advertisement

The Rise of the Far Right

She didn't criticise him on Radio 5, but rather avoided the question. When the interview invited her to she simply replied that it was a matter for the BBC.

The clip I’ve seen was on Twitter from LBC. She managed to get on the wrong side of both the argument itself, and on the wrong side of defending BBC employees right to speak truth to power. Every shred of respect I may once have had for her evaporated in that 34 second clip. The tldr of Labour’s stance is apparently a) don’t call out fascism as what it is, and b) discipline those that do.

Great stuff at PMQs today:

Fqslwh2XoAE6E3L

Go Red Team!!

Great stuff at PMQs today:

Fqslwh2XoAE6E3L

Go Red Team!!
Unbelievable. Labour are happy to instrumentalise racism of course but every now and then you’re reminded that people like Starmer are also personally beholden to racist narratives and sentiments. This is reminiscent of Angela Smith’s “funny tinge” comment. Straightforward embarrassing old racist uncle stuff, except that he’s the next PM, with a raging hard on for cops and crackdowns. Dangerous man.

Aside from the blindingly obvious NF/BNP aesthetic this official Conservative anti-immigration poster (Twitter) is noteworthy because it points out illegal immigrants will be denied access to the UK’s system of modern slavery.

Conservatives: Saying the quiet bit out loud since the days of state-sanctioned slavery.

PS I couldn’t believe this wasn’t a piss-take so I actually read the official Conservative Twitter account to find it. That is what I linked. I’m now off to boil-wash my iPad in bleach.

Unbelievable. Labour are happy to instrumentalise racism of course but every now and then you’re reminded that people like Starmer are also personally beholden to racist narratives and sentiments. This is reminiscent of Angela Smith’s “funny tinge” comment. Straightforward embarrassing old racist uncle stuff, except that he’s the next PM, with a raging hard on for cops and crackdowns. Dangerous man.
I don't wish to depress you any more, but here's The Guardian's take on that particular exchange:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...08b17e8440680a#block-640882948f08b17e8440680a
Keir Starmer went on asylum, and small boats. That in itself should tell you the key point about today’s PMQs. Historically, immigration, and anything related to it, has been a losing issue for Labour (just as the NHS has been a losing issue for the Tories). But the day after Rishi Sunak published an illegal migration bill clearly weaponised for political purposes, Starmer marched towards the gunfire.

It was a sign of confidence. And that confidence was merited because, at the very least, Labour can easily hold its own against the Tories on this issue.

Ed Miliband or Jeremy Corbyn would have avoided the topic because draconian asylum policies that tend to poll well with floating voters, and are hugely popular with the papers they read, tend to make Labour party members and MPs recoil with horror. When Miliband was leader, there was a row just because he put the slogan “controls on immigration” on a party mug. This explains the thrust of the Sunak attack today, as he claimed that Labour just favours “unlimited asylum” (see 12.05pm) and is opposed to all controls. Here is a flavour of it. Sunak said:

The reality is on this issue, [Starmer] has been on the wrong side … of this issue his entire career. He described all immigration law as racist. He said it was a mistake to control immigration. And he has never, ever voted for tougher asylum laws. It is clear while he is hock to the open border activists, we’re on the side of the British people …

He wanted to, in his words, scrap the Rwanda deal. He voted against measures to deport foreign criminals and he even argued against deportation flights. We know why, because on this matter he talked about his legal background. He’s just another lefty lawyer standing in our way.

As a line of attack, there is probably some mileage in it. There are people who don’t like “lefty lawyers”. But this sort of rhetoric only appeals to the core vote. More importantly, it is just not true to say that Labour is proposing unlimited asylum. It is a sign of how desperate this all sounded that the point about Starmer calling all immigration law racist came from a Guido Fawkes blog, quoting something Starmer wrote 35 years ago.

(Incidentally, Starmer was right on this. The Home Office itself actually said in an internal report that “during the period 1950-1981, every single piece of immigration or citizenship legislation was designed at least in part to reduce the number of people with black or brown skin who were permitted to live and work in the UK”. But you can see why Starmer won’t make that argument during an election campaign.)

The conventional Tory attack lines about Labour and asylum don’t work partly because policy has firmed up over Labour. More importantly, the fact that Starmer led the Crown Prosecution Service gives him considerable credibility on this. “When I was in charge of prosecutions I extradited countless rapists and the conviction rate for people-smuggling was twice what it is today,” he told Sunak.
The UK's leading, supposedly liberal newspaper completely surrendering to the far-right.

“Inside the Secret Working Group That Helped Push Anti-Trans Laws Across the Country” - Leaked emails give a glimpse of the religious-right networks behind transgender healthcare bans.

https://www.motherjones.com/politic...e-ban-legislation-bill-minors-children-lgbtq/

And the files are available via Maia’s torrent links, the hacker who published the US no fly list.

https://maia.crimew.gay/posts/the-emails/

None of it comes as any surprise but its nice to have open published evidence of how the process of dehumanising us and mandating us out of existing is part of an eliminationist/genocidal plan.

Here's the relevant bit of the Yvette Cooper interview with LBC:

https://twitter.com/I_amMukhtar/status/1633410964056940545

No equivocation here - she just flatly states that Lineker was wrong to make comparison with the 1930s.

The obvious response is: if not now, when?
Ms.Cooper has dipped her hands in populist vomit and I can equally imagine duelling “We’re at Breaking Point” billboard adverts between Labour and the Tories in the lead up to the GE. If you think it’s ugly now, just wait.
Everything that’s gone so badly wrong in Britain is the fault of asylum seekers, in fact foreigners in general.

Question for Scottish members: why is the supposedly progressive SNP considering for leadership a transphobic and homophobic candidate who uses her religious beliefs to justify her bigotry?

Question for Scottish members: why is the supposedly progressive SNP considering for leadership a transphobic and homophobic candidate who uses her religious beliefs to justify her bigotry?

The SNP under Salmond and Sturgeon found themselves uniquely placed to ride the wave of left wing populism that manifested elsewhere as Syriza in Greece, Podemos in Spain, Sanders in the US and Corbyn in the U.K. They found a niche as the natural left-of-centre, socially progressive party in Scotland in opposition to Labour’s sell out and the venal corruption of Westminster (not a particularly useful benchmark).

Although long since shedding their ‘Tartan Tories’ moniker, the SNP remained a broad, cross class alliance representing the spectrum of radical independence from a left wing perspective, to that wing of business that abandoned the Tories in the wake of Brexit. Under the iron grip of Salmond and Sturgeon, these contradictions were successfully contained for decades. Post Sturgeon, and the Indy cul de sac she led the party down, the differences are now unravelling rapidly. Forbes is essentially a socially and economically Conservative (with a capital C). Her grip on the Scottish purse was extremely useful for the neoliberal cabal around the Sturgeon/ Murrell leadership as long as her religious fundamentalism could be kept under wraps. She seems to have made a spectacularly misjudged pitch that, while her views on sex and marriage may not chime with the majority of the electorate, her candour around expressing her deeply held views would be perceived as refreshing honesty.

I wouldn’t characterise her as far right, more an Ann Widdecombe type figure whose natural home, had she been English, would have been in the Tory Party.

She’s put herself forward for election under the rules and I don’t believe she would be accepted as leader, her religious views are in a very tiny minority. You are right though, the SNP is indeed a progressive party certainly by comparison with the other two main parties.

Look what happened to Nicola Sturgeon when she successfully led the Transgender bill through Parliament securing a large cross party majority- she was ripped to pieces by the Tory Party, their right wing press while Starmer stood with his hands in his pockets and agreed with the Tories to strike down that legislation.

I wouldn’t characterise her as far right, more an Ann Widdecombe type figure whose natural home, had she been English, would have been in the Tory Party.

Thanks for the interesting SNP analysis. I still don't really understand how someone like Forbes can still be in the running. But then I don't really understand why England keeps voting for the same shower of bastards so what do I know.

This is an interesting piece by a US trans women who was once an evangelical Christian. I didn't know Forbes is effectively sponsored by a homophobic, anti-abortion Christian group. To me it doesn't feel so different to the group Claire posted about.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/50...h-national-party-religious-same-sex-marriage/

“Inside the Secret Working Group That Helped Push Anti-Trans Laws Across the Country” - Leaked emails give a glimpse of the religious-right networks behind transgender healthcare bans.

https://www.motherjones.com/politic...e-ban-legislation-bill-minors-children-lgbtq/

And the files are available via Maia’s torrent links, the hacker who published the US no fly list.

https://maia.crimew.gay/posts/the-emails/

None of it comes as any surprise but its nice to have open published evidence of how the process of dehumanising us and mandating us out of existing is part of an eliminationist/genocidal plan.
I think Rishi and Keir are together on this,

“Traditional Toilets for Traditional People”

..oh and “Stop The Boats”

It looks increasingly like the SNP was Nicola Sturgeon and Ian Blackford. Along with Caroline Lucas and Layla Moran about the only UK politicians I have any time for. Once one gets to a party stage the same old corporate grift, ego and company politics seems to take over. Our politics across the board is full of pretty awful people IMHO. Those with real intellect, vision and integrity are but a trace element of the whole. As is so often the case the whole structure attracts exactly the wrong type of person and deters those who would be better as they’d simply not want to work in that environment. It happens everywhere power and authority is on the table, e.g. the police.

advertisement

Back