advertisement

The Rise of the Far Right

Inspirational.

Which makes me wonder, why on earth is Schwarzenegger still a Republican?

It isn’t the first time either, he was very strongly on the right side on the Charlottesville terrorism where Trump stood with the fascists:

Also on Trump’s Jan 6th coup and attempt to overturn the election:

I’ve a lot of respect for him. I hope his message firmly connects with the Republican demographic he is targeting.

Inspirational.

Which makes me wonder, why on earth is Schwarzenegger still a Republican?

I’ve said my piece about the blanket application of the term ‘fascist’ to Republicans and Tories, and won’t repeat it again here. But Arnie is living proof that even now, there are still voices within Conservatism that retain a commitment to democracy, abhor fascism and are willing to speak out.

His record as governor of California could probably most charitably be described as ‘patchy.’ But he does seem to be moving in the opposite direction to the alt-right. He is a unique figure in U.S. politics in that he was born and grew up in a country that was part of a murderous, fascist dictatorship- and witnessed its aftermath. He will have had relations who were Nazis, and perhaps also victims of the Nazis. This affords him an insight into the reality of fascism that is completely lost on the likes of Bannon and his acolytes, for whom it remains a glorious fantasy.

I’ve said my piece about the blanket application of the term ‘fascist’ to Republicans and Tories, and won’t repeat it again here. But Arnie is living proof that even now, there are still voices within Conservatism that retain a commitment to democracy, abhor fascism and are willing to speak out.

His record as governor of California could probably most charitably be described as ‘patchy.’ But he does seem to be moving in the opposite direction to the alt-right. He is a unique figure in U.S. politics in that he was born and grew up in a country that was part of a murderous, fascist dictatorship- and witnessed its aftermath. He will have had relations who were Nazis, and perhaps also victims of the Nazis. This affords him an insight into the reality of fascism that is completely lost on the likes of Bannon and his acolytes, for whom it remains a glorious fantasy.

The faithful will just dismiss him as another RINO, and a foreign one at that. He is not speaking out "from within" Conservatism, he is an outsider now.

The faithful will just dismiss him as another RINO, and a foreign one at that. He is not speaking out "from within" Conservatism, he is an outsider now.
That phrase 'the faithful' is properly used. I have come to understand that to be faithful is to be unthinking. Instead, you just go with the instinct that says you need to believe what your group believes.

So to recap: Tory donor and friend of BBC Chairman Richard Sharp still in place, sports presenter Gary Lineker suspended for calling out fascism.

Great to see Lineker not rowing back on this at all, and others are following by refusing to appear on MOTD e.g. Ian Wright & John Barnes. The BBC needs calling out. It is an absolute disgrace IMHO. I really resent paying a license fee at present.

PS I think John Barnes was in New Order.

So to recap: Tory donor and friend of BBC Chairman Richard Sharp still in place, sports presenter Gary Lineker suspended for calling out fascism.

Great to see Lineker not rowing back on this at all, and others are following by refusing to appear on MOTD e.g. Ian Wright & John Barnes. The BBC needs calling out. It is an absolute disgrace IMHO. I really resent paying a license fee at present.

PS I think John Barnes was in New Order.

England/New Order, yes (World In Motion), New Order, no.

Just in case anyone is still in even the slightest doubt as to where the UK is right now and where we are headed here is a short message from the Chairman of the Conservative Party (Twitter).

:D

fb_img_1679006445856-jpg.190996

Photo taken on the steps of Parliament in Melbourne yesterday following a rally by 'gender critical' Kelly Jay Keen/Posie Parker.

Seems whenever there's an anti-trans rally nazis turn up. Weird huh?

P.S. Australian nazis wear bucket hats?!?

YwUtpi3.png

LGBTQ+ hatred and fascism are always linked. The connection is there throughout history and vast numbers ended up thrown in gas chambers etc by the Nazis.

This is what the UK Conservative Party are playing with by placing far-right monsters such as Lee Anderson, Suella Braverman etc into prime positions and wilfully creating wedge issues. People will die due to the hatred they are whipping up for their own political ends. They are no different or better than the people pictured above.

Photo taken on the steps of Parliament in Melbourne yesterday following a rally by 'gender critical' Kelly Jay Keen/Posie Parker.

Seems whenever there's an anti-trans rally nazis turn up. Weird huh?

P.S. Australian nazis wear bucket hats?!?

YwUtpi3.png
Yeah saw that. Chilling. Very, very concerning.

This moral panic doesn’t seem confined to the western conservative-right, the Ugandan government has just passed a bill imposing the death penalty for LGBTQ+ folk (Guardian). I don’t really understand the political situation there, though it appears there is a lot of Christian fundamentalism in the mix. I don’t think it is a conventional right-wing government anyway. Political overview here on Wikipedia.

Labour will buy into the far-right trans-panic (Sky News). Lee Anderson, The Daily Mail and the rest of the gammon fascists and bigots get to define Starmer’s Labour Party.

The message is clear. If you are an outsider you will be persecuted in the UK. There is no room or tolerance for any difference here in Little Brexitland.

This country has become such a right-wing shithole. The 1970s National Front have won. They own the place now.

Labour will buy into the far-right trans-panic (Sky News). Lee Anderson, The Daily Mail and the rest of the gammon fascists and bigots get to define Starmer’s Labour Party.

The message is clear. If you are an outsider you will be persecuted in the UK. There is no room or tolerance for any difference in little Brexitland.

This country has become such a right-wing shithole. The 1970s National Front have won. They own the place now.
The political environment since the 70’s is the foundational problem. Since the 70’s we have had the politics of greed, competitive advantage to a privileged elite, and an ideology of to them that have shall be given.

Fascism always prospers where the right wing prospers

The political environment since the 70’s is the foundational problem. Since the 70’s we have had the politics of greed, competitive advantage to a privileged elite, and an ideology of to them that have shall be given.

I’d argue the UK, probably more than anywhere else in the world, has always had that attitude. There was a post-war reconstruction blip where the political left actually gained some ground and built much of the infrastructure we rely on today, but other that that it is centuries of ethnic nationalism, exceptionalism, bigotry and exploitation.

advertisement

Back