advertisement

The taste of table salt

Table salt is the granulated white salt seen in most saltshakers. Table salt is typically mined from underground deposits. It's processed to remove other minerals. Table salt is commonly fortified with iodine, which is important for thyroid health.

Sea salt is a general term for salt produced by evaporation of ocean water or water from saltwater lakes. It is less processed than table salt and retains trace minerals. These minerals add flavor and color...

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-...y-eating/expert-answers/sea-salt/faq-20058512

I doubt any refined table salt would have a different taste. Any difference in salt is because of other chemicals in it. All salt is originally sea salt after all..

Thought I read somewhere that, for equivalent levels of taste, that Himalayan salt was lower in sodium. Or maybe it was less could be used for an equivalent taste?

Bought some "lightly salted, low sodium" cashews recently that used Himalayan salt. Instead of fine salt powder everywhere, the nuts had only a few pink crystals attached. Tastes good to me.

The proportion of sodium in salt (sodium chloride) is 110% fixed.

Add miscellaneous anything to salt and the sodium (and salt) content drops - it is called dilution.

Wife likes the Maldon sea/kosher salt flakes, because of the texture.
I am less bothered.
We do have some Himalayan salt, which I reckon tastes very salty.
We also have some Icelandic black salt which we haven’t opened yet

F41-A1-A2-A-25-B2-434-A-A531-DB4565-C195-C8.jpg

Note the scarf which acted as a blindfold in the above experiment.

Much to my surprise @Euan is right, there is an absolutely clear difference between Morrisons cooking salt and Malden - and Malden is infinitely more refined and delicious. I was wrong to be sceptical.

Binging with Babish on the benefits of different types of salt : table, kosher and finishing:

F41-A1-A2-A-25-B2-434-A-A531-DB4565-C195-C8.jpg

Note the scarf which acted as a blindfold in the above experiment.

Much to my surprise @Euan is right, there is an absolutely clear difference between Morrisons cooking salt and Malden - and Malden is infinitely more refined and delicious. I was wrong to be sceptical.
interesting. The "boutique" salts I've seen are fleur de sel ( I think this is fairly pure NaCl) and Himalayan, which does have a slightly different taste. Bear in mind that crystal size will affect flavour impact.

All 'table salts' should taste the same as they should be pure sodium chloride with, usually, some sort of anti caking agent. Rock salts and sea salts will taste different as they contain impurities in varying quantities.

I have tried lots of different rock and sea salt and, rather boringly, Maldon does indeed savoury stuff up better than any other I've tasted.

advertisement

Back