advertisement

The runners' thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wow, I am totally shocked. I am genuinely lost for words Ian...

Can you donate the £20 to JTCs charity?

Can I say guys that not being able to run for so long feels like a darkness that devours your heart and soul, on Sunday I could see and feel the sun and breath the air once again, I was lost in the runners-zone, as you guys know this is our special place, to be there again has been one of the most special moments in my life (obviously my wife and daughter are more important!)...sorry to put it so romantically but I sat here for 15mins thinking of what to say but that's the only way I can try to describe it...
You guys are amazing, all I can add is never let serious injury stop you believing because one day you will be free once again. Btw, I haven't run today as my legs still feel wobbly and the knee is aching a little bit...but hey...hold on, I thought I was lost for words... :)...sorry!

Headed out for another slow 5K tonight. I'm finding lots of route options in Roding Valley Nature Reserve which is about 1Km away from the house, so quite pleased with the new location as I hadn't originally though it'd be as good for running as where I was before but in fact it seems to be a fair bit better.

Big Up to Ian for following through on the £20 negative split challenge and well done to Adam for getting it done... for showing us how it's done! :D

I had a long day at work yesterday and was in a slightly stroppy mood that didn't completely lift by the time I went to bed. The upshot of which is that when I woke up this morning I was still a wee bit grumpy and just not quite myself and the upshot of that is is that when I went out for a run this morning I ran faster than planned as a sort of self-flagellation - what's that all about!?

I've only experienced that frame of mindset during a run a few times at the most since I started running last year, but it's a frame of mind I hope doesn't come back. It's just not fun. Have any of you guys ever ended up running hard as a sort of punishment to yourself?

I should add I feel much better now and ready to face whatever lies ahead :)

Have any of you guys ever ended up running hard as a sort of punishment to yourself
Not as such, but I've gone for a run when angry or frustrated at something and found that, like you, I run a bit faster/harder. I think it's natural tbh...

I'm sure you're right John. I was a bit irritable yesterday and I guess running hard is the easy, natural way of blowing off steam for a runner.

After a few days of extremely sore toes, I had a poke at one with my nail clippers, and out oozed some pus. Lovely! But it’s feeling much better now. This ends your disgusting runners’ feet story of the day.

In other news, I managed a negative split 10K last night, although only because I didn’t have the disclipline to stay at the easy pace I’d planned. And tomorrow I am hoping to try out a brand new Parkrun on its inaugural run - they’re expecting upwards of 300 runners, should be fun, and maybe a bit chaotic too... :)

What are you all up to this coming weekend?

My first official out of uk Parkrun in Florida hopefully if I get up in time. It runs at 7.30 and is 2hrs from where I am staying but I really fancy doing it.

Reactions: JTC
I plan on running my first double-digit-mile run since the marathon. I think the route's only 10 miles anyway, but I'm looking forward to spending some time on the road all the same as I've been running short distances over the last couple of weeks and I feel ready to step up the distance.

My first official out of uk Parkrun in Florida hopefully if I get up in time. It runs at 7.30 and is 2hrs from where I am staying but I really fancy doing it.

If you let me know when you're next in Boston on a Saturday I'll try to meet you for the Jamaica Plain parkrun. If you make it to the Florida parkrun watch out for the fauna - lots of stuff to get you down there.

Another Florida top tip from a friend whose elderly parents retired to Florida - never walk behind an idling parked car. Perhaps a majority of the state's residents can't turn their heads to see out of the rear window so when they reverse out of the parking spot you'd better not be there.

Have any of you guys ever ended up running hard as a sort of punishment to yourself?
I should add I feel much better now and ready to face whatever lies ahead :)

I don't exercise to punish myself but I firmly believe that without strenuous exercise I would require anti-anxiety / depression medication. Endorphins are wonderful things. My teenage daughter is discovering the same thing.

10 miles this morning and although it went well, I'm now tired-happy... must get out before I slink back to bed lol

I'd like to do the Glasgow half-marathon in October in 1 hour 45 minutes so I've got my work cut out as today's pace was 8.41 per mile and I need to get that down to 8 minutes per mile and hold it for 13.1 miles. The distance will be fine so it's all about getting my speed up to speed as it were.

Good luck with the park runs - it's certainly a cracking day for it :)

Too hot for me. Don’t think I’ve beaten last weeks time. Will wait for the text in a bit. JTC I’ve no idea how you did a marathon in the heat.

Yes, that's what I thought when I saw it! Am over the moon!:p:p:p

Didn't realize that at the time - knew I was somewhere towards the front, but it's three laps around the park, so started overtaking people on second lap, and dodging through quite heavy traffic on the third lap, so couldn't gauge it at all - other than I was running quite fast (for me!). No hammy pain either(yippee!) ...just a bit of a hangover after last night!
Maybe I need to drink more ;)

Starting to wonder if I did a little more focused training and preparation if I could break 20 minutes...I need a target!

Next race I've entered is a local half marathon in September...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back