advertisement

The price of puppies

Sorry - BS.

Gundogs in particular make excellent pets. Want some hard work - try a hound - soft natured and totally loveable but they ALL have the wander-lust, find an interesting scent - GONE, even mini dachs.
also BS sry. I own a hound for the last 7 years. No wanderlust, no interest in scent. He's a gaze hound, as many are. SEE something and he wants to go but I trained him. Remember training?

I personally cannot understand anyone paying for a dog (or a cat) when there's dogs in the shelters needing a home.

you frequently have to pay an adoption fee for a cat or dog from a shelter

I can't understand people buying from commercial breeders.

I got our two from a colleague, they would've ended up in a charity had we not intervened. Two cats in their household produced an unplanned and unexpected litter of kittens.

I was much more content paying him, than allowing them to go to a charity and having an unwanted and unhappy start to life. I have no doubt both would've found a home quickly.

And there speaks someone who has no experience of poodles in particular...……………………… Many love them, but they are aloof and very far from everyone's ideal dog. The bits that you like come from the other breeds involved. The reason that poodles are a common cross is the lack of a moult, which means that owners get saddled with clipping costs every couple of months. If you love dogs, the moult is part and parcel of the joys and frustrations of owning one.

Poodles were originally a gundog BTW.

As for genetic problems. Where did you get that gem of wisdom from?
Yes, I know all that about poodles, thanks. I have no experience as an owner, but nothing you say there is a surprise to me.

As for your last sentence, there's plenty on the Kennel Club website about DNA screening for inherited problems. I'll not reply to anything else you might put up now, as I don't think it is getting us anywhere.

The price of puppies came up this week.

Best mate and partner are getting a puppy, they have old labs that are rickety.

If had been drinking tea, I would have spat it out when he told me the price.

Then the wife informs me that a friend of hers has some puppies at 2.5k a throw.

(we don't have a dog, or any pets.)

Plus there are 1000s of wonderful dogs being put to sleep that would be a wonderful addition to almost any home

That's why I don't understand anyone claiming to be an animal lover and prepared to spend £££ on a dog whenever there's dogs being put to sleep in shelters.

you frequently have to pay an adoption fee for a cat or dog from a shelter

I can't understand people buying from commercial breeders.

I got our two from a colleague, they would've ended up in a charity had we not intervened. Two cats in their household produced an unplanned and unexpected litter of kittens.

I was much more content paying him, than allowing them to go to a charity and having an unwanted and unhappy start to life. I have no doubt both would've found a home quickly.

Battersea charge £165/£185 per dog depending on age.

That's okay, seems a reasonable charge from a good organisation focused on the welfare of dogs.

The price of puppies came up this week.

Best mate and partner are getting a puppy, they have old labs that are rickety.

If had been drinking tea, I would have spat it out when he told me the price.

Then the wife informs me that a friend of hers has some puppies at 2.5k a throw.

(we don't have a dog, or any pets.)
Our first lab (yellow) cost us £180, 20-odd years ago, but she turned out to be priceless. The second (choccy) was about £450, the third (black) cost us around £8-900 about 3 years ago. We've always bought from small, but KC registered, breeders rather than the commercial ones - the sort where the pups are in the kitchen in a box and you can meet the mother too. Prices have gone crazy though, and it is down to demand for these fashionable crossbreeds. I think they can make lovely pets, as above, but the prices are stupid.

Most shelters don't euthanase healthy dogs. We pay a monthly subscription to the Dogs Trust, to support those dogs which can't be rehomed, for one reason or another, but which are not ill. We first tried to rehome a lab from the Labrador rescue, but they were entirely too precious about the criteria. We both work, and couldn't guarantee not to leave the dog for over 6 hours occasionally (we initially chose a lab because temperamentally they're better suited to that than some of the more highly strung breeds, FFS). Lab rescue said 'no' so fair enough.

I'd not be averse to rehoming something like a Staffie, from a rescue place, if we decided to get a companion dog for ours. She'd basically get to choose which dog we took, not us.

We’ve had a few cats over the years and all have been rescue critters up for adoption. Every one has been quite friendly and sociable, except Griffe “Fek’lhr” el gato — or Mr. Bitey McBitey Pants as we called him. Oddly, the cat that looks like a bitey is anything but.

31103518506_20c3dbf001_c.jpg

Joe

Just found out that today — Caturday, August 8 — is international cat day.

I know, everyday is international cat day. I wonder when dogs will have their day.

Joe

My experience of dogs like Cockerpoos, Labradoodles etc (admittedly only from meeting them and their owners in the park) is that they make delightful family pets and have bags of character and do inherit many of the traits of their parent breeds. While also not inheriting quite so many of the problems of generations of inbreeding, such as hip dysplasia. They have that hybrid vigour. They are only worthless if you value a pedigree, which is to my mind pretty much as arbitrary a standard as anything else.

It also gives people a reason to think they can charge stupid money for what is basically a mutt.

Years ago, a boss told me proudly he had paid £500 for a lurcher. I laughed so hard, I nearly sh*t a kidney.

Our local animal shelter (Wood Green - avoid, other nicer shelters are available) has recently warned of an influx of dogs (and cats) now all the families who had lots of time under 'lockdown' and got a puppy / kitten have now realised that they're not going to be at home to look after it or are off furlough and on universal credit.

Ozzie (our cat) is very shortly going to get a friend or two.

I much prefer scruffy mongrels or bull breeds myself, if I had to I would pay more for those than alot of the pedigree or new mixed breed dogs, but of course many of them can be had for free. Some of the newly popular breeds are lovely like cockapoos and Frenchies, but Frenchies like Pugs have been cruelly bred just to satisfy the stupid need for 'cartoon' looking dogs. To me it is a pleasure meeting a dog and letting it join your 'pack', rather than buying in some poor pup that would rather be with its mum.

This thread has led my mind to a somewhat abstract and left-field reflection on the human condition/dogs life/political correctness/racial equality etc...

When it comes to humans we are required to "...hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal..." (if only this was more widely enshrined in law and humanity!) and that no one should be discriminated against on grounds of colour... let alone size, build etc.

Is it not a sad indictment then of the true nature of man that when it comes to animals and we are freed from these conventions we are allowed to let all our ingrained prejudices run free, nay even to encourage eugenics! "I want the black lab not the yellow one!" "such and such breed are thick I'm not having that one" "It's too big/small/fat/skinny" "Not spotty enough"

If that's how our minds naturally work when unconstrained from any requirement to show equality, fairness, compassion, empathy etc for another living creature....

Coat on and heading for door:rolleyes:

Edit: Bizarrely there's an opinion piece in the grauniad today (12th) saying much the same thing!!

Last edited:

advertisement

Back