advertisement

The taste of table salt

Of course if you talk to a chemist 52 salts is nothing. Although an astrophysicist would point out they are all actually metals.

As an Essex boy, it's always been Maldon. I used to spend a bit of time in the outlands when I was younger. The marsh girls were quite salty, as I recall, with a tang of the North Sea mudflats about them too.

Well, the folks at WebMD say…

Sodium levels in salt can vary. Himalayan pink salt contains less sodium per serving than ordinary table salt. Table salt contains 2360 milligrams of sodium per teaspoon, whereas a teaspoon of Himalayan pink salt contains 1680 milligrams of sodium — a reduction of about one-third.”

https://www.webmd.com/diet/himalayan-pink-salt-health-benefits#091e9c5e82091bfe-1-2

If it’s all down to impurity levels, that’s fine by me.
WebMD print more nonsense than the creationist museum! For the sodium figures above to be true Himalayan salt would have to be only 65% pure. The manufacturers say it's about 98% pure. So yes, it's lower in sodium, by about 2%. So 2360 becomes about 2300.

Seasalt flakes when cooking, I like the chefy vibes of sprinking it by hand ...

I have in my cupboard - kosher salt for general use, some Icelandic salt with lava ( black ) that looks good on a summer tomato salad AND thanks to two different Christmas presents.

Smoked Maldon salt and pink Himalaya salt. I have not tried each of these yet.

As an Essex boy, it's always been Maldon. I used to spend a bit of time in the outlands when I was younger. The marsh girls were quite salty, as I recall, with a tang of the North Sea mudflats about them too.

I expect they were saltmarsh lambs at heart.

Cornish salt, harvested a few miles from here. Flaked is the most versatile as you can sprinkle it as is or crumble it. Otherwise I just use Saxa….

Cornish salt, harvested a few miles from here. Flaked is the most versatile as you can sprinkle it as is or crumble it. Otherwise I just use Saxa….

advertisement

Back