advertisement

The price of puppies

garyi

leave blank
Has anyone noticed the price of puppies of late? We got ours just before lockdown a red cocker, and i think he was 900, they seem to be upto 3k now.

Or is this just a hampshire thing?

I've been out of the "doggie world" for too long but this would not have happened except amongst the highly unscrupulous, say 10 years ago and more.

The lunatic unscrupulous is the prices asked for bitsas/Heinz pups that have no actual intrinsic value, pups that would have been worth maybe £5-10, 15 years ago or so - all of these crosses that have become insanely popular.

Yup its mad, so called sprockers are up for 4k.

The wife is always banging on about the dog getting nicked and I can see why now.

not just puppies.

Siamese kittens are running at about 500-700 which is crazy. I got our two from a colleague who asked for £75 per kitten plus a £25 donation per kitten to cats protection. At the time breeders were selling Siamese for £300-400.

When our two were kittens there were several cats round here kidnapped for ransom, so they are indoor cats. One Yodel delivery driver, keeps offering us £500 for Marley.

20200803_170415 by uh_simon, on Flickr

I've been out of the "doggie world" for too long but this would not have happened except amongst the highly unscrupulous, say 10 years ago and more.

The lunatic unscrupulous is the prices asked for bitsas/Heinz pups that have no actual intrinsic value, pups that would have been worth maybe £5-10, 15 years ago or so - all of these crosses that have become insanely popular.
I rather like the current trend towards crossbreeds. It should help breed out some of the genetic nasties that the Kennel Club's obsession with breed standards have saddled us with on the pedigree side.

I rather like the current trend towards crossbreeds. It should help breed out some of the genetic nasties that the Kennel Club's obsession with breed standards have saddled us with on the pedigree side.

Wrong on both counts.
To register with the KC, a dog has to have a kosher pedigree, so only English cockers can appear in an English cocker's family tree, for instance. The KC also does not set standards, the breed clubs do, and it is the breed clubs that grasp the nettle, or not, to strive to breed out bad traits, and for the most part, they do.
Today, the genetics behind the problems are mostly extremely well-know and many have genetic tests available, so carriers are not bred from. Not universally the case, but not uncommon.

Do not think that it is only dogs either - take a look at budgies and some of the canary breeds - the Border/Yorkie nonsense for instance from what? 30 years ago?..……………………. I don't know anything much about cats, but suspect that some breeds must have problems.

No, I mean that the crossbreeds are less susceptible to the genetic faults, and as these are going into family homes in preference to pedigree breeds, that helps reduce the general incidence of genetic flaws in the domestic hound population, especially among families which may lack the knowledge or financial resources to deal with them appropriately when they occur.

Breeders of pedigree dogs need to deal with the problem too, and maybe the competition in the market will help focus their minds.

I’m not vain enough to get anything other than a bitza cat from a rehoming centre. I’d be the same with a dog. I’ve no need for a working dog, so don’t care too much about all that stuff. They’re all loveable, aren’t they?

Again, I know nowt of cats, except that they mostly like me, and if I had one, it would be an indoor one, but certainly for dogs, you buy pedigree, you know what you are getting - things like temperament, trainability, and lots besides. Crosses. less so. If you want a smallish, insane, very affectionate and moderately trainable dog that needs a modest amount of coat care, buy an English cocker FFS, not a cross.

the competition in the market will help focus their minds.

In my experience, the crosses are being produced by those who see not much further than £££ - why else would anyone breed inherently worthless crosses and sell them for lunatic prices? It is jumping on a money-making band-wagon.

In my experience, the crosses are being produced by those who see not much further than £££ - why else would anyone breed inherently worthless crosses and sell them for lunatic prices? It is jumping on a money-making band-wagon.
My experience of dogs like Cockerpoos, Labradoodles etc (admittedly only from meeting them and their owners in the park) is that they make delightful family pets and have bags of character and do inherit many of the traits of their parent breeds. While also not inheriting quite so many of the problems of generations of inbreeding, such as hip dysplasia. They have that hybrid vigour. They are only worthless if you value a pedigree, which is to my mind pretty much as arbitrary a standard as anything else.

Last edited:
We will only ever have rescue dogs now.
Disappointed that step son just bought a brand new Chocolate lab
Two of our lot are Jack Russell / Chihuahuas which I discovered to my amazement are a deliberate cross breed.
These 2 are wonderful with 10% evil, but bad traits of both must give a dog from hell

all of ours have been dogs home dogs...get a pup from there are they are wonderful. Anything older that has been badly treated will need lots of care for a year or so but when they come good, they are the best.
Unless you need a working breed known to be perfect at a certain job, pure breeds make much less sense for a domestic situation I think.

My experience of dogs like Cockerpoos, Labradoodles' etc (admittedly only from meeting them and their owners in the park) is that they make delightful family pets and have bags of character and do inherit many of the traits of their parent breeds. While also not inheriting quite so many of the problems of generations of inbreeding, such as hip dysplasia. They have that hybrid vigour. They are only worthless if you value a pedigree, which is to my mind pretty much as arbitrary a standard as anything else.

And there speaks someone who has no experience of poodles in particular...……………………… Many love them, but they are aloof and very far from everyone's ideal dog. The bits that you like come from the other breeds involved. The reason that poodles are a common cross is the lack of a moult, which means that owners get saddled with clipping costs every couple of months. If you love dogs, the moult is part and parcel of the joys and frustrations of owning one.

Poodles were originally a gundog BTW.

As for genetic problems. Where did you get that gem of wisdom from?

Step daughter has a Pugalier. He's ok but nothng special.
Spurred on by that she got a Cavapoo. Mental, spawn of Satan.
Her husband's parents got a Cavapoo too
So timid it is scared of it's own shadow. All sorts of medical problems that cost a fortune

Unless you need a working breed known to be perfect at a certain job, pure breeds make much less sense for a domestic situation I think

Sorry - BS.

Gundogs in particular make excellent pets. Want some hard work - try a hound - soft natured and totally loveable but they ALL have the wander-lust, find an interesting scent - GONE, even mini dachs.

advertisement

Back