advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

The OM10 arrived and is in museum condition. Its not very often that you find a 40 year old camera with all the original packaging and documentation.

I would of bought the 28mm lens but I already have a copy of this excellent lens. I think I paid double what John is asking.

All I want is a Canon R5 with Leica glass and Leica color science, is that really too much to ask?

Second Samyang 12/2 arrived at the tail end of last week. It's much better than the first but perhaps I'm being super fussy but it's just not that sharp at infinity anywhere (despite trying incremental adjustments throughout the infinity-end of the manual focus range using a tripod etc.). It sharpens up OK in post, but for a lens that is often described as 'razor sharp' it's a bit underwhelming. I do like the ergonomics of it, and I don't really want the bulk of a 10-24 zoom (nor the cost). Maybe I just don't need a 12mm when I already have the 16/1.4. There's obviously a difference between the 18mm-eq.fov and the 24mm-eq.fov but I'm beginning to question how much that's a requirement versus an itch I felt I needed to scratch..... anyway, will take more just to be sure and I can always return. It wasn't expensive.

Second Samyang 12/2 arrived at the tail end of last week. It's much better than the first but perhaps I'm being super fussy but it's just not that sharp at infinity anywhere (despite trying incremental adjustments throughout the infinity-end of the manual focus range using a tripod etc.). It sharpens up OK in post, but for a lens that is often described as 'razor sharp' it's a bit underwhelming. I do like the ergonomics of it, and I don't really want the bulk of a 10-24 zoom (nor the cost). Maybe I just don't need a 12mm when I already have the 16/1.4. There's obviously a difference between the 18mm-eq.fov and the 24mm-eq.fov but I'm beginning to question how much that's a requirement versus an itch I felt I needed to scratch..... anyway, will take more just to be sure and I can always return. It wasn't expensive.

You don't need to focus anywhere near infinity on teh scale for objects to be in focus in the distance if you are stopping down the lens. I suggest putting it around 3m (F8/F11) and seeing how you get on.

I've had two cvopies of this lens in teh past and sold both on relatively quickly. IMHO you usually don't need as wide as this, and I would rather turn the 16mm vertically (gives the same FOV Height, as the Samyang horizontall) and make a 2-3 shot pano, for those few times when I want wider.

You've scratched the itch now, just got decide if if you really need it!

Reactions: JTC
Focus on the 12/2 seems to vary even given what you said above. DoF might well be massive but it seems the zone of acceptably sharp focus even at f8 seems to vary noticeably depending on fine adjustments at close to the infinity marking. Maybe I am just over-fussy, or maybe the 16/1.4 and/or Leica Summilux 28 have set the bar just too high?

Considering returning it and getting the 90/2 I am also keen on (but that’s a fair bit more) and making do with the 16/1.4…

Focus on the 12/2 seems to vary even given what you said above. DoF might well be massive but it seems the zone of acceptably sharp focus even at f8 seems to vary noticeably depending on fine adjustments at close to the infinity marking. Maybe I am just over-fussy, or maybe the 16/1.4 and/or Leica Summilux 28 have set the bar just too high?

Considering returning it and getting the 90/2 I am also keen on (but that’s a fair bit more) and making do with the 16/1.4…

The 16mm F1.4 is a stellar lens, and until the recent lens releases was one of the best primes, I think the new 18mm F1.4 runs it close now. You get what you pay for with Samyangs, some copies seem to be excellent, most are so-so, I suspect that batch consistency is a real issue (this applies to a lot of their lenses, plenty of Sony users on other forums moan about Samyangs). The problem is that once you find an issue it cannot be unseen!

The 90mm F2 is an exceptional lens and just loves to be shot wide open. Its only issue is that you do need quite a bit of space (as its 135mm equivalent), so its use indoors is very limited, but the images are sublime, so its worth the effort.

OK, have arranged a return and bought a 90/2. I'm not writing off the return to a wider lens, but the 16/1.4 is fairly wide and a great lens as you say. The 90/2 was almost inevitable, since my lenses go 16, 18-55, 35, 56 and then a big leap to 100-400. So there was a bit of a gap between 56 and 100, even if I could arguably live with it. The 56 is a wonderful lens, but sometimes it's not got quite the reach I'd like, and the 100-400 is a beast of a thing and not always something you want to carry around. So something with more reach but less bulk makes sense. I also have a Samyang 8/2.8 fish-eye for shits and giggles. That thing is very sharp, you really don't need to focus and is everything I'd hoped the 12/2 would be.

Plus there's the delightful Q2, which is in a class of its own :)

As it turned out, despite it being a holiday the 90/2 arrived today. I'm not long back from a short walk-about: just me, the XT2 and the 90/2. What an incredible lens. That is all I have to say.

Needed a bit of retail therapy to cheer me up so scratched an itch and bought a mint Sony A900 and Sigma Art 35mm F1.4 lens.

No live view or video - just a proper lump of a camera with a great viewfinder.

In the continuing journey of 'getting a lot for not a lot' I've just been and picked this up. In lovely condition (it's nigh on spotless) with all accessories/box etc.

The Fujikon...Fukon...Nikofilm? S5 Pro. A D200 with Fujifilm guts...

Fujon? by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Does laaavely jpegs...

St Andrews by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

S5 Pro/Nikkor 35-1.8 DX

I too always harboured a bit of a hankering for an S5. I'm looking forward to hearing how you find it against your D200. I'm certainly enjoying the results so far.

advertisement

Back