advertisement

The Tannoy story book reprinted. HiFi Hangar

mmckernie

pfm Member
Please contact HiFi Hangar direct for orders I am only letting everyone know it is available again I have no connection with HiFi Hangar. This is a quote from their Facebook page.
" so this has been simmering for some time now...
We have been in discussion with Michael, son of Guy R Fountain, founder of Tannoy, about the long awaited 3rd edition revision of the highly sought after book, 'The Tannoy Story' written by his friend Julian Alderton
We now have the first 100 copies of the book here at the Hangar and will soon be offering it for sale as the sole agents (at present) at £24.95.
We are very pleased to announce that Michael with be at the Hifi Hangar from 10am-2pm on Saturday 27th of July to sign the books and chat about his years at Tannoy.
It will soon be available on eBay, Amazon with links from our website.
This has become a classic book, with the first and 2nd pressings changing hands for up to £250.
The new improved edition, includes edited content and new, unseen photos."

Last edited:
What was wrong with the first issue?

Boring, lack of decent pics, not enough about DC's ..... that's only from memory as it was many years ago. Clearly I was completely wrong if they are selling for £250:)

I have the KEF, McIntosh, Quad, Leak, British Studios and similar books, all superb.

Let's see what the new buyers think.

Previous edition worth real money? That's weird, I think i've got a copy somewhere, although I may have sent it to a charity shop in a book clearout!

Mine turned up today. Looks decent, nicely printed etc, though as suggested upthread it does seem to skim over Tannoy’s hi-fi and studio legacy to a surprising extent focusing more on the early days of PA and installation equipment (e.g. House Of Commons, military etc). As an example just two short mentions of Lockwood in the index, and none for the Tannoy cartridge, Monitor Reds, Golds etc. The Dual Concentric speaker, which is after all what Tannoy are world famous for, is covered in a single short chapter. I’ll actually find it very interesting as it covers all the stuff I don’t know (I’ve researched the speakers and studio legacy to truly obsessive levels already!).

great , just ordered a copy , used to live near the factory and our local church not far from the factory had tannoy speakers instead of Bells

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Nice! I’m just down the road so will grab one too on the day.

I've been to HiFi Hanger on several occasions when I visited my son and his family in Borden. The military was leaving last time I was there and my son moved on to Barnstaple. How is Borden now?

advertisement

Back