1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The Tannoy story book reprinted. HiFi Hangar

Discussion in 'classic' started by mmckernie, Jul 5, 2019.

1. mmckernie

mmckernie pfm Member

Please contact HiFi Hangar direct for orders I am only letting everyone know it is available again I have no connection with HiFi Hangar. This is a quote from their Facebook page.
    " so this has been simmering for some time now...
    We have been in discussion with Michael, son of Guy R Fountain, founder of Tannoy, about the long awaited 3rd edition revision of the highly sought after book, 'The Tannoy Story' written by his friend Julian Alderton
    We now have the first 100 copies of the book here at the Hangar and will soon be offering it for sale as the sole agents (at present) at £24.95.
    We are very pleased to announce that Michael with be at the Hifi Hangar from 10am-2pm on Saturday 27th of July to sign the books and chat about his years at Tannoy.
    It will soon be available on eBay, Amazon with links from our website.
    This has become a classic book, with the first and 2nd pressings changing hands for up to £250.
    The new improved edition, includes edited content and new, unseen photos."

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    mr_phillip, jackbarron and ToTo Man like this.
  2. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Ooh yes please.

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’m in for a copy!

4. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Me too...

5. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

Can we pre-order?

6. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

Nice! I’m just down the road so will grab one too on the day.

7. canonman

canonman pfm Member

Hope it's better that the first issue....I was given a promo copy and gave it away:(

8. mmckernie

mmckernie pfm Member

9. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

What was wrong with the first issue?

10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Bought.

_webwasher likes this.
  11. canonman

canonman pfm Member

Boring, lack of decent pics, not enough about DC's ..... that's only from memory as it was many years ago. Clearly I was completely wrong if they are selling for £250:)

I have the KEF, McIntosh, Quad, Leak, British Studios and similar books, all superb.

Let's see what the new buyers think.

ToTo Man likes this.
  12. _webwasher

_webwasher pfm Member

please report your impressions when book delivered :)

13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Will do. May be a while until I get around to properly reading it though!

14. Cesare

Cesare pfm Member

Previous edition worth real money? That's weird, I think i've got a copy somewhere, although I may have sent it to a charity shop in a book clearout!

15. mr_phillip

mr_phillip pfm Member

Bought. Thanks for posting that!

16. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Mine turned up today. Looks decent, nicely printed etc, though as suggested upthread it does seem to skim over Tannoy’s hi-fi and studio legacy to a surprising extent focusing more on the early days of PA and installation equipment (e.g. House Of Commons, military etc). As an example just two short mentions of Lockwood in the index, and none for the Tannoy cartridge, Monitor Reds, Golds etc. The Dual Concentric speaker, which is after all what Tannoy are world famous for, is covered in a single short chapter. I’ll actually find it very interesting as it covers all the stuff I don’t know (I’ve researched the speakers and studio legacy to truly obsessive levels already!).

17. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

great , just ordered a copy , used to live near the factory and our local church not far from the factory had tannoy speakers instead of Bells

18. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

Ahem. So when are you going to write that up into a form others can read? :)

19. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Its all out there in the public domain, there are several really good Tannoy sites (e.g. www.44bx.com). For the studio legacy The Great British Recording Studios by Howard Massey is very good indeed and frequently mentions or pictures the monitors in the various studios it covers.

Weekender likes this.
  20. Chops54

Chops54 pfm Member

I've been to HiFi Hanger on several occasions when I visited my son and his family in Borden. The military was leaving last time I was there and my son moved on to Barnstaple. How is Borden now?