advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

That's a great deal! Shame it's not available now.

Pretty sure I saw a full set of inks for £420 not too long ago, but looks like they've all gone back up to the regular price. I'll also need a new maintenance cartridge taking the total to £500.

Have you had to change the ink on yours yet?

Lefty

Mine are all showing warnings, but its still printing, and I've printed several A2s and A3s so far with the warnings on, I have had to replace the maintenance cartridge though.

When the warnings started I bought a full set of cartridges and 2 maintenance cartridges. I bought them (Canon Originals) from CartridgeSave total bill was £470

I bought a second Epson 3800 on ebay for a couple of hundred quid a while back. It had a full set of variously full inks onboard, and an almost full set of new spares.

Mine are all showing warnings, but its still printing, and I've printed several A2s and A3s so far with the warnings on, I have had to replace the maintenance cartridge though.

When the warnings started I bought a full set of cartridges and 2 maintenance cartridges. I bought them (Canon Originals) from CartridgeSave total bill was £470

Wow - you're doing really well! How long have you had the printer now? I'm on my second maintenance cart and that is now almost full. All of the inks were showing warnings a while ago, but I know this isn't anything to get worried about and that there is still loads of printing left. The trouble I find is that sometimes (approx every 3 months or so) the printer will perform a huge self cleaning cycle whereby it dumps a LOT of ink into the maintenance cart. This is what happened yesterday taking my maintenance cart from approax 1/3 full to 3/4 full. After the cycle was complete it told me that 3 carts were empty and needed replacing. I got the printer new in early Sept so I got around 9 months out of the starter inks. Better than with my first Pro-1000 where I got approx 6 months.

That's a good price for the cartridges. Looks like they have gone up during lockdown :( I might try and sweet talk Vince at Fotospeed to see if he can do me a good price on a full set.

I bought a second Epson 3800 on ebay for a couple of hundred quid a while back. It had a full set of variously full inks onboard, and an almost full set of new spares.

To be honest, I wish I had gone for the Epson P800. My old Epson P600's ink lasted for ages despite the carts only being 26ml vs the 80ml in the Pro-1000. The trouble with the Pro-1000 is that it performs lots of forced cleaning cycles. I'd rather perform cleaning cycles myself if needed rather than being forced to perform them pre-emptively 'just in case'.

Lefty

Amar, I think that on the latest gen Epsons (P900?) you don't have to do the black ink changeover. For some this is apparently a gamechanger.

15 months

Wow - you've done well! Have you not experienced any of the big forced cleaning cycles?

Amar, I think that on the latest gen Epsons (P900?) you don't have to do the black ink changeover. For some this is apparently a gamechanger.

Interesting! I didn't know about these new models. Elimination of the need to purge black ink is definitely a positive development. If it's as frugal with ink then it'll likely be a very good printer indeed. Couple that with the ability to take roll media and Epson have a winner on their hands.

One of two but I try to print regularly

There is a firmware upgrade for the Pro-1000 to take longer paper (but you would have to cut from a roll) https://www.canon.co.uk/pro/news/pr...utm_campaign=affiliate_window&utm_term=101248

How often would you say you print? It would be interesting to compare as it's possible to get data on exactly what you have printed using the accounting software. I tried to install this earlier today but it won't let me do anything until I've fed it more ink!

Yes, the new firmware and the ability to print longer is definitely a bonus. Although I'll probably still outsource any prints larger than A2.

Lefty

I had one of these shortly after its release. I do like the whole 'X-Pro' form, having had a Pro1 for several years (it was my first ILC Fuji) but whilst it is used it's only occasionally. First time round with the Pro2 it didn't hit the spot, spending so much time fannying around, trying to get the best out of the RAF files didn't help either. Anyway, I've been using the Pro1 a lot more recently, shooting purely in jpeg, and have re-discovered the joys of how darn good the files are, sooc.

This is my old Pro2...I have another one arriving tomorrow. Thanks to the '3', prices of 2's have taken a bit of a knock.

White on black by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

I had one of these shortly after its release. I do like the whole 'X-Pro' form, having had a Pro1 for several years (it was my first ILC Fuji) but whilst it is used it's only occasionally. First time round with the Pro2 it didn't hit the spot, spending so much time fannying around, trying to get the best out of the RAF files didn't help either. Anyway, I've been using the Pro1 a lot more recently, shooting purely in jpeg, and have re-discovered the joys of how darn good the files are, sooc.

This is my old Pro2...I have another one arriving tomorrow. Thanks to the '3', prices of 2's have taken a bit of a knock.

White on black by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

I think the key with RAF file processing is not to overthink it! On a monitor its very easy to get sidetracked into pixel-peeping rather than looking at the overall image, this is where I find printing helps!

We are fortunate now that we have lots of choices for processing RAF files, and despite its less than good performance early on, Lightroom has come along in leaps in bounds with this regard.

Now all we need is @Lefty to get an X100F as his everyday camera (its a bargain at the moment) and the Fuji fan club will be complete!!!

There is something about the SOOC files out of early X-Trans sensors which the later generations have struggled to touch.

They say confession is good for the soul...............ignoring the camera & lenses:
Gitzo Series 1 travel tripod kit, used, excellent condition & about half the price of a new one
RRS L bracket; the only one I'm aware of that gives access to the battery and control doors when fitted on the camera. Used
Kase magnetic neutral density filter kit. Really like these - you only need adaptors for each lens filter thread so very convenient. No vignetting when stacked, discounted

Pushed this photo to the limit to see what I could get away with - f22 so a fair bit of diffraction, 300mm equivalent focal length, 2 minutes exposure in poor light and pretty windy:

49992537376_f1b26b99eb_b.jpg

Last edited:
The Pro2 arrived yesterday, so have been getting re-acquainted with it. I only have 2 native-mount lenses - the Viltrox 85 and this, the Mitakon 35-0.95. Thanks to the (vastly) improved focus peaking aid vs the somewhat crude version on the Pro1, I can see this lens getting a lot of use. It's gorgeous, and suits the P2 both functionally and aesthetically...

Sweet combination by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Finally pulled the trigger on a secondhand D850 with a shutter count of 2000, and a 32GB XQD and SDHC card for £1900. Do I keep my D500 now?

One week on from the Viltrox 23 arriving, and having shot a few hundred images, I can now vouch for it being really rather good. For 300 quid I have no complaints at all. :)

Viltrox 23 by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

I don't have any native Fuji 35's at the moment - only the Mitakon 0.95 which replaced the good old, and much-loved XF35-1.4. I did once own the 35-f2 and whilst it's a lens I respected, I never really had much affection for it. The news that Fuji had released an XC version of that lens though (for just over 150 quid) did wake me up though, and I've been after a 'nifty fifty' with AF for a while.

The XC has the same optical recipe as the f2 WR but is all plastic (including the mount) and with no aperture ring. For the price though, I cannot complain:

Plastic fantastic by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Finally pulled the trigger on a secondhand D850 with a shutter count of 2000, and a 32GB XQD and SDHC card for £1900. Do I keep my D500 now?

Flog it and get the battery grip, you can set the D850 to crop and it will blank out the veuefinder to show you the same veue as the D500.
The grip makes it a much more holdable camers.

Pete D850 and Grip

Still not decided what to do. The D500 has a faster maximum frame rate and the buffer takes longer to fill so good for birds in flight etc
I still have my D300 sitting unused too!

advertisement

Back