advertisement

The runners' thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
I've taken up jogging again as my main exercise and thought I'd start a thread about it so we can share the joys (and pains) of running with each other.

I'm now up to 30 minutes three or four times a week, but I reckon I'll need to sort out hydration on the go as it were if I'm to run for any longer. What hydration method do you use? Feel free to recommend particular products.

Fwiw, I love using my Casio F-91W for time keeping :cool:

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
great stuff...I run from time to time - and usually of a friday night (after I train legs) and sometimes run 3.5 minutes - uphill in 45 minutes or so... but have managed sub 30 minutes on a treadmill for 5km... not bad for a 47 year old :)

You don't need to carry water for runs of less than an hour in the UK climate. Have a drink 20 mins before, rehydrate afterwards, you'll be fine. I do this for runs of up to 90 min.

You don't need to carry water for runs of less than an hour in the UK climate. Have a drink 20 mins before, rehydrate afterwards, you'll be fine. I do this for runs of up to 90 min.

That depends on a lot! On a day like today (30C) I'd imagine most would benefit from keeping hydrated.

90 minutes without water? That seems like a long time to run without hydrating yourself. Maybe fitness plays a part, but I don't think I could run that long without water myself - I can't run that long with or without water just now anyway as I let myself go a bit there, but I digress. I'm sure 30 minutes without water is fine for me as I usually feel fine after drinking plenty when I get back followed by a freshening shower. I'm inclined to pick up one of those bottles though and see how I get on with it. I've only been running again for three weeks so it's still early days for me and middle-aged body.

Yep, once you get used to it it's not a problem. On a 10k fun run I don't bother with water, even if it's hot, a half marathon, yes!. The only time I took water with a run was when I am on hols somewhere sunny and hot like Greece.

That depends on a lot! On a day like today (30C) I'd imagine most would benefit from keeping hydrated.
There are precious few 30C days in the UK, and even fewer when you will choose to run for an hour plus in such temperatures. I've lived in France, you learn to do your stuff early and late. Sure, sometimes I take a drink if I'm in the hills for hours, but it's only necessary on longer trips, like I said an hour plus. You can always throw a few bits in a bum bag if you need to, a windproof and a couple of cereal bars are often handy if the weather's changeable. YMMV, take a drink if you wish, but it's not the necessity that some people seem to imagine.

I just watched this video and now know why I felt like an 88-year old man this morning - heel strike!

Last edited by a moderator:
Was out at 6am this morning, just 5 miles or so. Love it. Just hope I can keep doing it as I get older (now 51). Knees are starting to be felt - no pain or anything serious..just telling me they are there...but probably not a good sign.
Have done a few marathons in the past, and several half marathons - next one in September. Don't take it too seriously, go out two or three times a week in summer, probably once in winter TBH. I never carry water, shouldn't need to unless going out for maybe 1.5 hrs or more.

I have mentioned on other threads but took up treadmill jogging about a year ago after 50 years of not even being able to run a bath.

I used a variant of the couch to 5k method of running for 60 seconds, walking for 90 seconds and so on, gradually increasing the running and decreasing the walking until you can run for 30 mins non stop. This took me from around May to December to reach this milestone upon when I started to attend the local park run every Saturday morning.

Last week I ran my 26th park-run, a couple of months ago ran my first 10k and have just signed up for the 10k Adidas city run in Shoreditch in October.

I usually run two other times in the week either in the gym or on local roads and towpaths etc. I also run when I am away as it is a great way to explore local areas. Normally try to do a faster 5k style run for one of them and a slower 8k to 10k for the other.

I never carry water, just drink lots before but not just before the run and loads afterwards. There was a water station on the 10k I did and I did use it but really just wetted my throat, was not really a proper drink.

I've taken up jogging again as my main exercise and thought I'd start a thread about it so we can share the joys (and pains) of running with each other.

I'm now up to 30 minutes three or four times a week, but I reckon I'll need to sort out hydration on the go as it were if I'm to run for any longer. What hydration method do you use? Feel free to recommend particular products.

Fwiw, I love using my Casio F-91W for time keeping :cool:
You do know running will f**k your knees up in later life;)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
You do know running will f**k your knees up in later life;)

As the video above suggests, a poor running technique will indeed f**k up my knees. I hope to improve my technique however so they last the distance (I mean my life distance but hopefully they'll last the running distance as well).

Off to do a Parkrun this morning. Started running about twelve months ago, when I really felt I had to do something about my levels of fitness. Lost about two stone, three more to go. Hoping to break 35 mins this morning. Do most of my training on a treadmill, it's easier on my knees being a bit of a porker. I have one of those bottles, I find I get a really dry mouth and it affects me quite badly.

I have mentioned on other threads but took up treadmill jogging about a year ago after 50 years of not even being able to run a bath.

I used a variant of the couch to 5k method of running for 60 seconds, walking for 90 seconds and so on, gradually increasing the running and decreasing the walking until you can run for 30 mins non stop. This took me from around May to December to reach this milestone upon when I started to attend the local park run every Saturday morning.

Last week I ran my 26th park-run, a couple of months ago ran my first 10k and have just signed up for the 10k Adidas city run in Shoreditch in October.

I usually run two other times in the week either in the gym or on local roads and towpaths etc. I also run when I am away as it is a great way to explore local areas. Normally try to do a faster 5k style run for one of them and a slower 8k to 10k for the other.

I never carry water, just drink lots before but not just before the run and loads afterwards. There was a water station on the 10k I did and I did use it but really just wetted my throat, was not really a proper drink.

I also used Couch to 5K to get me into running a couple of years back. I've switched back to cycling more now, however still usually run once or twice a week. I've done a few races including my first half marathon recently, and did the JP Morgan challenge run in Battersea a couple of days back. That was good fun but very hot.

Off to do a Parkrun this morning. Started running about twelve months ago, when I really felt I had to do something about my levels of fitness. Lost about two stone, three more to go. Hoping to break 35 mins this morning. Do most of my training on a treadmill, it's easier on my knees being a bit of a porker. I have one of those bottles, I find I get a really dry mouth and it affects me quite badly.

Good luck! I've not got around to doing a parkrun yet but there is a new one that's pretty close to home which I've been meaning to do.

I was at about 35 minutes for 5K when I finished Couch to 5K and it doesn't take long for the times to improve if you keep at it. It was actually pretty good fun in those days because I was improving my time pretty much on a weekly basis, where as these days it's a much rarer occurrence for me to improve my PB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back