advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

Thanks for the info - that's a shame as it looked ideal (only 1.27Kg and hopefully stable enough for my needs). Looks like I'll either get the TMA 28C or the 3LT Leo 2.0.

Lefty

I have a 3LT Punks Tripod, (one of their first the Vyv) and its not the stablest of things, in fact on the lower leg extensions its next to useless (probably as its 5 leg extensions). Given the fact that its likely to be windy higher up, I would have thought that a beefier tripod would be in order. I have no experience of Benro Tripods, a lot of people use them.

I bought a Rollei Traveller carbon tripod about a year or so back as I wanted a lighter tripod than the Manfrotto one I'd been using for many years. It's been fine even with my fairly heavy K1. In windy conditions I've hung my camera bag from a hook at the bottom to stabilise it and had good results.

Hello all,

I bought a s/h Canon 5D Mk1 and a couple of lenses and lugged it around the countryside for a year or so. I kept reading about 4/3rds and eventually bought a Panasonic G2, I was amazed to find that the controls were much better than the Canon and as for the weight!

I thought I would do a comparison; took the same pic of our bookshelves with both cameras and then took both out into the countryside and did the same. I sent the files off to Photobox for some 18" x 24" prints.

When they arrived the only way to tell the difference was the file numbers on the back. Upon very close inspection some parts of one were better than others and vice versa. Fooled again I thought, fell for the photographers blackmail.

I bought a battery under the body thing for the 5D and sold it on eBay for more than I paid for it.

I'm still using the G2 and bought a spare body, I can take a packed lunch now and walk for hours.

This is what you find.

Cheers - J

I have a 3LT Punks Tripod, (one of their first the Vyv) and its not the stablest of things, in fact on the lower leg extensions its next to useless (probably as its 5 leg extensions). Given the fact that its likely to be windy higher up, I would have thought that a beefier tripod would be in order. I have no experience of Benro Tripods, a lot of people use them.

Sorry, just seen this. Yeah, my experience of 3LT products hasn't been great to be honest. I tried a 'Brian' in store and it had stability issues. I also bought one of their heads and currently use it, but it doesn't inspire confidence to be honest. The arca swiss clamp doesn't always engage properly (and that's despite also using a 3LT L bracket). I have to ensure I push the bracket up against one of the sides of the clamp before tightening to ensure a secure fit.

I should really just get my Manfrotto fixed as it's just the centre column has come apart (the little black semi-circular retaining clip came off and is now no longer tight enough to hold the red centre column assembly together. I probably just need to re-order the black semi-circular ring.)

I bought a Rollei Traveller carbon tripod about a year or so back as I wanted a lighter tripod than the Manfrotto one I'd been using for many years. It's been fine even with my fairly heavy K1. In windy conditions I've hung my camera bag from a hook at the bottom to stabilise it and had good results.

Thanks for the info. I'll certainly look into the Rollei.

Lefty

Another 4 books!

https://bluecoatpress.co.uk/product/special-four-book-offer/

4-Books.jpg

I have a Manfrotto Befree carbon fiber travel tripod, It handles the weight of my D850 and grip and probbaly weighs less.
I also have a Benbo which isn't light but you can put your camera where ever you want.

Pete

I have a Manfrotto Befree carbon fiber travel tripod, It handles the weight of my D850 and grip and probbaly weighs less.
I also have a Benbo which isn't light but you can put your camera where ever you want.

Pete

Thanks for the feedback Pete. I think the issue is not necessarily one of handling the weight as, it's more to do with the stability of the tripod when faced with external forces such as wind. Obviously additional mass is going to help here, but factors such as multi-section centre columns and fastenings with play in them do not help here. I'm looking for something lighter than my current Manfrotto MT 190 CX Pro 4 but with the same stability. Possibly a tall order without spending Gitzo money. I suppose the alternative it getting a gym membership and dealing with the weight of my gear! :D

Lefty

One with a hook to hang your camera bag from would help.

Tripods are very spendy these days my manfrotto should have been £300 but it was reduced to £100 as that model was being replaced.
I just have to accept the sniggering and pointing of the other photographers.

Pete

I have a Manfrotto Bird tripod that rarely gets used as it's just too heavy to carry around, although it's really stable. I usually just handhold or use either a hide clamp or monopod with a gimbal head. Even my much lighter Manfrotto 190 doesn't get used that often.

Sorry, just seen this. Yeah, my experience of 3LT products hasn't been great to be honest. I tried a 'Brian' in store and it had stability issues. I also bought one of their heads and currently use it, but it doesn't inspire confidence to be honest. The arca swiss clamp doesn't always engage properly (and that's despite also using a 3LT L bracket). I have to ensure I push the bracket up against one of the sides of the clamp before tightening to ensure a secure fit.

Lefty
thanks Amar, that's useful. I was just on their site evaluating that head. and searching for reviews/comparisons. I think the Airhead just dropped off of my list.

thanks Amar, that's useful. I was just on their site evaluating that head. and searching for reviews/comparisons. I think the Airhead just dropped off of my list.

You're welcome Rico - I wish I had more positive things to say (especially since they are based only up the road from me). I wanted to be sure I wasn't going mad so had another look - this is the problem When I just put the l bracket into the clamping mechanism and tighten it, this is the result. Look at the size of that gap! (And the clamp is fully tight here - I can't tighten it further and close that gap - it is only being held on one side)

49840413676_89f7c2500c_c.jpg

However, when I purposely push one side of the l bracket up against one side of the clamping mechanism, it closes without any gap. (as it should). I really should get around to purchasing a new head as I can imagine my camera coming off the tripod one of these days....

49839874778_9ebc81e5d1_c.jpg

Lefty

Actually - thinking about it, the fault could well be with the L bracket? (A 3LT product I should add - might be better to try an alternative L bracket....)

@Lefty

Whilst my 3LT tripod is ok, I wouldn't be rushing to buy another 3LT product, I don't use my that often and find it clunky when I do, but I had a friend whose 3LT Carbon tripod just came apart (apparently a Carbon Fibre Bonding Issue), so that doesn't inspire confidence.

Given what you want to do, and how many years you want it to last, I think I'd be looking at a Gitzo (new or secondhand), I know they are expensive but they do meet all your requirements. Just have to disturb those moths at the bottom of your wallet!

Hello all,

I'm ashamed to admit that I fell for the photographers blackmail some years ago as well. I bought a s/h Pentax S1a and used it for about 20 years. I kept seeing adverts for the Olympus OM1 and waited until I could afford one of those s/h.

Was it any better! Well of course it wasn't. Fooled again.

Cheers - J

Well my purchase of the Nikon 24-70mm fell through (mutual agreement I should add) so I went for a 20mm prime instead and with the money I saved I bought a Lee filter system with Super Stopper, just waiting for the 62mm wide angle adapter to show up.

advertisement

Back