advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

Was in Portsmouth a week ago for work, did a couple of runs along water front and through parks to Southsea. Did longer run on hills (11.5 miles) last Saturday, and slowish 10K on the Sunday. Came down with horrible cold, so haven't run since and I am grumpy about it. Beware the ill or injured runner. If I feel a bit better tomorrow, will shuffle slowly for 15 minutes.

Just passed 1000 miles run so far in 2019; as it happens, today is also the 200th of 2019, which means a rather satisfying average of exactly five miles per day this year so far! Not a particularly huge amount of running by some standards, but I’m pleased to be running (relatively) injury free

Followed my norovirus up with a cold so last night was first "run" in two weeks. Kept casting nervous glances at my shadow. Jeez.

Last edited:
Finally set a PB at my local Parkrun for the first time in over a year. Nothing spectacular, but I'm happy to at least finally see some improvement for the miles I'm putting in. Today I passed 1100 miles, so that's working out at approximately 50 miles per week, which is about as much as I can sustain without it starting to affect work and family life too much. Also, going higher than 50mpw for more than a couple of weeks on the bounce is a recipe for injury where I'm concerned. I'm well ahead of my 2019 goal of 2500km (1550 miles); luck permitting, I might make it to 3000km based upon my current training.

How's everyone else's running going?

Hottest July ever in Boston which has made outside exercise difficult, but some early morning bike rides, swims in ponds and treadmill runs have hopefully kept me in shape for a sprint triathlon next Sunday. It’s a week out but the forecast is saying it won’t be too hot - fingers crossed on that. Proper running can resume in September when the nights and mornings get cool.

That’s the current figure, but the average over the year is about 35mpw - or 5 miles per day. However, my mileage was lower back in Jan/Feb. I do find myself needing more sleep as a result!

Finally made it to the week 8 runs of the Couch to 5K app. 28mins of steady crawling. No phlegm. Felt good.

Phlegm aplenty here, mostly thick snot...

Forced to take 9 days off, but have managed two slow runs this week so far, one of 5k and a 14.5k one today. Times are slow, but at least I’m getting back on my feet. I’m still suffering sinusitis, but it stops feeling like my teeth will fall out after about 2km. Hoping the next run is a little easier.

Congrats though Weekender! Great work. 28mims is a really good time.

I'm visiting the UK in just over a week, and now this thread has me wondering if I need shots or to bring a mask :)

Sunday's triathlon combined a rather mediocre 1/2 mile swim (19 minutes in rather murky water - relieved I don't have the trots after the few mouthfuls I swallowed) with a pretty respectable bike leg 12.5 miles @ 21mph, and a great run leg (4.4 miles in 31:22). If only my swim had been better it would have been a good overall result - I think I know why my swim was slow, but since conditions were the same for everyone I don't really have any excuses. I guess I need to spend some more time in the pool.

Slowly coming back after my enforced break.

Two midweek runs of 30+ mins, and I did my local 10K loop in 48:16 in fairly windy conditions. I thought I was going really well on the way out - you never feel a tail wind! This was all repaid, with interest, on the way home. Still, back to roughly where I was, say three months ago. Assuming nothing drops off overnight, will do a longer run tomorrow, try for 80 to 90 minutes.

advertisement

Back