advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

I'm wavering over buying a square filter system - K&F Concept Pro Square, probably. Lee being a bit too rich!

I'm wavering over buying a square filter system - K&F Concept Pro Square, probably. Lee being a bit too rich!

I'd buy a s/h good condition set. Until you know what you really want to use, personally I think they are a faff, and you might after using them. Buying s/h you are likely to get most of your money back!

I'd rather use screw in filters and step rings where required. I don't really feel the need for grads these days, so I tend to stick to ND, polarisers and Diffusion filters (and occassionally palin glass when in harsh environments!)

I priced up screw-in filters and step rings versus the square system and there's not a great deal in it (price-wise). I hadn't considered buying used tbf.

I priced up screw-in filters and step rings versus the square system and there's not a great deal in it (price-wise). I hadn't considered buying used tbf.
Usually plenary of used kits on sale because people realise they rarely use them. I’ve the usual four screw in, nothing more. If I could retire and do pro-level landscape, I’d fill my boots with them.

The Samyang IMHO is OK, it colour renders different to Fuji Glass and focuses past infinity, but most of the time if you set to just under 3m, everything from just beyond your feet to the horizon will be infocus.

I have had two, and sold it each time, its not a lens for me!!
FWIW I ended up buying one to try, from MPB. Sadly, the one I chose had a weird optical defect where the left edge of the frame was really soft, especially when focusing at infinity. Stopping down to f11 helped a bit, but it was still not right. Otherwise the lens was acceptably sharp and, apart from a bit of vignetting (as expected), it seemed okay. It's going back - MPB are good about this stuff - and I've selected another from their stock of this lens. Hopefully this will be okay, as it seems to be a pretty decent lens all-told. A bit of Googling suggests that the symptom I experienced might be due to a decentred internal lens element. Pity, but not a big problem since they're replacing.

Decided to wait out the 90/2 purchase for a bit. The 56/1.2 I have is a stunning lens and is very croppable. It's also razor sharp at f4 and above, and still very sharp at f1.2 (though DOF is critical there). So I can make more use of that, and try to calm the GAS somewhat....

Still want square filters, though. Very tempted to just buy some and be done...

FWIW I ended up buying one to try, from MPB. Sadly, the one I chose had a weird optical defect where the left edge of the frame was really soft, especially when focusing at infinity. Stopping down to f11 helped a bit, but it was still not right. Otherwise the lens was acceptably sharp and, apart from a bit of vignetting (as expected), it seemed okay. It's going back - MPB are good about this stuff - and I've selected another from their stock of this lens. Hopefully this will be okay, as it seems to be a pretty decent lens all-told. A bit of Googling suggests that the symptom I experienced might be due to a decentred internal lens element. Pity, but not a big problem since they're replacing.

Decided to wait out the 90/2 purchase for a bit. The 56/1.2 I have is a stunning lens and is very croppable. It's also razor sharp at f4 and above, and still very sharp at f1.2 (though DOF is critical there). So I can make more use of that, and try to calm the GAS somewhat....

Still want square filters, though. Very tempted to just buy some and be done...

Samyangs can be a bit iffy with regard to quality control, I suppose you get what you pay for.

The 56mm F1.2 produces great starbursts when stopped down

151019 Hartley Quay sm
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

At Park Cameras today for an instructional talk by Andy Farrer and there was a 10% off offer on RF lenses so I picked up a 50/1.8. Seriously considered the 100/2.8 Macro too but might wait a while.

The latest book on the shelf - Alister Benn's 'Out of Darkness':

52782013785_9c85de7c1d_c.jpg

Alister Benn was the first YouTube photographer I started watching during early lockdown on his Expressive Photography channel, primarily because he interviewed photographers I hadn't come across before including Bruce Percy (thank you!). There is an interesting back-story to the book which features images from the Gobi Desert, transitioning from dark to light. It's beautifully produced & printed & a lovely late Christmas gift to immerse yourself in

Photography Disposal Post:

I've offered to help my neighbour move on his OM10 + 28mm wide angle lens. It comes boxed with a strap, leather case, lens hood & skylight filter which I normally wouldn't recommend but the wide angle front element is pretty exposed. The camera was bought new & from his recollection has had no more than 5 films put through it. He couldn't get on with it & went back to his Olympus Trip. It is immaculate, although the wide angle was a display unit & comes with a non-Olympus case. As far as I can see there is no dust or fungus in either lens & having put new batteries in it it works as expected

I've put it here in case anyone on the thread in interested before it goes in classified & then Ebay. Prices seem to vary widely, but I was thinking of £60 for the camera, £40 for the 28mm + p&p. If interested please get in touch

52782071753_879a9ff35f_c.jpg

52782013855_b978249e17_c.jpg

Is the 28mm f2.8 or F3.5. If the former it might be worth a bit more.

Oh, I've had a zoom in and it is a 2.8. Worth checking.

Photography Disposal Post:

I've offered to help my neighbour move on his OM10 + 28mm wide angle lens. It comes boxed with a strap, leather case, lens hood & skylight filter which I normally wouldn't recommend but the wide angle front element is pretty exposed. The camera was bought new & from his recollection has had no more than 5 films put through it. He couldn't get on with it & went back to his Olympus Trip. It is immaculate, although the wide angle was a display unit & comes with a non-Olympus case. As far as I can see there is no dust or fungus in either lens & having put new batteries in it it works as expected

I've put it here in case anyone on the thread in interested before it goes in classified & then Ebay. Prices seem to vary widely, but I was thinking of £60 for the camera, £40 for the 28mm + p&p. If interested please get in touch

52782071753_879a9ff35f_c.jpg

52782013855_b978249e17_c.jpg

That does look like it is in nice cosmetic condition, but unfortunately cosmetic condition alone is not enough to make a purchasing decision on a 40 year old electronic camera.

What is the condition of the foam light seals? If they have not been replaced the are likely have turned to a sticky mess. It is a cheap but fiddly job to change, I would take it to a camera repair shop and they would charge £20 to change the seals.

If the camera has been stored for decades with a battery installed this may have corroded causing damage to the electronics. Has the camera been operationally tested with a new battery?

This camera is known for problems with the shutter timing caused by oil on the shutter release magnet. The only way to be sure it does not have this problem would be to run a test film through to make sure it is not significantly overexposing.

Most of these cameras on ebay sell with the excellent 50mm f1.8 lens which by itself is worth £30-40. To get £60 for the body only it would need the operational QC checks described above and ideally a warranty for the first film. No point having a mint camera if it doesn’t work.

Perhaps I misunderstood if the £60 includes the 50mm f1.8. If it does I might be interested if you can do some operational tests with a new battery.

I run all my Olympus OM cameras through Luton Camera Repairs. It costs £120, but you can be confident that it will function as new when it comes back.

I realise of course that an OM10 will never be worth the cost of the service, but were I the buyer I would accept that outlay as part of the cost of owning the camera.

I'm officially jealous! :D

I'm also spending far more money on trips away / accommodation / food / fuel etc than gear these days.

Although that doesn't mean I don't occasionally find myself listing after gear. Although it's usually driven by a practical need (e.g. the Nikkor Z 24-200 which would listen my kit bag, allowing me to go higher / longer / faster).

Lefty

Ha, just extend the week in Skye with a week in Harris/Lewis - now you are doubly jealous :D:p:D

We should do another Snowdonia day later in the year!

Ha, just extend the week in Skye with a week in Harris/Lewis - now you are doubly jealous :D:p:D

We should do another Snowdonia day later in the year!

Brilliant! Would have been rude not to call in at Harris / Lewis seeing as you're in that neck of the woods anyway.

We definitely should - I'd be up for that! Shoot me a PM some time with dates that work for you and we'll sort something. Maybe we could meet up with @ff1d1l while we're there as well?

Amar

Brilliant! Would have been rude not to call in at Harris / Lewis seeing as you're in that neck of the woods anyway.

We definitely should - I'd be up for that! Shoot me a PM some time with dates that work for you and we'll sort something. Maybe we could meet up with @ff1d1l while we're there as well?

Amar
I'd enjoy that. Let me know when you both can make it.:)

advertisement

Back