advertisement

The sleep thread

This makes me wonder whether sleep is considered as a strategic asset in F1 seeing as we know how poorly functioning people become due to a lack of sleep and how important strategy is in F1. If you can't say that's cool, but it's interesting that Walker notes how Google among other companies has paid heed to the need for sleep and presumably reaped the benefits accordingly.

Yes I am convinced that it is important in F1. Teh race strategists only have the information to really plan the race after qualifying. This often means a lot of simulations and analysis and then decision making late into the night. Not the best time to make the decisions, nor is it the best way to get a good night's sleep for the big decisions the next day.

Really concerning is the training of junior doctors, which he does outline in his book as being bad for the patient and bad for the doctor (based on research not opinioneering), when they are effectively on call for 24 hours or more, whilst in a hospital.

This makes me wonder whether sleep is considered as a strategic asset in F1 seeing as we know how poorly functioning people become due to a lack of sleep and how important strategy is in F1. If you can't say that's cool, but it's interesting that Walker notes how Google among other companies has paid heed to the need for sleep and presumably reaped the benefits accordingly.

I bet Team Ineos (previously Sky) have it in their detailed package.

I bet Team Ineos (previously Sky) have it in their detailed package.

Oh yeah, Brailsford is big on marginal gains and although it's a team sport with whole support crews, you can be sure the riders sleep on well-defined schedule. Great example Mike :)

All or most of this was available years ago.
Nicely added together for the book
Trust me I'm a Doctor did a test on 6 - 7 hours a year or two ago.
Proved conclusively enough for me

I cycled over to Decathlon this morning and bought myself a pair of these yellow sunglasses to help filter out wakeful screen light in the evening and also for a few other reasons, such as when I'm cycling in the rain to avoid road-splash on my eyes. The yellow colour really washes out the blue hue from my laptop and also the ambient light as well - something that's helped considerably by the wrap-around lenses as my peripheral vision is yellow-tinted when I'm wearing the sunglasses. And considering they're only four quid, I'll probably go back and buy a couple of spares as I can see myself using these from here on out :)

big_1251807.jpg

^ I have an app called Flux on the Mac that cuts the screen brightness progressively towards a pre-set 'bedtime' in the evening to do something similar.

Also acts as a gentle reminder that if you can hardly read the screen, then it's time for the pit.

^ I have an app called Flux on the Mac that cuts the screen brightness progressively towards a pre-set 'bedtime' in the evening to do something similar.

Also acts as a gentle reminder that if you can hardly read the screen, then it's time for the pit.

Yeah, I use flux as well on my mac and it's great

Blimey. Do you sleep without covers? 22 is warm for me, I end up hanging a leg out of the bed to cool down.

Mind you, sleeping cool reminds me of a lad I used to work with. He got himself a place, it was unfurninshed. Slung a mattress on a couple of pallets, good enough. Duvet? Sod that, not at that price when I can spend the difference on ale. I'll just get a sheet. In his own words, "I am Mickey Rourke". Off he went to bed and woke up as soon as the beer had worn off, freezing to death. Spent the night shivering under his coat and anything else he could find.

Back OT, sleep has been known about for years by all the sports authorities. I know that pro footballers are told to spend significant time "resting". This means sitting down. It does not mean going to the pub, the betting shop or playing a round of golf. It means sitting or lying down. It's one reason why they all have big TVs and home entertainment systems, as they aren't the sort to be entertained by a paperback.

no!
I've been in Majorca for the last week or two and the air con is set at 23c through the night.
22c is bearable; anything lower and I'm too cold.

"Room temperature" is 72F (22.2222C).

In my old office, it started to feel "stuffy" if I allowed it to get above 71F. At the present office it feels slightly chilly at 73F. Go figure...

Air con uses loads of rather expensive electricity and our guests often think that setting their rooms at 18c will be a good idea.
They end up freezing their tits off, whilst my 22c or 23c is perfect.
Perhaps it’s the fact that’s it’s very low humidity cool air generated which makes it feels so cold at 18c, yet so comfy at 22c or 23c.

I cycled over to Decathlon this morning and bought myself a pair of these yellow sunglasses to help filter out wakeful screen light in the evening and also for a few other reasons, such as when I'm cycling in the rain to avoid road-splash on my eyes. The yellow colour really washes out the blue hue from my laptop and also the ambient light as well - something that's helped considerably by the wrap-around lenses as my peripheral vision is yellow-tinted when I'm wearing the sunglasses. And considering they're only four quid, I'll probably go back and buy a couple of spares as I can see myself using these from here on out :)

big_1251807.jpg

Been thinking about some glasses for the bike
I might be able to stretch to 4 quid
:)
Could try them evenings as well

Looking at Decathlon online for bike clothing
Those prices are very good.
Anyone know the quality ?

Decathlon gear is good. I have lots of it. There is a Decathlon in every town in France and everyone gets all their sports gear in it. If you want Rapha badges then look elsewhere but for standard kit Decathlon is great.

Thanks Steve
I can go slightly off my normal route and nip into Staines for a looksee.
Do you expect there to be bike parking in or near ?

Alcohol's really bad news for lots of things besides trying to get a good night's sleep. It's scary how much it dominates folks' lives.
I'm either lucky or stupid but all my life I'm out like a light within 1-2 mins of the head hitting the pillow regardless of a few beers or not. Sometimes my head doesn't feel fantastic 8 hours later mind however my sleep is generally uninterrupted.

advertisement

Back