advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

Interesting run on Sunday, decided I’d go for a more scenic one, so set off down the canal towpath. At about 6km it started chucking down. Not impressed with this summer at all. Then at 9km the real fun started. I had a full blown stomach cramps episode, and bloody hell, I’m not on one of my usual loops so no escape route, no friendly pubs or supermarkets, and I’m nearly 10km from home...

Walked a bit, turned round and ran for home, but had to stop a couple of times to tell my bowels to get a grip. Kept at it but the last km was a nightmare. Was very glad to reach the great white throne. Never had runners belly before, and hope it’s not going to become a regular occurrence! I’m blaming it on an overindulgence of alcohol and kleftico on Saturday.

That race looks fun John

Yet another trip back over the hills ; not as far as last week, only 9.5 miles, but more height gain, 1600ft, in 92 minutes. Felt reasonably comfortable. Wore my newish trail shoes, which are comfortable, although the surfaces were mostly solid, so road hoes would have worked too. They have one drawback - the blue dye isn't fast, and socks and feet end up stained!

First run out this week at Parkrun this morning. Fastest of the year so far, so was very happy.

Tried a different one to my normal - Littlehampton. Straight and flat along the seafront, and quite pleasant - hence quite fast also. It's a newish venue, only the 11th event today, so far fewer people than my normal Horsham, which made for a little more space also.

Went a couple of weeks ago also, and it was blowing a gale - I was getting blown away by the wind, so almost reduced to walking pace on the return leg!

Did my least favourite Parkrun out of necessity, it's one with an almost relentless uphill. Just one short downhill that's too steep to really enjoy. Still fun to do and three and a half minutes faster than the last time I went there at Christmas. Then a 40km bike ride with Tony L of this parish. Looking forward to some pizza and wine. Knackered.

Week 5 run 2 of C25K last night: 2 x 8mind at glacial pace. Still we got through it - I said to the Mrs "it's good running with you as it makes it look like I am running at your pace". She then left me for dead on the second rep!

Hey folks, I've kept plugging away at the old blog, but in the meantime re-hosted it on its own domain, so if anyone fancies reading my race reports (most of which involve cramp and disappointment, but not all...;-) then I'd be honoured if you popped over. I've added write-ups for my last three or four races, with another in draft, and I run a trail race on Sunday so might get the BWV out and do another first-person video for the write-up also...

Here's the link: https://runladdierun.com

Anyway, I'm on a half-day, so in about an hour I hope to do a gentle 13-miler to keep the weekly mileage up :)

Still doing it . I think I’ve trained most every day since new year with no where near enough rest days. It’s easier to do than not . That’s running and weights , or just running. Legs a little tired so giving it a rest for a couple of days .

Perta who works just round the corner from me has just run 577 miles in 10 days!https://www.runandbecome.com/running-training-advice/is-she-superhuman Ultra running isn't my thing but I saw the BBC run an article about the Sri Chinmoy 3,100 mile race. 5,649 times round the block In Queens NYC! https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/48702452 You can sign up to take a pledge to run either 3,100 miles over two years or 3100 seconds over 10 days. Well I'm 3 days into running 51 minutes a day. I'm quite enjoying it. https://3100film.com ( for the pledge )

JTC, I read some of your blog entries - excellent! I think you were very hard on yourself at CTS Northumberland - trail is significantly slower than road, and you had set your expectations for road type speed - actually you did really well on what sounds like a very hard course.

Reactions: JTC
Thanks! Here's the result of yesterday's video-shoot/race combo thingy:

https://youtu.be/sG13cPDeloQ

What I've learned is that it's bloody hard work running harder/faster to ensure you're in the right place to create an interesting running video. It's not obvious from the footage, but a lot of the time I had to more or less sprint to get into position so that I could get good footage of the runners passing. I was 5-minutes or so slower this year than last year, but I reckon for the running part I probably ran a quicker race - the rest was faffing! And, not on the video, at one point the elastic in my shorts came undone and I started to go a bit 'builder's bum' (and so had no choice but to stop and correct before I ended up going 'full moon'.... :) )

I ran a 5k on July 4th. 27C and humid is not really ideal conditions and I was beaten by my friend / running partner by 10 seconds, but 20:35 was an OK time I think. It's been a while since I went under 20 - must try to do that in one of the cooler races in October/November. Bike time trial on Wednesday this week and then training for a short triathlon on August 11th when it will probably be fearsomely hot again :(

I have a problem with dehydration and headaches competing on hot days - even a 5k can lead to evening headaches. I recently started using these fellas

http://saltstick.com/product/saltstick-caps/

and I have to say I'm a convert. I never really liked the hydration drinks - they are a little too sweet and turn my stomach, but the salt sticks you just swallow with water. I used them for the olympic distance tri in June (3 hours of intense exercise in the heat) and again on July 4th after the race and it may be placebo effect but I felt pretty good afterward.

Great stuff Lordy!

Went out for a gentle trot this morning, have been slacking. Legs felt like lead, but feel better for it now.

My legs nearly always feel like lead :D

It’s hard work doing the half marathon training, does it ever get easier like 10k seems now? I remember that being a mountain last year. I also get frustrated with the amount of slow runs my plan has. Sometimes I just ignore it and go for a shorter faster one because it seems like I’m losing speed. I’m a naughty boy I guess

Got my first sub 1 hour 10k yesterday. 58:43. Exactly a year after my first 10k where it took me 1h 20 nearly. Very happy.

Well done, I never quite made it sub one but got distracted with longer distances instead.

My own running is pitiful currently, managed to get our today for the first time in ages and it was awful, must try harder.

Great stuff!!!! Breaking the hour (or whatever target you have) is always great!

Not been doing much of interest but did do a short film of a trail run I did with a local running group:

The route did a lot more than that but that’s the best bit

advertisement

Back