advertisement

The sleep thread

Indeed, Walker says all sleeping pills are strong sedatives rather than sleeping pills per se as the sleep that ensues isn't natural sleep in the way we and science know it. A way of thinking about is that the crawl space beneath the house is where you end up when you take sleeping pills. You're definitely not awake in the room, as it were. But you're definitely not sleeping deep under the house either. You're in that in-between place where your functioning has been so sedated that you're in a sleep-like state of being, but asleep you ain't.

Just dropping in to say I say I probably got 8 hours of sleep last night - the first time that's happened in a long, long time. Admittedly, it came on the back of two nights where I only managed about 7 hours each night, maybe a smidge less. But even so, considering 6 hours of sleep was probably my norm for years, creeping back up into the 7's and hitting 8 last night feels like a miracle. I definitely feel fresh and raring to go today :)

I find that if I have a particularly deep sleep with vivid dreams (not so often these days compared with when I was younger) then I'm knackered and yawning all day, I thought it was supposed to be the other way around?
My experience of vivid (and often weird) dreams is that they are not usually associated with deep sleep at all, and usually represent very poor quality sleep. They most often happen, for me, when I'm too hot, either due to warm weather or, more usually, having a little too much to drink of an evening.

Many years ago, Mrs S P-T and I tried taking Ginseng to boost our energy levels. After a few days, we both reported weird dreams. I believe Ginseng works by raising the metabolic rate, which in turn raises body temperature. Since then, we're always referred to such experiences as 'Ginseng dreams'.

I thought if you remembered your dreams it meant your sleep had been disturbed during the dream sequence.

Reactions: Cav
I have a siesta (fuelled by alcohol usually) nearly every day from around 4.00pm to 7.00pm. Then go back to bed around 11.30pm-12.00am and at this time of year usually wake around 5.00am, then toss and turn for a bit before getting up around 6.00am.
As the nights get longer I tend to sleep longer.

Will watch the TED talk.
About 30 years ago my sleep patterns were rubbish.
Been working on improving since then and this will hopefully reinforce what I do.
Sleep is too important to get wrong

I've still not finished reading Why We Sleep by Mathew Walker but, for the benefit of anyone who wants or needs some tips on how to improve their sleep, based on what I've read so far, Walker's prescription for better sleep includes:

- going to bed at the same time as often as possible to help establish and maintain a circadian rhythm that works for you;
- sleep in cool conditions: 18 degrees Celcius or a wee bit cooler is ideal;
- avoid caffeine and alcohol as much as possible if not entirely;
- avoid exposure to strong light and/or strong screen light in the evening, ideally cutting it the latter off two or three hours before you go to bed.

I'll update the thread with more tips in due course.

Anyone tried melatonin?
It’s available over the counter in many countries, including Spain where it’s stocked in Lidl!
It’s interesting stuff.

Melatonin helps me sleep about 5 hrs. So, for me, it works. Otherwise it's 3-4 hrs topped up with a siesta.

Watched the TED talk.
Agree with what he says. Been doing most of it for many years.
What he doesn't mention is
Structure
Build a structure in life and many things including sleep become so much easier*
Can't do that ?
Think again about what you want from life

I go to bed around the same time and get up around the same time. Often waking before the alarm
I brought in other things to stop Migraines. No idea what stopped them as I threw so much at it. Structure for that too

*And become the most boring person you know
:)

Anyone tried melatonin?
It’s available over the counter in many countries, including Spain where it’s stocked in Lidl!
It’s interesting stuff.

Never, but happy to give it a try. Presumably, I would be able to order this online?

Never, but happy to give it a try. Presumably, I would be able to order this online?
I’m sure you could. It’s available in most of Europe.
It’s interesting stuff.
I’m sure it affects different people differently but it doesn’t appear to have hangover effects and it doesn’t appear to have any addictive properties from what I’ve read.

Almost time for me to go dark but I thought I'd share the latest tip from Walker: never hit the snooze button if you use an alarm clock to wake you up in the morning as doing so triggers your sympathetic nervous system into producing a fight or flight response. Although you might enjoy and need a bit more time asleep, the more you hit the snooze button the more you subject yourself to the stress of being rudely awakened. Either get up when the alarm first goes off or go back to sleep and deal with the consequences, otherwise, the cumulative effect of the stress generated by being rudely awakened will do more harm than good in the long run.

Interesting - and makes sense. He doesn't comment on the positive or negative effects on lazy b*ggers who get their 7.5-8.5 hours of sleep, and then go back for another hour(ish) after killing the alarm by any chance ? (I may know of one..:) )

Interesting - and makes sense. He doesn't comment on the positive or negative effects on lazy b*ggers who get their 7.5-8.5 hours of sleep, and then go back for another hour(ish) after killing the alarm by any chance ? (I may know of one..:) )

If you use an alarm that's gentle on the sympathetic nervous system, like birds twittering, rain falling, whales singing or whatever, it's probably okay to hit the snooze button. If it's a really annoying noise, such a person might want to go to bed a wee bit earlier so that they get their sleep without having to hit the snooze button. Bad news if such a person likes to stay up, but probably for the best :)

I woke up at 4am and thought that would be me... but thankfully, I managed to drop off again till just before 6 o'clock. I reckon that's another 7+ hour sleep :)

What I can say for sure about my sleeping pattern and needs, is that there's no way I'd ever want to work night shift - I'm just not cut out for it. I mean, I do sleepovers at work and although I usually sleep for between 6 and 7 hours, the quality of sleep is so bad it's probably the equivalent of a 4-5 hour sleep in my own bed. I did a sleepover Sunday into Monday and yesterday was a write-off as far doing anything productive goes. Once I got home, I simply flopped onto the couch and pretty much stayed there till bedtime. It's terrible, just terrible.

My sleep would be fine if I didn’t live in a world run by early risers.

I’m a natural night owl and am generally fine on 7 hours. But, because it’s not the done thing to roll up to a 9-5 (well 8-6) job at midday, I’m permanent shattered. Even 8 hours feels insufficient most of the time.

I’ve heard it described as social jet lag. It certainly feels like it. Given I have wider health issues, I can’t see this being long term sustainable....

Watched the Ted talk there. For all of my childhood I suffered from an early rising father who felt that anybody who slept later than he did was 'Overslept' in his words. For my whole adult life it's probably fair to say that I've had feelings of guilt about sleeping 'late' - and that lying in bed after 7:00* is lazy/slothful w.h.y. irrespective of whatever time you went to bed. Good to know that's perhaps not the case at all :)

(*Does remind me btw of the quip by Jules Holland on his show that in a recent survey, over 95% of the musicians who responded were completely unaware that there were actually two 7 o'clocks each day..)

If I thought about it as a 30 year unsolved problemI doubt I'd ever sleep. :eek::eek:

Will watch the TED talk.
About 30 years ago my sleep patterns were rubbish.
Been working on improving since then and this will hopefully reinforce what I do.
Sleep is too important to get wrong

advertisement

Back