advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

@Lefty

Whilst my 3LT tripod is ok, I wouldn't be rushing to buy another 3LT product, I don't use my that often and find it clunky when I do, but I had a friend whose 3LT Carbon tripod just came apart (apparently a Carbon Fibre Bonding Issue), so that doesn't inspire confidence.

Given what you want to do, and how many years you want it to last, I think I'd be looking at a Gitzo (new or secondhand), I know they are expensive but they do meet all your requirements. Just have to disturb those moths at the bottom of your wallet!

The Gitzo seems inevitable doesn't it! :D

Seriously though, I think my current plan is to try and repair the Manfrotto. I think it comes with a lifetime warranty and that ring should not have fallen off. I'll see if I can blag the part for free...

No moths at the bottom of Amar's wallet. He buys a completely new camera system every 18 months!

That's actually surprisingly accurate! Although that would mean I've still got until the end of the year with the Z7 :D

Lefty

My latest photo related Ebay purchase is a Panasonic G5 converted for IR photography. I used to take some IR stuff back in the film days and liked the effect and it might mean I make use of the various micro 4/3 lenses I've got that aren't getting used much these days.

When am going to stop buying books!!

2-books.jpg

https://bluecoatpress.co.uk/product/the-two-book-paperback-offer/

ndSr66Th.jpg

https://www.caferoyalbooks.com/shop/tish-murtha-newport-doc-photo-class-of-78

My latest photo related Ebay purchase is a Panasonic G5 converted for IR photography. I used to take some IR stuff back in the film days and liked the effect and it might mean I make use of the various micro 4/3 lenses I've got that aren't getting used much these days.

The G5 has arrived and while it's not ideal weather for IR photography (as it's cloudy) I've taken a few snaps and it seems to work well enough. Also doesn't look like the Olympus 9-18mm I'm most likely to use with it suffers from hot-spot issues, which is good:

170705297.7yqxdlSt.ir101.jpg

I took the IR converted G5 on my dog-walk this morning as there were blue skies so better to get the IR effect:

170706841.gtCbT0YG.6b105.jpg

Nice!

I've got one of the non auto-focus 645's plus a few lenses. I've been thinking about getting a 645N body as one of the lenses I have (the 45-85mm zoom) is an AF one.

I accidentally bought one of those at an auction back in February, which meant that I had to get a camera to go with it. Silly me.

SRS had an offer on for the battery grip for my K1 and that arrived today. Seems useful when using bigger lenses and the handling reminds of my old Pentax Z1p as that had a similar (if less sophisticated) grip adaptor.

170732316.Am17pqiE.ga101.jpg

Going to have a dabble with video, got some project ideas and my wife wants to have a go as well.

To that effect, I've been flexing the credit card A couple of Aputure LED panels, and Zoom H5 sound recorder on there way to me.

Just bought a Google Pixel 3a XL to replace, and hopefully improve on the terrible camera in my Nokia 7 plus.

Equally valid - the best camera you have, is the one you are carrying when you want one...

Very true and why I bought one of the little Sony RX100's which I pretty much always have with me. Yes my K1 is better, but the little Sony is pretty decent and far, far more likely to actually be with me.

Argh.... the ink has just run out on my Canon Pro-1000 printer. That'll be £480 then :(

Argh.... the ink has just run out on my Canon Pro-1000 printer. That'll be £480 then :(

WEX we’re doing a deal a couple of months ago where you got an extra set of inks for the Pro-1000, effectively giving you a free (spare) printer, Shame that offers not on now!!

WEX we’re doing a deal a couple of months ago where you got an extra set of inks for the Pro-1000, effectively giving you a free (spare) printer, Shame that offers not on now!!

That's a great deal! Shame it's not available now.

Pretty sure I saw a full set of inks for £420 not too long ago, but looks like they've all gone back up to the regular price. I'll also need a new maintenance cartridge taking the total to £500.

Have you had to change the ink on yours yet?

Jesus, what, all of it at the same time?

How many prints for your 500 odd quid?

It's currently indicating 3 of the 12 cartridges are empty but in my experience, once some go, the rest follow soon after.

Difficult to say exactly how many pages you get, but it's a fair amount. Having said that, there is a lot of ink wastage in cleaning and maintenance cycles. Defintely not a cheap pursuit!

Lefty

advertisement

Back