note the scarf which acted as a blindfold in the above experiment.

Much to my surprise @Euan is right, there is an absolutely clear difference between Morrisons cooking salt and Malden - and Malden is infinitely more refined and delicious. I was wrong to be sceptical.

Reminds me of my uni days.

50/50 mix of Maldon - Himalayan Pink.
only use the saxa stuff when we have to, and possibly on chips with vinegar when it makes no difference to the taste.

Table salt is a bland commodity. I only use sea salt and it all tastes different.

Some people put salt in their coffee - what a thread that would be :eek:

The proportion of sodium in salt (sodium chloride) is 110% fixed.

Add miscellaneous anything to salt and the sodium (and salt) content drops - it is called dilution.

Well, the folks at WebMD say…

Sodium levels in salt can vary. Himalayan pink salt contains less sodium per serving than ordinary table salt. Table salt contains 2360 milligrams of sodium per teaspoon, whereas a teaspoon of Himalayan pink salt contains 1680 milligrams of sodium — a reduction of about one-third.”

https://www.webmd.com/diet/himalayan-pink-salt-health-benefits#091e9c5e82091bfe-1-2

If it’s all down to impurity levels, that’s fine by me.

I’d ask Nancy Crater. She knows more about salt than the rest of the forum combined.

Joe

A fight in the salt thread. That’s something you don’t see every day.

Sorry if your salty post was deleted in the process, but desalination is tricky business.

Joe

A fight in the salt thread. That’s something you don’t see every day.

Sorry if your salty post was deleted in the process, but desalination is tricky business.

Joe
Missed it. Damn! I can’t believe people took it seriously enough to have a fight about. Isn’t there something about taking something with a pinch of something?

advertisement

Back