advertisement

The runners' thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
344 of us enjoyed the inaugural Lochore Meadows Parkrun today. Satisfied with my 23:42 time for 76th place. My friend was 18th with 19:55. A beautiful but warm day, and a bit congested as everyone clearly wanted to be there for the first run!

Derek I'm also planning a half in October - Oxford. My son (23) talked me into it and he knows age is in his favour.

Recently though - I've not run since a week last Tuesday (my 10k virtual pfm 'race'). Since then I've had a bad cold and been pretty busy with other things - luckily mostly involving physical activity looking after a big house, two golden retrievers and a big garden in our funny second 'career'. Amazing how many steps my garmin records per day - eg today 17,000 just pottering around the place, walking the dogs, and working in the garden. The streamer and mower here would qualify in the Manly thread. Maybe tomorrow finally I will grab an hour and get our around some of the wonderful quiet roads around here in Basse Normany France.

robs and JTC - fantastic Parkruns.

robs - what type of Parkrun? If you can find a reasonably flat 5km on road this would be quicker than the typical grassy / muddy parkrun and often less congested too. Our club runs a fabulous regular 5k race throughout the summer on flat tarmac and it is fast!

Parkrun was glorious - sunny, warm, and a new PB here I think.
As busy as I've seen it - 480 runners!

I came 12th in 20:22.

Absolutely chuffed to bits!
Catching up guys...Robs, that's absolutely brilliant running, well done...sorry I have been out the loop for a short while, busy at work and playing in the sun when I get home with the little one...remember the dark, cold, snowy days we had not so long ago...this is just glorious :)

robs - what type of Parkrun?

Hi Ian, it's three laps of a park in Horsham, probably 60-70% on path, and reasonably flat. The grass bits are dry now, so pretty good surface really.

I was toying with the idea of 'touristing' down to Worthing - I think the route there is along the seafront so probably flat and straight.

Manchester half today. Great event as the half/10k always is. The heat crucified me though. Fine for the first 11km and then it fell apart. As I'm not used to heat (it's the North!) I wonder if I'm simply not aware of hydration/fuel needs and strategy that would have worked better.

Rob

Manchester half today. Great event as the half/10k always is. The heat crucified me though. Fine for the first 11km and then it fell apart. As I'm not used to heat (it's the North!) I wonder if I'm simply not aware of hydration/fuel needs and strategy that would have worked better.

Rob

Welcome to the thread Rob and well done for running the half in what looked like tough conditions. As an almost allergic to sunshine-Scotsman, I find running in hot conditions tough myself - give me cold, cool or cold conditions any day of the week!

As for hydration strategies, the one I went with when I ran a marathon in April was to increase my fluid-intake in the days leading up to the race so that I didn't have to drink loads of water on race day as my body would already be well hydrated - I think I only drank about 500ml during the actual race. I also took electrolyte tablets the day before as well as on the day of the race just to help out on the front too.

How's your body doing today? Walking like a zombie???

Finally I felt like running again after 10 days having a cold, just making it onto the bottom rung of the PFM Strava leaderboard for the week. Four miles around a hilly route on deserted roads through woods, farmland and the odd cottage. I try to run almost wherever I'm travelling and this place, in L'Orne, Normandy, feels like paradise.

I remember going for a jog in Namibia's Waterberg Plateau National Park back in '97 when I was a relative twenty-four-year-old whippersnapper and from a scenic point of view, it was the best thirty-minute run of my life. It was probably the slowest and hottest as well and afterward, having not hydrated myself enough beforehand, it was probably the worst run of my life as I was a wee bit delirious! Seriously though, an amazing experience in an amazing part of an amazing country.

I just had a look at some images and things look much more touristy nowadays: chalets, restaurant, and room service lol

Feeling the weekend today. Followed Parkrun with a sixty minute five miler yesterday (the most miles I’ve ever done in a weekend). Training plan this week says:

Four sets of threshold for 6 minutes with a two minute jog recovery

Thirty minute run, 10 minute easy, 10 minute moderate and 10 minute threshold

30 minute run (cross train) with the last 15 minute harder than the first (I’ve been doing Parkrun for this for the last few weeks)

50/60 minute easy run

Will see how I feel tomorrow, but that first task feels unlikely as of now. Is it ok to just substitute a gentle run instead? Knowing me though I’ll just go for it anyway
!!

Hi Ian, it's three laps of a park in Horsham, probably 60-70% on path, and reasonably flat. The grass bits are dry now, so pretty good surface really.

I was toying with the idea of 'touristing' down to Worthing - I think the route there is along the seafront so probably flat and straight.

You're in Horsham !? I'll be there in August to visit family and hope to take in a Park Run - I'll pm you nearer the time - perhaps a PFM team could take on Horsham parkrun.

Feeling the weekend today. Followed Parkrun with a sixty minute five miler yesterday (the most miles I’ve ever done in a weekend). Training plan this week says:

Four sets of threshold for 6 minutes with a two minute jog recovery

Thirty minute run, 10 minute easy, 10 minute moderate and 10 minute threshold

30 minute run (cross train) with the last 15 minute harder than the first (I’ve been doing Parkrun for this for the last few weeks)

50/60 minute easy run

Will see how I feel tomorrow, but that first task feels unlikely as of now. Is it ok to just substitute a gentle run instead? Knowing me though I’ll just go for it anyway
!!

That's a tough schedule and certainly anything tougher than I faced in my marathon training plan! What's your goal again? The Marathon des Sables???

You're in Horsham !? I'll be there in August to visit family and hope to take in a Park Run - I'll pm you nearer the time - perhaps a PFM team could take on Horsham parkrun.

Yes, that's my local! Sounds like a vaguely formed and fun plan - wonder if anyone else could make that too?!

That's a tough schedule and certainly anything tougher than I faced in my marathon training plan! What's your goal again? The Marathon des Sables???

Ha, I’m just trying to get round my first 10k in July. It’s coming to the end of it to be fair, this is the 9th week, there’s one more biggy then quite a taper. It’s a beginner plan I got from runningbug, it’s got me properly on my feet doing it, I’d meddled around at the gym starting beginner 5k plans. Remember I’m very slow as well. My threshold is now about 6mph, sensible jog is 5!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back