advertisement

The price of puppies

I read a newspaper article this weekend. The reporting was the French peoples are world champions at abandoning pets. Something like 10x more abandoned pets in France than the UK.

Summer holidays especially - some pets turfed out cos the family want to go on holiday. Or they take the pet with them, only to discover pets not allowed, so are abandoned instead! Hence common sight of lost dogs around motorway service areas and S France campsites.

Last edited:
I read a newspaper article this weekend. The reporting was the French peoples are world champions at abandoning pets. Something like 10x more abandoned pets in France than the UK.

Summer holidays especially - some pets turfed out cos the family want to go on holiday. Or they take the pet with them, only to discover pets not allowed, so are abandoned instead! Hence common site of lost dogs around motorway service areas and S France campsites.
Saw that
Not nice

My parents got their pup pre-lockdown - mum was raised with alsatians (which explains her table manners...) and we've always had them.

They decided it was needle time unless I homed him a few months before Covid-19 became a "thing." 60kg alsatian, still growing. Now I know they're rising in value... would anyone like to upsize from a chihuahua?

Summer holidays especially - some pets turfed out cos the family want to go on holiday. Or they take the pet with them, only to discover pets not allowed, so are abandoned instead! Hence common sight of lost dogs around motorway service areas and S France campsites.
Italy same. I have made countless friends during my end of year Italian holidays. At least 2 I would have adopted if I could. You see them day after day, then one night at 4am a van goes round and they all disappear.

I much prefer scruffy mongrels or bull breeds myself, if I had to I would pay more for those than alot of the pedigree or new mixed breed dogs, but of course many of them can be had for free. Some of the newly popular breeds are lovely like cockapoos and Frenchies, but Frenchies like Pugs have been cruelly bred just to satisfy the stupid need for 'cartoon' looking dogs. To me it is a pleasure meeting a dog and letting it join your 'pack', rather than buying in some poor pup that would rather be with its mum.
You can’t beat a nice staffie

Indeed. Once the hellhound shows signs of maturing, I'm considering a rescue one as a companion animal for him.

Getting a calm, older dog now might be what you need. They are very good at teaching puppies how to be calm, well behaved dogs that know their place in the pack.

Getting a calm, older dog now might be what you need. They are very good at teaching puppies how to be calm, well behaved dogs that know their place in the pack.

I fear that 60kg+ of 19 month old, still bloody teething and still growing like a weed alsatian hellpony is pretty sure of his place.... he lost his patrol privileges last night at 3am - normally he has free access to the back garden and bedrooms. Deciding that he had bed level access also did not sit well (except for him, repeatedly), so last night he got access restricted to the corridor, kitchen (for drinking water, he's good with a tap) and living room.

What I'd dearly like is a dogue de bordeaux bitch that would take no crap from this upstart. An older staffy bitch will have to do, though. I want to get past the teething at least first. 19 months and he still has an adult tooth yet to emerge, and there are a bunch of small teeth working their way up to becoming big teeth. With that and the heat I'm not surprised he's acting out, but damned if I'm going to put up with it, and certainly it's not the sort of situation I'd want to rehome any dog into.

I fear that 60kg+ of 19 month old, still bloody teething and still growing like a weed alsatian hellpony is pretty sure of his place.... he lost his patrol privileges last night at 3am - normally he has free access to the back garden and bedrooms. Deciding that he had bed level access also did not sit well (except for him, repeatedly), so last night he got access restricted to the corridor, kitchen (for drinking water, he's good with a tap) and living room.

What I'd dearly like is a dogue de bordeaux bitch that would take no crap from this upstart. An older staffy bitch will have to do, though. I want to get past the teething at least first. 19 months and he still has an adult tooth yet to emerge, and there are a bunch of small teeth working their way up to becoming big teeth. With that and the heat I'm not surprised he's acting out, but damned if I'm going to put up with it, and certainly it's not the sort of situation I'd want to rehome any dog into.

60kg+???? That's huge for an Alsatian, thought they did not get much bigger than 40kg?

60kg+???? That's huge for an Alsatian, thought they did not get much bigger than 40kg?

He's far from normal - this line get BIG - and this one in particular seems to be VERY slow-maturing. He's an "old fashioned" type - straight back, big boned, will end up with a large head and lots of teeth... bred as a working dog, so very, very smart. Oh, and paws like a dinner plate. This line tends to go through 2 stages of mental development. They calm down somewhere between 2 and 3 years old, and then "grow up" around 5 to 7 years old.

The only downside to this line is that they don't do well in the heat at all - I do find myself wondering if there's some caucasian shepherd "accidentally" mixed into the line...

Dogs don't comprehend size (or height for that matter) you don't need automatically need a bigger dog to teach good manners. But, and it's a big but, the key to this is making sure that you are at the top of the pecking order and it sounds like that's not a given at the moment. If your dog thinks it's pack leader and you introduce a new dog, it will be carnage. If you're in charge, it'll be so much easier; if you accept the newcomer, so will doggo.

Dogs don't comprehend size (or height for that matter) you don't need automatically need a bigger dog to teach good manners. But, and it's a big but, the key to this is making sure that you are at the top of the pecking order and it sounds like that's not a given at the moment. If your dog thinks it's pack leader and you introduce a new dog, it will be carnage. If you're in charge, it'll be so much easier; if you accept the newcomer, so will doggo.

Absolutely.

Steps are being taken to reinforce pecking order.

This rebellion must be crushed! :)

advertisement

Back