advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

Good luck tomorrow JTC (not that you need it!). Looks like the weather will be perfect - 10C and no wind, cloudy.
Hope you get that properly good race!
We'll be thinking of you and willing you on for that fast one!

First Parkrun for a while this morning. Felt great at the startline and the mind was willing, but by the 2nd mile the body was telling me otherwise. Mainly couldn't get enough air in - caught a bit of a cold last weekend, which is almost cleared up, but still a little sniffy...that's my excuse anyway.
Anyway, happy with the time, some way to get back near a PB though..
So training needed. Real training. For which I need a goal. So have entered a 10k in early June, and a half in September...that'll get me going again hopefully.

Any one tried Lands End to John O'Groath's? No, I've not confused this with the 'Cycling Log random events in the day of a cyclist' thread.
https://www.jamesrunsfar.com/lejog-2019
"On 25th May 2019, I’ll start an attempt to break a world record for running from the bottom of the UK to the top – Land’s End to John o’ Groats (LEJOG).
This means I will need to run around 100 miles a day.
- Distance: Nearly 850 miles
- Time: Less than 9 days, 2 hours, 26 minutes
- Running: Around 100 miles/18 hours per day
- Sleep: 4 hours per night"

Wow! That's Ultra Ultra!

4 hrs sleep per night for 9 days. I'd be dead.......and that's without the running.

Parkrun in the morning is enough for me....assuming I can drag myself out of bed.

JTC - well done on the Windermere! I stalked you on Strava and it looks like it was a b*&^ard!

Reactions: JTC
This week I've done two runs of the Couch to 5K app. So far it sure ain't pretty (caught side views of myself:oops:) but the Achilles is holding together.

This week I've done two runs of the Couch to 5K app. So far it sure ain't pretty (caught side views of myself:oops:) but the Achilles is holding together.

Good news. It’s a tough injury to get over.

Beat my Parkrun pb by nearly 3 minutes this morning, 30 mins dead at Christmas, 27:03 this morning. If only those two strollers hadn’t been in front of me at the start! Why do gentle joggers go so near the front of a big run? Really pleased though, was aiming for 27:30, but found a little left in the tank for the last km. Looked back at my history, this weekend last year I ran the same run in 36:10 and was nearly 4 stone heavier. Very happy bunny today!

Fantastic Lordy!! Great stuff and an inspiration to all.

Weekender - great to hear the leg is still in one piece. Take it easy, step by step, and don't overdo it.

I got to my local Parkrun this morning and it was heaving - 627 of us. Our start is wide, but funnels down to a narrow path at about 200m. Usually it's pretty good and people sort themselves out in a good way at the start, but this morning it was a bit rushed, and there were a large number standing ahead of the 'proper' startline, so it was mayhem - ended up, along with most of the 'faster' (if I can describe myself as that!) runners on the proper startline, but behind a 10+ deep crowd with buggies and dogs etc. Anyway, much ducking and diving and two second interval training in that first 200m! A little faster than last week so happy!

Good news. It’s a tough injury to get over.

Beat my Parkrun pb by nearly 3 minutes this morning, 30 mins dead at Christmas, 27:03 this morning. If only those two strollers hadn’t been in front of me at the start! Why do gentle joggers go so near the front of a big run? Really pleased though, was aiming for 27:30, but found a little left in the tank for the last km. Looked back at my history, this weekend last year I ran the same run in 36:10 and was nearly 4 stone heavier. Very happy bunny today!

Well done! That's a great time. One thing I've found though with Park Run is that the traffic at the start means I set off slower and I'm capable of a better time!

First Parkrun for nearly a year, and first mass start run since my calf tear. I expected about 23mins, and did 22:55 - which was pleasing. Took it easier on first lap as I wasn't sure how the calf would react to marginally faster running. My previous outing was a low 22, so a little way to go before I am back to normal.

Well done lordsummit - that is a massive improvement.

Brilliant, I dream of a time like that!

Started my half-marathon training plan today. I’ve very optimistically set a goal of 2 hours. Jeez that 13.5k was tough today. It’s been a while since I ran more than 10k, and I felt it. Silly tit went on his hilliest route as well, all the downhills are sudden, and the uphills are long grinds. Need to think more carefully next time :)

Reactions: JTC
https://www.goodrunguide.co.uk/RacePredictor.asp suggests that 27 mins is worth about 2:08 for a half, with the default scaling thing of 8%. So 2 hr is in reach, but not quite there (yet).

Be careful as you up your distances - remember the Hutchinson 10% rule:
Don't increase your total mileage, or your longest run, by more than 10% week on week.

I know, a man can dream though!! I’m following a garmin training plan that’s supposed to be based on what I’ve done previously. I’ll see how it goes!

Less than two weeks until the Strathearn marathon. Then a couple of (short) races the following weekend. Then a few days off and then a 16-ish week build-up to my highlight race of the year: The 2019 Auckland Marathon - no rest for the wicked!!!

First time I have run back home from town for ages. Along the hills, about 7.4 miles / 1200 feet of climbing, took it very steadily as I didn't know how my calf would react, chose a route with gentle gradients. 74 minutes, no bad reactions.

First time I have run back home from town for ages. Along the hills, about 7.4 miles / 1200 feet of climbing, took it very steadily as I didn't know how my calf would react, chose a route with gentle gradients. 74 minutes, no bad reactions.

Brilliant. May it long continue

^^ Wot he said!

Just off to a 10km race (Worthing). The sun is shining, it's a wonderful day.

Jeez that was warm...thermometer says it's 25C. Got a bit hot, sweaty and stinky, but got a PB (43:40), so more than happy!!
Off to the pub for a pint (or two) to rehydrate.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

advertisement

Back